'stop distributing Puppy Linux ISOs' - We Have A Solution :D

News, happenings
russoodle

'stop distributing Puppy Linux ISOs' - We Have A Solution :D

#1 Post by russoodle »

Eric did warn me six months ago that this might happen but i'd hoped it wouldn't ....although it's paid hosting, it's a shared server and apparently other clients are not getting their fair share, so 'unlimited' DOES indeed have limits :?

They informed me, very courteously, that it was ok for a while but usage has now escalated to a point where my site's using more bandwidth than the others there, which i see in a positive light for Puppy because the interest is reflected in the traffic :D And thank goodness i put user/passwords on those downloads, or the bots would probably have had me booted offline ages ago!!

As i have no programming skills or knowledge and this is the most practical, not to mention enjoyable way i know to support Puppy and his weird'n'wonderful, colourful community, i have no intention whatsoever of sitting back on my hind legs and twiddling my paws, so i'm working with my hosts to come up with a satisfactory dedicated hosting solution. Although it can't be on such a large scale as Caneri's, hopefully it'll at least allow me the freedom to host some Puppy torrents, which is something i've seen asked for in this forum but i wasn't permitted to do that on my current plan.

Anyway, whatever the outcome, i'll try to ensure that no-one's files, folders or links get hurt and that something will be sorted by rollover time at the end of this month, with as little inconvenience as possible.

LONG LIVE PUPPY, in all his many and varied incarnations....WOOF!!

EDIT: For interested users....I'm very happy to say that our situation has been resolved and migration from our current shared server to our own little doghouse should be effected sometime over a 24 hour time-frame from 8pm tomorrow night (South OZ time, Thursday 3rd) - the actual window required is only 4 hours but i'm allowing some flexibility here. There probably won't be much disruption but if you have problems with anything, please just give it a little time and i'm confident that all will be good :D

User-accounts and puplet-download usernames/passwords will remain the same, so there shouldn't be any issues there. Anyway, please just let me know if something's not right after the move's completed...

WOOF, WOOF!!
Last edited by russoodle on Wed 02 Dec 2009, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

raffy

good luck

#2 Post by raffy »

Good luck - may you be able to sort things out with your host, and thanks for the service to Puppy Linux users. :D
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

ttuuxxx

#3 Post by ttuuxxx »

My host did that on a unlimited account, I then informed them that they are running "Linux Servers" and that it would be two face of them to close the doors on what makes them money in first place. They then raised what limit they placed by 10X which is good, but no where near what I use in month, Thanks to Eric the problem is solved :) Eric does provide a top notch service. Heck of a guy, good old fellow Canadian :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Eric does provide a top notch service. Heck of a guy, good old fellow Canadian
Agreed.
Eric just gets on with it. Hosting Puppy files.
He once very kindly sent me a Puppy T shirt
(yep - hand printed)
He once described himself as 'Puppy through and through'

Good guy :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

droope

Re: My host says '..stop distributing Puppy Linux ISOs..' ;-

#5 Post by droope »

russoodle wrote:Eric did warn me six months ago that this might happen but i'd hoped it wouldn't ....although it's paid hosting, it's a shared server and apparently other clients are not getting their fair share, so 'unlimited' DOES indeed have limits :?

They informed me, very courteously, that it was ok for a while but usage has now escalated to a point where my site's using more bandwidth than the others there, which i see in a positive light for Puppy because the interest is reflected in the traffic :D And thank goodness i put user/passwords on those downloads, or the bots would probably have had me booted offline ages ago!!

As i have no programming skills or knowledge and this is the most practical, not to mention enjoyable way i know to support Puppy and his weird'n'wonderful, colourful community, i have no intention whatsoever of sitting back on my hind legs and twiddling my paws, so i'm working with my hosts to come up with a satisfactory dedicated hosting solution. Although it can't be on such a large scale as Caneri's, hopefully it'll at least allow me the freedom to host some Puppy torrents, which is something i've seen asked for in this forum but i wasn't permitted to do that on my current plan.

Anyway, whatever the outcome, i'll try to ensure that no-one's files, folders or links get hurt and that something will be sorted by rollover time at the end of this month, with as little inconvenience as possible.

LONG LIVE PUPPY, in all his many and varied incarnations....WOOF!!
Great news to hear you will continue hosting :D We don't still know how far will puppy take us :shock:

:lol:

Cheers!
Droope
What seems hard is actually easy, while what looks like impossible is in fact hard.

“Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer.â€￾ –Percy Cerutty

[url=http://droope.wordpress.com/]Mi blog[/url] (Spanish)

russoodle

Re: good luck

#6 Post by russoodle »

raffy wrote:Good luck - may you be able to sort things out with your host, and thanks for the service to Puppy Linux users. :D
Thanks, raffy....i hope so too..

@ ttuuxxx: :D ..you're not backward in coming forward, that's for sure...good for you, getting some result but i don't think it's gonna work for me...

@ ttuuxxx and the clawed one: yep, i might be a relative johnny-come-lately but i've been here long enough to see that Eric is indeed an integral part of this community, (as is John Murga also, in a different way), and without the services he provides, to developers and users alike, much of the whole shebang would be up the creek without the proverbial paddle!

And, from the dealings i've had with him, as you say - a really good guy...Puppy's lucky to have him on board.

Hi droope :) ..yes, waiting to hear something back from hosting provider so i know where i'm at..

As to how far Puppy will take us....who knows, hey....but surely this little pooch has a strong enough community and user-base to keep him healthy and growing (and i don't mean in iso size, heh..) for many years to come....he has so many skilled developers, with such diverse talents - how can he not? :D Barry has done the world of computing an amazing service, raising this pup!
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]