Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
nassausky

Lost mouse pointer after restart x server

#141 Post by nassausky »

During a basic live boot of Puppy 4.3.1 after connecting to the ethernet card and going online and downloading x11vnc-server PET file. The install goes fine but in order to see the GUI listing in the network menu I had to restart X-server. After doing so I lost the mouse pointer. It actually does work but it's invisible. I was able to start up the gui and attach to the machine remotely and on the remote control side, I can see the host mouse pointer but it doesn't show up in that host Puppy 4.3.1 machine.

BTW a note off topic... If anyone builds an ISO with puppy 4.3.1 including a vnc server, samba & ssh give me a shout :)

asatbluesboy

#142 Post by asatbluesboy »

bill wrote:Hi asatbluesboy,There for sure are applications that do not play well
with others.When things happen ,like has visited you,have you considered removing the suspected culprit,reboot and audit the results.
If after this,and nothing good happens,you will have an answer.It is always easy to reinstall.cheers
Thanks for the response, Bill. Fortunately, it was simpler than I thought. I went to the desktop drive icons manager and found out it was set to show the floppy icon even if it weren't there... Shame on me. :oops:

Whitesnow

Six sfs limit

#143 Post by Whitesnow »

I have seen that bootmanager, like 4.3.0., boots not more than six sfs. Why? How to increase?

Thank you in advance. :)

Bye.
[b][i][color=darkred][size=134]*.* Snow *.*[/size][/color][/i][/b] :wink:

ICPUG

#144 Post by ICPUG »

I have seen that bootmanager, like 4.3.0., boots not more than six sfs. Why?

Unquote

Good question. That is what Barry used in Puppy 4.1.2 and carried forward to 4.3.x

Puppy 4.2.1 allows more.

How to increase? It needs a change to the init script in initrd.gz. If someone wants to address that problem then be my guest.

Other alternatives:

Use SFS Combiner to combine some sfs files so that you only have 6.

Use sfs linker
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47465

for a brand new way of using a large number of sfs.

vtpup

#145 Post by vtpup »

ICPUG wrote: "I have seen that bootmanager, like 4.3.0., boots not more than six sfs. Why?"

Good question. That is what Barry used in Puppy 4.1.2 and carried forward to 4.3.x
Nope. It was 3 sfs in 4.1.2 and is 6 .sfs in 4.3.1
"How to increase? It needs a change to the init script in initrd.gz."

If someone wants to address that problem then be my guest.
Already done awhile ago. In fact, that's why 4.2 had it. See:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36733

ecomoney

Facebook Chat

#146 Post by ecomoney »

Hi, discovered facebook chat doesnt work. Seems to be a problem with Seamonkey 1.xx series (2.xx series does work).

Yes facebook chat is "an application for everyday use" Im afraid. :wink:
Attachments
facebook-chat-error.png
(146.53 KiB) Downloaded 778 times
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Max connected sfs files is 5 not 6

#147 Post by Béèm »

I just discovered this as before I didn't have the need to connect 6 sfs files at boot.
Altho 6 advertised in reality only 5 are taken into account.

Why not raise the figure of 6 to 10.
And yes I know I could combine sfs files now.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

tempestuous

#148 Post by tempestuous »

It appears that PREFLIST (or pup_event) is not working properly to set priority of one module over another, as reported by jemimah here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 201#367201

Several other forum members have reported similar problems involving conflicting modules, but jemimah is the first to accurately report which particular module loads after setting up the PREFLIST configuration.

ICPUG

#149 Post by ICPUG »

vtpup

thanks for correcting me regarding the number of sfs allowed in 4.1.2. The thrust of my comment was the same however - 4.2.1 allowed more than 4.1.2 or 4.3.1.

