Pwireless2 (Version 1.0)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
jemimah

#41 Post by jemimah »

DapperMe17, I'd say it's worth a shot. If your hardware is detected, and supported by wpa_supplicant (which it is if it works on Ubuntu) this should work for you.

tempestuous

#42 Post by tempestuous »

DapperMe17 wrote:Does anyone know if it will work with the Broadcom BCM4306 chip? ...
(HP laptops)
Broadcom and HP; a Linux-unfriendly combination.
You probably need the proprietary Broadcom wifi driver -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 454#346454
DapperMe17 wrote:The PC uses WPA encryption.
The type of encryption is determined by the wifi router, not by the computers connected to it.

jemimah

#43 Post by jemimah »

I've posted an updated version that should make Pwireless2 more helpful and less buggy. Please test it and let me know how it goes.

technowomble

#44 Post by technowomble »

I did a new install of Puppy - in case I'd corrupted anything with my previous efforts - and with /etc/rc.d/rc.network disabled and profiles removed pwireless tries to connect. It gets as far as 4-way handshake, but then stops, I'm wondering if it's because I'm using WPA2 encryption, as to connect using Network manager I have to select the WPA2 button and change 'security' from ' open ' to ' restricted '. These settings show up in my network profile ( line 3: WPA_TYPE="2" and line 9: SECURE=" restricted " ) but there is no provision to set them in pwireless, although wpa_supplicant supports WPA2.

chrome307

#45 Post by chrome307 »

@ jemimah

I have tried out Pwireless Beta 2 with BrowserLinux v355 built on Puppy 413 with the following hardware:

3Com 3CRUSB10075 ( built in driver with Puppy )
Netgear WPN111 ( Atheros Comms ) with NDISWrapper

Both are unable to detect any wireless networks and I am told at the top of the screen that WLAN0 is down.

However if I use PWireless 0.8.4 it does detect the networks.

I do not have any 'saved' profiles so the option to load them in PW beta 2 is not available to me.

Am I simply overlooking something here?

jemimah

#46 Post by jemimah »

Guys, hold of on this version for a bit. I discovered that adding the log file broke the profile loading, so hang on until I figure out how to fix it.

Technowomble, it's supposed to automatically detect the wpa version. Wait until I fix the profile problem, and then you should send me screenshots. Make sure you are entering the password correctly. Pwireless2 will not tell you if it's failing because of a bad password.

Chrome307. Ndiswrapper doesn't work out of the box though hayagix posted above that he got it working. If you can make sense of the instructions, give it a try.

chrome307

#47 Post by chrome307 »

I did try hayagix suggestion with the NetGear adapter, but it failed to pick it up again, but it is recognised when using the Network Wizard. This might simply be a problem with my 'cut down' version of Puppy I'm using.

However I was surprised it did not work with my 3Com adapter as this usually works 'out the box' with linux builds.

I'll keep following the thread and grab the updates when available :)

hayagix

#48 Post by hayagix »

Chrome. To get ndiswrapper to work you need to have it load at boot time.
Open BootManager in start menu > system > click here to add a new module > add 'ndiswrapper' from left pane to right pane > done.

When setting up ndiswrapper with networkwizard you need to blacklist the corresponding linux driver if one exists. This is all done with network wizard.

Ndiswrapper sets up wireless at wlan0 which is normally default so its all good.

This works a treat. I've rebooted my live cd with save file and everything works perfectly.

jemimah

#49 Post by jemimah »

I've uploaded the fix for the profile loading problem. Apparently, if the log file gets longer than about 2500 lines, it breaks gtkdialog. This new version has extra logging turned on, so people having problems can post the log and status output so we can figure out what's going on. It also downs the wireless interface before loading wpa_supplicant in an attempt to reduce problems with network manager conflicts.

jemimah

#50 Post by jemimah »

I did find problem with wpa2 detection and have uploaded a fixed version. Technowomble, this may help you.

technowomble

#51 Post by technowomble »

jemimah wrote:I did find problem with wpa2 detection and have uploaded a fixed version. Technowomble, this may help you.
Pleased to report that it seems to have done the trick, Pwireless2 connected smoothly and quickly - slight delay while I worked out that the message in ' Status ' meant that connection was established! A couple of points, no icon in the toolbar or Gbar - Gbar icon is still the original pwireless.Presumably I need to install pbar icon.pet, will removing the original pwireless through Petbegone break anything? Also Pwireless2 does not illuminate the ' link ' LED on my wireless card, hence the momentary confusion I mentioned above. Otherwise it seems to be ' all systems go ', this looks to be a ' must have ' for anyone creating a laptop-friendly puplet. :)

Edit: Just turned the laptop back on and it automatically connected without me having to do a thing, nice. Presumably if I were out of range of my home network would it launch the gui with a list of available networks?

jemimah

#52 Post by jemimah »

You should be getting blue status messages at the top of the screen as it connects, does this not work?

