Puppy Linux Windows Users: exe installer programs

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
steve_s

#41 Post by steve_s »

All right. Through a natural progression we seem to have two projects going on in this thread, all with the same ultimate goal: make it easier for Window's people to get Puppy going. One project: exe file to put a good bootable usb flash drive together. Very close on that one.

And the other project is to get WakePup2 in an exe file to quickly put it on a flash drive. Please to announce that, through the encouragement and testing of Sylvander, we now have that together. I took our successful wakepup exe file and put it in another exe file, so now it is accessable through a standard Window's double click.

WakePup2 as an EXE file for Window's
Download the attached zip file, unpack it, make sure you have a formatted, ready-to-go floppy in the A: drive, double-click this downloaded wakepup2-img-write.EXE file and watch it go! 8) It will put the WakePup image file, unpacked on your floppy drive.

PLEASE TEST, Sylvander (and of course anyone else that wants) to confirm, but I did it, it works and boots on the test floppy. :D

On this aspect of the project, of course, absolute prop's go out to the creator of WakePup, forum member pakt.
Attachments
wakep1.jpg
(68.29 KiB) Downloaded 1345 times
wakep2.jpg
(59.77 KiB) Downloaded 1355 times
wakep3.jpg
(67.66 KiB) Downloaded 1322 times

steve_s

#42 Post by steve_s »

T_Hobbit wrote:
steve_s wrote: As far as whether or not Puppy is saving, did it load any kind of save file? Have we produced a save file with this version? We may need to look back to the original thread with T_Hobbit's comments and see if there were issues with this version creating a save file..if that isn't loaded we may have to track down the issues this version of Puppy on the usb drive is creating regarding the save file... :?
I can't help with wakepup 'cos I don't have a working computer with floppy drive... But I made a Puppy USB drive and it asked if I want to save a pup_save... I always boot Puppy this way with no problems!
Which FAT you have? More than 1 partition?
In a couple of hours I can try it as soon as I get home!
Ha! Figured it out! See if you gent's can get your save file working as well.

I had the usb all booted, runs good. Mounted it:

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/sdb1
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
And I noticed that although all the file names were lower case, a few of the file extensions were upper case: help.MSG, boot.MSG, and initrd.GZ.

Still via command I used the mv command to change each one 'cause rox wouldn't let me do it:

mv initrd.GZ initrd2.gz
mv initrd2.gz initrd.gz
for each of those.

Then it asked if I wanted to save it after that, then it loaded the new save file on next boot...

If you gentlemen can confirm then I'll change the exe program to reflect the new changes and we are golden.

8)
Attachments
savefile-proof.jpg
Just evidence that I saved some different settings and it worked...
(73.71 KiB) Downloaded 1363 times

T_Hobbit

#43 Post by T_Hobbit »

@steve_s: did you use "dd for Windows"? Wakepup is a image writen to a floppy, right? Maybe "dd" is more case sensitive friendly...

@Sylvander: you're booting using wakepup, right? Are you able to boot some computer with your flash drive only? Maybe wakepup is passing pfix=ram to the boot process... or maybe this is just a stupid idea! :P
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

steve_s

#44 Post by steve_s »

T_Hobbit wrote:@steve_s: did you use "dd for Windows"? Wakepup is a image writen to a floppy, right? Maybe "dd" is more case sensitive friendly...

@Sylvander: you're booting using wakepup, right? Are you able to boot some computer with your flash drive only? Maybe wakepup is passing pfix=ram to the boot process... or maybe this is just a stupid idea! :P
Nah, the Wakepup part is all set. I used the Windows equivalent of the dd, then put that in another exe. It's golden.

As far as passing the pfix=ram to usb, not a stupid idea, but I do think it is all about the capitalization aspect...want to see if Sylvander can do the same I did with the extensions...

I've made the exe and am testing...

Sylvander

#45 Post by Sylvander »

(a) Downloaded wakepup2-img-write.zip, rebooted into Windows, unzipped the wakepup2-img-write.EXE file and used that to write the files to the usual floppy previously formatted yet again in BoxPup.

(b) Rebooted to the new wakepup2 floppy.
This [as per usual][on the 1st boot] halted right before the loading of the files from the USB Flash Drive, but succeeded at the 2nd run.

2. "I noticed that although all the file names were lower case, a few of the file extensions were upper case: help.MSG, boot.MSG, and initrd.GZ"
Not in my case; all the file names and extensions are lower case. [See my screenshot in previous post]
And yet, still no opportunity is given to save.

steve_s

#46 Post by steve_s »

Ok, I started back over, from scratch.

I have it to where it boots ever time and saves ever time I want it to.

I am redoing the exe file...it's got usbflash on it too. 8)

Let me test it a little more and hack a little bit more before I post it...

