How to install (non-Puppy) ISO on USB drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
52Degrees

How to install (non-Puppy) ISO on USB drive?

#1 Post by 52Degrees »

OK, here's the deal.

I'm running Puppy from a USB drive already, so I'm not a complete idiot, at least in that regard. I have an additional OS (Backtrack 3 final) I'm trying to install to a second USB drive. This is an ISO file, and needs to be extracted in order to make it bootable.

I have a cold this week, so thinking doesn't seem to be my strong suit. Would someone mind cluing me in, please?

TIA

Wheres One

#2 Post by Wheres One »

What OS are you trying to install onto the second drive? Does the OS you're trying to install natively support installing to a flash drive, as in Puppy? If not, you might want to try something called UNetbootin. I've seen it used a lot for flash based installs; however, I've never used it myself as I run Puppy as my primary OS and it makes flash installations very easy out of the box.

Wheres One

52Degrees

#3 Post by 52Degrees »

I'm trying to install Backtrack 3 final. I downloaded the disk ISO, but it doesn't work (wasted 2 cdrom's trying). Now I've downloaded the USB version but I haven't been able to figure out how to make proper use of it.

Wheres One

#4 Post by Wheres One »

You might want to run a checksum on your ISO, try different repositories, check their documentation, and otherwise figure out why the live CD didn't work before you move on to a more complicated method of installation.

Wheres One

52Degrees

#5 Post by 52Degrees »

Checksum was ok, download was from the source, if I go to the forum for their version, well... they think anyone who doesn't know how to make something so simple happen has nothing but criminal intentions, and they aren't shy about saying so, then banning you.

Wheres One

#6 Post by Wheres One »

After you burned the ISO, did you happen to verify it?

On another note, they banned you just for asking how to install? That's very harsh. Might want to stay away from projects and communities that are so touchy.

Wheres One

52Degrees

#7 Post by 52Degrees »

I verified both times I tried it.

They didn't ban me. There's an entire repository for posts they didn't like. Most were people who were clearly trying to steal WiFi, but some were just trying to learn something new, so I didn't bother.

Wheres One

#8 Post by Wheres One »

At this point, it sounds like there is a problem with their code or it just doesn't like your hardware. Only ideas I have are to try a different repository, a different PC, or try again on their forum. Does the live CD give any error messages or does it fail to be recognized completely? You might plug those into google and see what comes up.

Wheres One

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

52degrees, what program did you use to burn the disk iso to CD? Try Puppy's Burniso2cd, and a rewritable CD or DVD if you can.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

52Degrees

#10 Post by 52Degrees »

The livecd would load part of the way, then fail to load about 10 items and suggest a bad download.

I figured out how to do it (using Vista). I'm using it to reply now.

Thank you for your assistance. I appreciate the time you took.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

And thank you for not telling us how you got it to work. :)

52Degrees

#12 Post by 52Degrees »

Flash wrote:52degrees, what program did you use to burn the disk iso to CD? Try Puppy's Burniso2cd, and a rewritable CD or DVD if you can.
Yeah, the whole thing was a little weird. I used the Puppy program once and the slick ISO burning program I got for free for Vista when I started looking at Linux again (it had been a few years), twice. Nothing worked. Must have been a bad download, like it suggested. I really didn't think that was possible, what with packet verification being what it has become since everyone seems to have broadband now.

52Degrees

#13 Post by 52Degrees »

Flash wrote:And thank you for not telling us how you got it to work. :)
Yeah. I'm cool like that. [/joking]

Extracted ISO to file on desktop, drag and drop to USB drive, open "boot" file (the smaller of the two), doubleclick the obvious (so obvious I don't remember what it was named) file and follow the commands. It warns that it will format the (remainder of the) drive and also the impending doom of the missile strike headed for your (hopefully spoofed) IP address location, then press the "any" key a couple of times and reboot.

Pretty slick, but I didn't care for all the boot options it gave me.

I chose the one that looked like it had the smallest chance of trashing Vista on my laptop, since I do like to watch Netflix and don't want to irritate my wife any more than I do by merely breathing crosseyed...