Coming Soon: Fluppy for netbooks, widescreens, smallscreens

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#121 Post by jemimah »

Thanks Tempestuous!

I did have a lot of problems with the eee module crashing the kernel on my 1005HA. Puppeee4.31 will have the asus_eee module which does the same thing as the eee module, but has more error checking. I don't think I will include any fan control software in Pupeee by default since it's relatively easy to cook your processor if you don't know what you are doing with it.

jemimah

#122 Post by jemimah »

jemimah

#123 Post by jemimah »

I've updated the acpid pet I posted earlier. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 150#352150

omskates

#124 Post by omskates »

IMHO I'm excited to see what you do with Fluppy. I hope there's an LXlauncher UI option. I havn't downloaded one "netbook" targeted OS that hasn't been completely annoying e.g.(easypeasy, UNR, Moblin, GOS, etc.) I won't be needing pupeee but still, I'm following the threads out of interest and you seem to do great work. Thanks :D

jemimah

#125 Post by jemimah »

Yeah, it's weird most of the netbook distos think a netbook should be more like a smartphone than a laptop.

I'm working right now on making a pet for the window manager. Hopefully it should be done by the end of the week.

Incidentally, I've gotten a report that Puppeee kind of works on the Acer Aspire One. If that's what you have, it might be worth a try just for kicks.

jemimah

#126 Post by jemimah »

It's here! To install, click the pet, then Restart X. On some puplets, the Restart X menu option doesn't work. In that case, just reboot.

Edit, I've moved the download to the first post of this thread so you can find it easier
Last edited by jemimah on Thu 10 Dec 2009, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

omskates

#127 Post by omskates »

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks :D I'll play with this a while.

elraven

fluppy for netobooks, widescreens smallscreens

#128 Post by elraven »

hi fellow fluppians :D
during a mixture of bordom and unbridled curiosity , i install fluppy in spup 451. i have a small monitor the old gateway 2000 vivitron. When i rebooted came back to desktop ,there it was fluppy. Now i don't care what it sounds like but i love you man for this . It's just what i need. . well if you'll excuse me . i'm going to go play with it while. catch ya later.
elraven 8)

jemimah

#129 Post by jemimah »

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll be posting an xbindkeys package with hotkeys for many of the functions as well, so you have a choice of mouse or keyboard.

davesurrey

#130 Post by davesurrey »

Hello jemima,
Firstly Happy Thanksgiving.

I just tried out your fluppy.pet on puppy431 and puppy431.1 both frugal installs plus a full install of puppy431. In all cases:

1. after installing the pet I need to reboot as restart X-server doesn't work. shutdown/reboot from the menu doesn't work either.( so have to do ctlr+alt+backspace)
2. when rebooted I see fluppy and first impressions are excellent.
3. change windows manager doesn't work, restart x-server and reboot work
4. after a further reboot fluppy persists
5. un-installing fluppy works but then I can't use reboot nor shut-down from the menu. (need ctlr+alt+backspace again)
6. after rebooting I get back to normal desktop. everything working again.

None of the above is of any major concern to me as they are just install woes but thought you might like to know.

Cheers
Dave

jemimah

#131 Post by jemimah »

Yeah those are inherited bugs from 4.31 that I haven't bothered to fix. I probably should.

pri

#132 Post by pri »

rox as bar and flwm.. great...

here i reporting un usual thing i had :

1. systray on rox is gone after change windwos manager to jwm. when running jwm there is rox bar still come up but, when go back to flwm tray on rox was gone. the tray was gone when on jwm. ( i think crush when running jwm, because tray is never run dobel)

2. when changging theme for gtk and flwm restart to command prompt. but theme was succesfully when go back to window manager. but i must manualy go back to wm.

( puppy 4.3.1 x server)
Learning by Doing

jemimah

#133 Post by jemimah »

Yeah, when rox starts and the jwm panel starts, there can only be one systray, and jwm panel wins. I will fix the next version to start rox panel only if flwm is started. You can put the systray back into rox panel by going to /root/my-roxpanel-applets, and dragging it onto the panel.

If you change your window manager, you need to know that you should run Flwm with the script 'startflwm'. If you just do 'xwin flwm' it will die when you try to change themes.

davesurrey

acpi plus puppy431.1 with an asus 901

#134 Post by davesurrey »

jemimah,
If I use your acpid-1.0.10-eee and your acpitool-0.5.1-i486 and your synclient-0.1.4.6 pets on my asus 901 with puppy 431.1

I get:
Fn2 toggles wifi and BT on/off
Fn3 and Fn4 adjust Brightness
Fn5 says "VGA not connected"
Fn6 brings up Process Manager
Fn7 doesn't affect mute
Fn8 and Fn9 don't adjust volume
Silver key 1 toggles BT
Silver key 2 says I need to install synclient (it's installed)
Silver key 3 does nothing
Silver key 4 does nothing

I guess Silver 2 is because I have the Elantech pad.

Do you anticipate being able to get the other keys working soon?
Or are there other pets I should be using?

I'm starting to think I might prefer to use Puppy 431.1 plus your scripts rather than puppeee431. Reason is that you have based puppeee on the original 431 but puppy 431.1 from ttuuxxx has firefox and a lot of apps that I prefer over the original puppy 431.
Thanks
Dave

jemimah

#135 Post by jemimah »

I've updated the scripts a bit for the latest version of Puppeee. I will update the pet tomorrow probably.

On the 901 you also need to add cpu-freq-utils to that list for power management. Sound on some models of EEE have no master volume on the stock kernel, causing the sound hotkeys not to work. You can check here for a potential solution http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49055

Originally, I had intended to base Puppeee from Puppies, but the first time Firefox autoupdated itself, I got "bus error" and it no longer worked. Do you know if that's been fixed? I thought it was wiser to stick with a known stable system for testing the new kernel. Once everything's working to my satisfaction, I'll probably rebuild with different apps, and call it Fluppeee. It would not take terribly long to turn any puplet into a Puppeee varieant, but I don't want to mess with that until I'm done with beta testing.

jemimah

#136 Post by jemimah »

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#137 Post by Béèm »

Would this run on a laptop IBM R40 Thinkpad as well?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

jemimah

#138 Post by jemimah »

I'm not sure if you mean Fluppy, or acpid. The answer is Fluppy:yes, acpid-eee:no.

raybaq

MSI Wind 100

#139 Post by raybaq »

I have an MSI Wind U100 netbook and would love to test Fluppy on it. I hope "more general netbook kernel" means that the Wind U100's RTL8187 wireless chip will be supported.

Thanks!

Ray

jemimah

#140 Post by jemimah »

I will try. I've learned a lot from working on Puppeee so I'm getting better at this kernel thing. :D Sadly it's a constant battle to keep up with netbook hardware.

You can try the Fluppy window manager pet with regular Puppy if you like. The download link is a few posts up on this thread.