How to put mouse right click function on the keyboard?

Booting, installing, newbie
swiatmar

How to put mouse right click function on the keyboard?

#1 Post by swiatmar »

Hello,
Is it possible to put some extra key on the keyboard with the same function like the mouse right click? I know it is possible to put a new command to:
/root/.jwmrc and /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal
but I can't find out what is the name of the mouse right click.
And I don't mean the same function that F12 has. Because it opens only the menu. But doesn't work for the context menu in ROX

`f00

#2 Post by `f00 »

hi, yep rightclick is 'button2' but not much idea of a direct keyboard bind - likely someone knows for sure. A rightclick may do a variety of actions depending on what's in focus (and which wm, app or..)

On most US keybards, 'contextmenu' key is the one directly to the left of the right Ctrl key at bottom (and works fine for win32 and some apps in puppy (I guess more than anything else sometimes, happy accidents as the late Bob Ross would say). Hwr binds are occasionally strange unless you use them all the time and by habit know what works - sometimes Ctrl+Q, others Alt+F4 sometimes Alt+F1 doesn't open a root menu in some wms and documentation is a perhaps when/if you need it (yesterday I could not find the key-combo for opening a rootmenu in openbox when mouse rightclick failed arrrrgh). A general look in wikipedia, keyboard shortcuts

Probably tab/dirkey to focus and try that contextmenu key? hth

swiatmar

#3 Post by swiatmar »

thanks!!
well it was really easy. I was trying little bit and I found out that the context menu is under control/backslash.
good it is working. But if I try to create a new shortcut in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal nothing is happening

The point is- someone ask me about puppy and touchscreen computer(webdt). so he has no mouse and would like to have the option of right click. now he has some extra buttons on the screen frame and would like to connect it to the context menu :)

`f00

#4 Post by `f00 »

There must be a cli or table of info to interpret your input as the code the machine 'hears' (I know games use a simplified gui for something similar on controller pads and such to translate to keystrokes or vice-versa, but that's more windows/dx-related). ASCII tables? It'll probably take a little reference digging..

trapster

#5 Post by trapster »

F12 key will open the menu in jwm.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

swiatmar

#6 Post by swiatmar »

F12 opens only the main menu
I found out that the context menu can be open with backslash.
but now is the question-how do I connect this shortcut with other button
The point is- someone ask me about puppy and touchscreen computer(webdt). so he has no mouse and would like to have the option of right click. now he has some extra buttons on the screen frame and would like to connect it to the context menu
Last edited by swiatmar on Wed 18 Nov 2009, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

lapis

#7 Post by lapis »

swiatmar wrote:I found out that the context menu can be open with control/backslash.
Are you talking about the context menu within Rox?

That can be changed to open with just the backslash. From the Rox context menu go to Options>Menus and you can change that with the "File Menu on Right Click" option. You can also change/set other Rox keyboard shortcuts there.

For the Window menu that has Maximise/Minimise/Resize/Move/Close you can set any key to do that from /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal (and /root/.xmodmap if you want to swap keys or create new keys)

For normal applications like Seamonkey/Firefox/Leafpad and so on, the context menu (equivalent to Windows) is brought up with Shift+F10.

There is also Mousekeys where you can use the numeric keypad to navigate the mouse pointer and send clicks. You use Accessx for this.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=336145

abushcrafter

#8 Post by abushcrafter »

To enable the "windows key" (Also know as the Hyper or the Super or the Meta key in Linux.) and the "Menu" key. By Setting, in the "xorgwizard" script, the default keyboard model to "pc104" or "Setup>Mouse/keyboard Wizard>Advanced Xorg keyboard configuration...>OK>Keyborad Model". Then restart X. The win key is know as the "Hyper" key in Puppy Linux.
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/