A few questions about installing, running Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
webworm98

A few questions about installing, running Puppy

#1 Post by webworm98 »

Since there is no root password, how do you prevent stuff from being installed? I would like to know when stuff wants to install. I may do a full hard drive install someday.

What is the best way to setup the partitions?

My current setup is
98 se partiton one
xp se partition two (Free DOS and Puppy Linux are currently there)
Partition three (No operating system but used for sharing files and partition backup using Norton's ghost 2000 or 2003)

There is no other partitions.

As I said, I use ghost for partition backup.

Where do I download file, to create puppy boot file?

Thank you for your help in advance.

steve_s

Re: Puppy Questions

#2 Post by steve_s »

webworm98 wrote:Since, there is no root password. How do you prevent stuff from being installed? I would like to know when stuff wants to install. I may do a full hard drive install someday.

What is the best way to setup the partitions?

My current setup is
98 se partiton one
xp se partition two (Free DOS and Puppy Linux are currently there)
Partition three (No operating system but used for sharing files and partition backup using Norton's ghost 2000 or 2003)

There is no other partitions.

As I said, I use ghost for partition backup.

Where do I download file, to create puppy boot file?

Thank you for your help in advance.
There are methods to set up a root password; search around the forum should produce some good results.

Puppy linux native installation files are "pet" files, unlike Windows "exe" files. You would have to get a pet file and install it; you have complete control over that. An accidental install of something is very unlikely.

What type of install are you planning to do? There are lists of ways to install things; an overall internet search should get you a how to install puppy page in a couple of minutes (good place to start). But, in general, you will probably need a linux partition (ext2 or ext3 is pretty typical) and a swap partition (linux likes to use a "swap" partition to, for lack of a more thorough explanation, "move stuff around").

Please post back if this helps and/or if we can provide more info. Welcome to Puppy! 8)

webworm98

#3 Post by webworm98 »

Thank you for your advice.

The problem is, that last time I tried it. Windows didn't recognize any of the extended partitions after Linux is put on.

Nortons Ghost and System commander can only handle a maxium of 3 partitions. Some how they temporally use the 4 partition without affecting the OS. I think this ghost version requires ext2 not ext3. I can force that with system commander.

Here are a couple of ways. I try to explain it the best way I can.

1st method
98se on Partition one with xp boot files on extended partitions. (I am not sure how to use ghost to backup an extended/logical partition.)

Shared logical Partition
Puppy linux on logical partition with a logical partition

2nd method
98se on partition one
xpse on partition two
Shared logical partition
Puppy Linux on logical partitions with a logical partition

As far as ghost Here are the files I used. Using a ghost boot floppy, I made.

This for backup.

-clone,mode=pdump,src=1:2,dst=E:\Backup\xpsp3\xpsp3.gho
-FDSP
-NTIL
-SPAN
-CRCIGNORE
-FRO
-Batch
-Z9
-split=600

This is for restoring

-clone,mode=pload,src=E:\Backup\Xpsp3\xpsp3.gho:1,dst=1:2
-FDSP
-NTIL
-SPAN
-CRCIGNORE
-FRO
-Batch
-FX

I use text files. So everything is automated.

Ghost @xpsp3.txt or Ghost @backup.txt depending on which I am doing.

It took trail and error before I could get the correct combinations. The split is to reduce the size to fit on a CD. Now, I am using a flash drive. (No, I don't backup directly to the flash drive).

To backup, you need to run scandisk from dos, because this ghost is picky about disk errors (Not surface errors).

steve_s

#4 Post by steve_s »

Wow, Windows sure does complicate things. :D

Ok, I don't know how you want to do your partitioning and etc, but I can give you some more information that may perchance allow you to decide what you want to do.

First of all, what is your overall goal? Do you want to just add Puppy to all this? I'm going to assume that is the case (that may be a mistake on my part). If that is the case, here are some things to consider:

Puppy is the most versatile, portable OS (operating system) I have ever seen. If you just want to add it to your current set up, I recommend adding a swap partition, but other than that you don't have to add any other partitions at all.

All Puppy needs to run (using a frugal install, which is what I recommend) is a boot manager (something to start the boot process) that points to a folder that has all the Puppy livecd files/programs in it (the entire OS is around 100MB). This can run on a fat drive, an ntfs drive, a linux drive, whatever. Puppy would then boot up, look for a save file (more on that in a minute) then load Puppy into ram. The whole OS runs from ram, using the save file, and acts like any other OS (only faster and more logical).