Sylvander

#47 Post by Sylvander »

Regarding PROBLEM3:

1. A WakePup2 floppy made using the normal method within BoxPup exhibits the same problem symptoms. :?
e.g.
(a) I formatted a floppy within BoxPup.
(b) Used the WakePup2 program to write the necessary files to the floppy.
(c) Rebooted with the floppy in its drive, and the USB Flash Drive in place.
(d) The blue LED on the Flash Drive was constantly lit and unblinking.
(e) The process twice halted immediately prior to the point where the Puppy files are loaded off the Flash Drive.
[I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart]
(f) At some point during the 2nd attempt, the blue LED began flashing.
I knew from past experience that this is a good sign, and I could now expect success at the next attempt.
(g) At the beginning of the 3rd attempt, the LED was unblinking, but at a certain point it began blinking, and the files began loading, and Puppy booted successfully.

2. Is this a problem with my hardware or what?

3. I notice that on a neighbours PC...
[I'm showing him Puppy booting from an optical disk and Flash Drive, on his PC]
When the identical boot process got to the same point [of loading the files off the Flash Drive], his PC gives a constant/unvarying [rather quiet] beep tone.
Sound like a warning of something.
His PC's BIOS [like mine] doesn't support booting USB.

T_Hobbit

#48 Post by T_Hobbit »

Are you using acpi=off option? Or pci=noacpi?
I remembered just now that on my old laptopn I had a similar problem with 4.3.1.
I solved it by using one of that options to boot correctly and I needed to had xorgwizard rightly finished to see the question about saving on shutdown.
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

Sylvander

#49 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Are you using acpi=off option? Or pci=noacpi?"
(a) I don't even know what that means.
OK, looked it up in Wikipedia.
That's enabled in my PC's BIOS I believe, and so far as I know no configuration has been made to switch it off in any Puppy.
I have it enabled in Win2000Pro.

(b) I have never previously had PROBLEM3 with any Puppy I've ever run; this is the only one.
Mind you, Puppy 4.2.1-rc3 is the only other I run from a Flash Drive, and it has always saved normally.

T_Hobbit

#50 Post by T_Hobbit »

The new Puppy versions have a kernel that doesn't work that good with old hardware.

Edit your syslinux.cfg and you must see something like

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash fastboot
Add acpi=off to the end. If it doesn't work, try pci=noacpi.
Remember that if you xorgvesa, you must finish the selection by pressing "done" (or whatever "say" the other button but "change"...).
T_Hobbit

Sylvander

#51 Post by Sylvander »

Here's the contents of my syslinux.cfg
What do you think this aught to be changed to?

default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd

steve_s

#52 Post by steve_s »

Sylvander: yeah, it's a hardware issue. That's the adventure of WakePup2 is it is a little different on different hardware. In other words, I am posting this from one of the computers at work, WakePup works great usb saves, etc.

At home, WakePup2 works different on different computers that I have, one I've gotta hit 5, the other just enter, one won't work with that usb at all on that pc, etc.

Sounds like T_Hobbit is giving you good instruction, though.

I am thinking of also making a boot cd exe....but one thing at a time... :wink:

T_Hobbit

#53 Post by T_Hobbit »

Try

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash acpi=off
or

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pci=noacpi
If the computer still "beep" along the way, try also the "quiet" option (add quiet to the end of that line)... Just to check! :)
T_Hobbit

Sylvander

#54 Post by Sylvander »

Tried replacing the existing line of code beginning append, first with the top line you supplied, then with the bottom, but neither made any difference. :(

My PC doesn't beep, so no need to add that in my own case.

T_Hobbit

#55 Post by T_Hobbit »

Sylvander wrote:Tried replacing the existing line of code beginning append, first with the top line you supplied, then with the bottom, but neither made any difference. :(

My PC doesn't beep, so no need to add that in my own case.
Not replace. Add to the line.
T_Hobbit

Sylvander

#56 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Not replace. Add to the line."
(a) What I did was to replace...

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd
with this...

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash acpi=off
Then instead with this...

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pci=noacpi
(b) Surely you don't mean the line of code should look like this...

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash acpi=off
Or this...

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pci=noacpi

T_Hobbit

#57 Post by T_Hobbit »

Yes, you're right. I shall not make a post when I'm sleepy!

I've been wondering... Wakepup make use of syslinux.cfg on the flash drive...?
I never use wakepup but... probably the boot option must be changed on the wakepup floppy instead...
T_Hobbit

Sylvander

#58 Post by Sylvander »

There isn't any syslinux.cfg file on the normal/functional WakePup2 floppy.

T_Hobbit

#59 Post by T_Hobbit »

You may try to open the small files of wakepup to see if any has a similar look...
T_Hobbit

Sylvander

#60 Post by Sylvander »

Avoided exe and com files.
Took a look inside bat and sys files.

Saw nothing interesting or that might apply to this problem. :(