The trayicon needs libgio unless you are running 4.3.1. I posted a link to it somewhere above or you can search for it. You shouldn't need to remove the original Pwireless. Once you get the tray icon working, you can launch Pwireless2 from there. I don't know anything about Gbar, so you're on on your own with that.

If you're out of range, the GUI doesn't automatically launch, but you can launch it, and add more profiles. It will autoconnect to any network it knows about. There's a way to make it auto connect to any open network, but I did not included that since some open networks are hostile.

technowomble

#53 Post by technowomble »

Yes, I've got the ptray icon sorted ( Edit tray>swap Pwireless2 for Pwireless ) and I'm getting the blue status flashes as it connects. Maybe when I set up the profile for my network I was concentrating on the gui and didn't notice them!
I agree with you about not auto-connecting to any open network, the danger with open networks is that they're open! A friend told me that his ( Windows ) work laptop offered to connect to an open network it detected when he was working at home, fortunately he was aware of the risks.
Just to confirm that I understand, if I want to connect to a new wireless network I open Pwireless2, find the network on the Networks list and create a profile, then any time I'm within range of that network it will auto-connect?

jemimah

#54 Post by jemimah »

Yes, pwireless2 will auto-connect to any network it has a profile for.

Pete22

Pwireless2 Beta Feedback

#55 Post by Pete22 »

I have a Acer Aspire 3680. I can get on the internet with official puppy 4.31, but can not get using this beta version.

I am not geeky but I will tell you what I know. The program sees that I have a wireless card in my laptop. However, It will not load the b43 wireless driver, which is the correct driver and that works with puppy 4.31. The program does not even try to scan for any internet connections.

I am hoping that this program will work because there are several pups that I want to use but I can't use my wireless internet with them.

Pete22

jemimah

#56 Post by jemimah »

I have uploaded a new version of Pwireless2 with several GUI usability enhancements and also some additions to the backend scripts to make this work on more network cards.

Pete22, please try the new version, it's a bit more user friendly. Also please read the new Help tab I have added to the GUI. Keep in mind that this isn't the Network Wizard. It doesn't load any modules, and it works in a conceptually different way than the Network Wizard does.

If you continue to experience problems, I'd need detailed information and maybe screenshots to help you figure out what's happening.

chrome307

#57 Post by chrome307 »

@ jemimah

Thanks again for the explanation, I will try again and let you know how I get on :)

Code: Select all

Open BootManager in start menu > system > click here to add a new module > add 'ndiswrapper' from left pane to right pane > done.

When setting up ndiswrapper with networkwizard you need to blacklist the corresponding linux driver if one exists. This is all done with network wizard.

Ndiswrapper sets up wireless at wlan0 which is normally default so its all good. 

I followed the above instructions and loaded NDISWrapper as a startup module. I had the required files for my NetGear adapter kept in a folder on my drive. As there are no other drivers listed (wifi that is - NIC is listed though), it still does not work for me by displaying my device.

Maybe I'm not reading your steps correctly to carry out the task.

scurrier

#58 Post by scurrier »

Hello
I have posted a problem at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 770#366770
and it was suggested that I try pwireless2.
However, the installation fails.
You say that Network Manager profiles should be removed - I assume you mean Network Wizard - I've done that.
One respondent mentions disabling Network Wizard. Is that necessary? If so, how is it done?
I sometimes think I'm not talking the same language as some of you guys!

jemimah

#59 Post by jemimah »

What do you mean by "installation fails"?

Do you get an error message that says your interface is not detected?

scurrier

#60 Post by scurrier »

Hi jemimah,

Puppy Package Manager just shows window with:
"Error, package pwireless-2.pet failed to install."
That's it.