So, various times in the past, I've taken a WinXP install and added Puppy to it. There are many threads out there on how to do this, but here is the simple basics I've used: boot Puppy from a livecd. It looks at your XP drive and anything else you want it to look at. Then I just added a folder to the XP install, just like any other folder on the XP drive. You can add a swap file if you decide to (I recomend it if you have the space, but you don't have to). In that folder I copied over all the (I think like 4 or 5) programs/files on the livecd.

Then I used a different boot manager than what comes with XP, in this case the Grub boot manager. On grub I then had the option to either boot to the Puppy folder or to boot XP.

When I pick Puppy to boot it boots, runs, then the first time asks if you want to make a save file to keep all these settings? Yes, you do, so it makes a save file.

That's it; Puppy is installed.

If you want to boot XP, then you boot like normal. If you want to boot Puppy, then you boot Puppy, it reads the save file, and runs, for all appearances, like any other OS.

Save file: this is keeps all your settings and any changes you make and adds them to the other files at boot up when Puppy is running in ram. In order to back-up Puppy you just copy the save file whenever you want.

Partitioning: Puppy comes with gparted partition manager. There is nothing else like it. If you want something partitioned any way you want, boot the livecd of Puppy, run gparted and change and move as needed. **warning: as with any partitioning software you can change the drive completely and delete all your files, so only do that if you want to.

I've used many other Linux's and none of them have the versatility that Puppy does. I run the laptop I'm using now as a single boot but I still use the method that I just explained to you. It is small, fast, can do anything I want. And this forum is more helpful than any I've seen.

Hope that gets you thinking about things.

Yes, you can install Puppy with a full install, just as you would any other Linux/Windows. I almost never do it that way 'cause it is way to easy to back-up things this way, this is horribly fast, very versatile and I can move it to other computers if I want.

That may or may not help but hopefully it will give us a little more direction and perhaps others can chime in as well.

steve_s

#5 Post by steve_s »

As far as seeing the Linux drive from Windows: This is if we are talking a full install rather than a frugal install. If you are talking a frugal install then there really is nothing to see as it will just be programs and a save file. But a full install can be seen like other OS's. But, as a general rule of thumb, Linux sees everything while Windows doesn't. To see ext2 partitions in Windows XP I've used this with success, but you may not even need this depending upon what all you are after.

alienjeff

#6 Post by alienjeff »

Easy solution - minimal cost.

Install a second drive for Linux. Boot Linux from a Grub boot floppy.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

prehistoric

boot, root and partitions

#7 Post by prehistoric »

Hi webworm98, (and a tip of the hat to AJ)

If you have a modest amount of space on those partitions accessed by Windows 98, that is a good place for a "frugal" install of Puppy. We don't recommend installing to NTFS partitions, typically used by more recent Windows. Most people find a "full" install more trouble than it is worth, but we don't rule it out if you have a partition to dedicate to Puppy. This should be formatted as ext2 or ext3.

AJ is right about adding a drive. That is easy for people comfortable with opening the box. (Everyone I know seems to have an old disk drive or three too small for their current Windoze system. This works fine for Puppy.) Besides booting using GRUB on a floppy, you can boot from a CD, if the BIOS is set to boot from CD before hard disk.

I typically use this to access a Puppy system I've squirreled away as a recovery tool on systems primarily used by Windows. The CD is the live CD I installed from. When it reboots, it takes a minimum of data from the CD before it finds the Puppy files on the hard disk. For unskilled operators, this is nicely concrete, boot Windows without CD, boot Puppy with CD.

Gparted has a user interface similar to the commercial "Partition Magic", if you remember that. It can create a fourth "linux swap" partition on that drive as a primary partition. There is no need to fool with extended partitions and logical partitions. You don't need to back up swap partitions, so it is alright if Norton Ghost ignores it.

The question of a root password and security is good for long arguments producing more heat than light. As I recall current Puppies use "woofwoof" by default, and this can be changed through the "passwd" command. This doesn't really address your concern. If you want to pursue this, see the thread on Pizzasgood's multiuser 4.2.1

Regards,

prehistoric