As your link shows, modifying the initrd.gz was done for 4.1.2 and incorporated into 4.2.1 - however that task remains for 4.3.1 - so to help Whitesnow or Beem it would be necessary for someone to do this task. You cannot simply slot in a 4.1.2 (or 4.2.1) initrd.gz into a 4.3.1 system.

diaeresis

#150 Post by diaeresis »

sfs issue now on bug tracker.
(as is a lot of this thread, Thanks, your welcome)

ecomoney

#151 Post by ecomoney »

Ive added the facebook chat error to the google bug tracker also. Facebook is kinda important. :roll:
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

diaeresis

#152 Post by diaeresis »

I already did that last night :cry:
Efficient aren't I?
This thread is all read through at this point, one or two posts not on the tracker yet as I pm'd the posters to try and get clarification of bits and bobs. Lots of posts not really bugs so didn't go on. The outstanding posts that I am waiting on responses should be on by the end of the week. I will keep watching the thread and put new posts onto the tracker unless it has already been done.
:wink:
Job jobbed and it's a good'un.

Lisa Fine

Help with 4.3.1

#153 Post by Lisa Fine »

I made a full install of Puppy 4.3.1. Everything seems to be fine EXCEPT the program does not giveme the option to save on shutdown, nor will it load pupsave files previously saved (using boot from CD or USB). Is there anything I can do to modify this or is it a bug?

Thanks!

ecomoney

#154 Post by ecomoney »

Thank you diaeresis for doing this important job! Shall I delete my report?

ICPUG

#155 Post by ICPUG »

Lisa Fine,

If you did a full install - it doesn't need to save a pupsave file first time or load a previous one on bootup. Changes made are saved directly to the Linux filesystem on the hard drive.

A pupsave is only needed when you use the live CD or do a frugal install.

Lisa Fine

Duh -- long day on the computer

#156 Post by Lisa Fine »

Yes, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for letting me know. I was going nuts thinking I had missed something regarding the pupsave :)

The only bad part is I have a pupsave from my CD booted sessions and will lose data and whatnot now that I have converted to the full installation :(

But I'm just glad that things are working okay!

Best --

Lisa

PaulBx1

#157 Post by PaulBx1 »

I had problems with abiword. I was working with a document, cutting, pasting and changing fonts, and all at once the document displayed complete garbage. I saved it in a temp file and re-opened it, and it looked fine. Happened a few times, but now for some reason I am unable to reproduce the failure.

Pizzasgood

Re: Duh -- long day on the computer

#158 Post by Pizzasgood »

Lisa Fine wrote:The only bad part is I have a pupsave from my CD booted sessions and will lose data and whatnot now that I have converted to the full installation :(
Click on the save file. Puppy should mount it and open a window inside, so that you can grab the data you want to keep. Click it again to unmount it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

diaeresis

#159 Post by diaeresis »

PaulBx1, Abiword has often given issues like that if you search the forum. Scrolling can bork it badly as well. I won't put it on the tracker because I believe Abiword is already being dealt with for 4.4
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2914963dbd
Somewhere in that thread it gets a mention.

diaeresis

#160 Post by diaeresis »

Two suggestions.

First one is going to make some people growl but so be it.
I have been using windows since 95 or thereabouts and only started using puppy 3 months or so ago.
One thing I so so miss is a unified print dialogue.
It doesn't matter what application you use in windows you get the same print dialogue and the same result.
Puppy: mtpaint needs to be set up with the right command before it will print and gives you no set up dialogue just starts printing. Firefox gives it's own basic dialogue, Abiword and Gnumeric need fettling before they find the cups printer. etc etc. Today I downloaded gtklp.
Oh My God.
Could that possibly be set as a unified print dialogue that each and every application calls up when the print command is issued? It has virtually all you need, is clean and straightforward and (sorry) is extremely familiar to all those windows users out there. And making it easy for new users to get results is surely A Good Thing.

Second one, that pmirrorget website downloader. That needs a big red button with STOP written on it.
I tried to download a site containing some picture repositories (not that sort of picture you smutty minded schoolboy!) and off Pmirrorget went. I had my dinner and went back to the screen, Still going. Hmmmm. 1 hour later, still going, 1.5 hours later still going Oooh, 2 hours later. Shit, how do I turn this off, where's the stop button, Shit Shit the whole internet is going to be on my compooter, There isn't room, it's going to leak out and start filling the room, then the house, then the world....Help,help. HELP.
Just a simple way of stopping it that those unfamiliar with process manager, kill etc could use. Trying to find a man page for kill while the whole interweb is being sucked into your living room is slightly stressful!