Remastered puppy iso with kde: how to do pup file?

Using applications, configuring, problems
klhrevolutionist

Remastered puppy iso with kde: how to do pup file?

#1 Post by klhrevolutionist »

As most know I am working on a kde puppy iso.
The problem I have facing is remastering the cd. There is no way
most pups will be able to load everything into ram.
So how do I go about this issue ?
Maybe automatically creating a pupfile on a hard drive and load everything into it ? That might be the way it works anyway ? I don't
know I have never messed with pupfiles ?
Any help or suggestions welcomed.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I think I saw a post a while back about how to "install" applications outside the pup001 file. I believe the idea was they wouldn't load into RAM unless they were started. I don't remember any more about it.

saintlangton

#3 Post by saintlangton »

As I understand it just creating a huge usr_cram.fs should work, possibly not optimally though.

If there's enough RAM (probably 512Mb+) then it all goes in RAM. If not puppy will look for it on HD and mount from there and failing that will mount from CD.

Perhaps you could modify the bootscripts to copy usr_cram.fs onto disk if non-NTFS and not there already. Will make for a slooow first boot but puppy-speed thereafter.

Alternatively you could have kde as a seperate .sfs which may be more flexible but I don't know much about that.

Chris

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

After reading your post again, it seems to me you may have answered your own question. Don't remastered Puppies create pup files on a hd the same as the original puppy from which they are derived?

MU

#5 Post by MU »

one way to create a usr_more.sfs:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=22962#22962

If you search for usr_more.sfs you will find messages, for example how to mount several of them at the same time, as grafpup does. E.g.this one: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... usrkde+sfs
Mark

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

If it is in image.gz (bad idea) then it will try to load into ram no matter what. If it is in usr_cram.fs, it will only load into ram if there is enough room. If not, it will use it from either the HD or the cd, as saintlangton said.

To install it into the pupfile, you could have it stored in the actual cd rather than a compressed filesystem. (Like the "extra" directory in the Pizzapup 1.0.5 iso) Then, after booting, you could install it from there and it would go into the pupfile. I don't know which script to mess with to have it do it automatically though. You'd definately want to do some kind of checks to make sure there even is a pupfile (and it is big enough) before it installs, though. Otherwise it could try to install itself on a system running entirely within ram and fill the ramdisk.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

bombayrockers

#7 Post by bombayrockers »

I once had usr_more (kde) extracted into a pupfile to simulate a HD install. It is very slow. For a frugal install use Usr_more.sfs instead.