Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#181 Post by jemimah »

I've finished the initial work on Pwireless2. I will probably release it with a new beta tomorrow for you guys to test. It has better notifications than wpa_gui, it's less confusing, and no Qt dependencies, so that should get the sfs down to 80MB, probably below 80 if I remove the unnecessary xorg drivers.

jakfish

#182 Post by jakfish »

Hi, jemimah,

I've tried touchpad calibrating, etc. in the settings and I can't get anything more than primitive pointing--any kind of exact placement is very difficult, luck more than anything.

Followup--I kept your current 4.31 SFS, but replaced the kernel, etc. with the non-elantech kernel, but I can still bring up flysync with ostensible recalibating (which would be impossible, right?). So perhaps it isn't loading, despite the logs. I dunno.

Jake
Last edited by jakfish on Tue 10 Nov 2009, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

prehistoric

Linux in BIOS

#183 Post by prehistoric »

Some readers must be wondering what luther349 and Jemimah are talking about.

For those who aren't already familiar with this issue, there is a BIOS specifically designed to go directly into a small Linux system. This was formerly known as LinuxBIOS, but after changing the boot "payload" so other systems are possible the project changed its name to "coreboot".

I've seen this on some larger ASUS motherboards, even including a browser you can use seconds after power up. The open-source nature of the license, and ASUS desire to keep secrets about proprietary hardware in netbooks, is probably why we have not seen this on the eeePC. Expect them to offer the fast boot features when they get a proprietary replacement.

Why hasn't this happened already? Restructuring one of the current crop of bloated kernels so it consists of a tiny, stable kernel suitable for ROM, plus modules loaded later on demand, is not a trivial job. Avoiding GPL provisions of full source disclosure complicates matters.

jemimah

#184 Post by jemimah »

Jakfish, you should get an error about shm or something if it isn't loading. I have no idea what's going on. This probably means I need to purchase yet another EEEpc to figure it out; good thing they don't cost much. :)

jemimah

#185 Post by jemimah »

The desire of corporations to keep things proprietary is one of my biggest pet peeves, up there with patent-abuse. We'd probably have faster-than-light spaceships by now if it weren't for this crap!

luther349

#186 Post by luther349 »

ubuntu uses a new upstart system. it loads x right at boot so it is 5 seconds to a full gui. thats the record on a i7 with a ssd drive. 10 to 15 seconds is the average. they don't even use usplash anymore they use xsplash being x is running right when the kernel loads they can use x to give you the ubuntu splash screens and 3d and sound is available to use so you can make some fancy boot screens. then it reloads it from memory so you can login. the new systems reduce boot time in ubuntu by a huge margen compared to old versions that used hal.

jemimah

#187 Post by jemimah »

Humm, maybe it's worth upgrading my ubuntu system after all... of course it was never the system boot time that bothered me, it's all the doodads and daemons gnome tries to start that take forever.

jemimah

#188 Post by jemimah »

Well I upgraded my ubuntu partition including the kernel, but no change in boot time. I guess I'll download the image and do a clean install at some point, but so far, I'm not impressed.

jemimah

#189 Post by jemimah »

I've uploaded beta 1.7. Only the the main sfs file has changed.

New in this version:
Pwireless2 replaces wpa_gui
Fixes to the networking scripts
ath5k now the default; if you want madwifi you'll want blacklist it and add ath-pci to the white list. Hopefully the networking scripts can better handle changes in the interface names now.
wpa_supplicant no longer auto connects to open networks; to add a network, right click on the pwireless2 tray applet and choose configure.

Let me know what you think of pwireless2. It probably has a few bugs since I've only tested it on a few networks. Wpa-enterprise is not yet supported.

mawebb88

Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix

#190 Post by mawebb88 »

jemimah wrote:Well I upgraded my ubuntu partition including the kernel, but no change in boot time. I guess I'll download the image and do a clean install at some point, but so far, I'm not impressed.
I too like luther349 am very impressed with Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix on my EeePC901. Fastest boot times of any OS I have tried and even faster shutdowns. The Package management works great. Firefox runs fast. I could go on. The only thing I really did not like was the in-built email client but no problem removed it and installed Thunderbird.

Rgds Mike

Nb still have Puppy(s) but on the same machine but now booting from GRUB2

jakfish

#191 Post by jakfish »

jemimah--

Can I assume that Beta7 has the elantech kernel?

Jake

zicozico

Wifi working again with beta7!!

#192 Post by zicozico »

Hi,

Just a short positive feedback.
WIFI is working again with Beta7. (asus eee 701; 4G)
I had to remove my savefile in order for the pwireless2 tray applet to appear. Then after clean (pfix=ram) reboot I configured my network, created a new savefile and since then it connects automatically upon each fresh reboot.

Nice job, favourite puppy so far!!!

Zicozico

jemimah

#193 Post by jemimah »

Jakfish. I will build a kernel without Elantech today. There might be a way to disable it from the syslinux.cfg. I'll look into that too.

jemimah

#194 Post by jemimah »

Grub2 must be the secret to ubuntu 9.10 fast boot. That's the only thing I didn't upgrade. I feel like I just learned all the ins and outs of grub 1; back to the man pages I guess! Maybe I can figure out what tricks they are using and make Puppeee boot in 2 seconds. :)

jakfish

#195 Post by jakfish »

Many thanks. Looking forward to trying it.

Jake

jemimah

#196 Post by jemimah »

The "no-elantech" kernel is now posted here:
http://drop.io/puppeee_extras

jur

#197 Post by jur »

You mention ath5k is now default - but my eeepc 1000he needs ath9k. (I didn't read through all the thread, apologies if this has been hashed through before.)

prehistoric

beta 7

#198 Post by prehistoric »

@Jemimah,

Best Puppeee so far!

I recommend anyone start this with a clean slate. There's no telling what your old pupsave will do.

I got wireless working with a minimum of trouble. My main confusion was caused by a "default" network. To support your assertion that I live in Defcon, I can now add a new open network with SSID "default".

The tray icon probably should not look so similar to blinky. I was surprised when blinky appeared, as I thought your applet had taken on that role. A wireless symbol like the one next to "configure" on the pop-up menu, which might (later) show more status information by changing appearance, would be good.

No kernel panics or shutdown save failures, but I've done few reboots so far.

aside to jur: ath5k is the default for eeePCs using that wireless chipset, whereas the alternate "mad-wifi" version was set as preferred in the last beta. Your system should load the ath9k module automatically. Let us know.

Ray MK

#199 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all

Have to agree - best puppee so far - really nice.

Will try wifi in a little while and let you know how I get on.

Am using EeePc 701SD with the celeron 900mhz proc. 512mb ram and 8gig SSD.

booting via grub and running a frugal install on sda2.
also booting 4gig SDcard via syslinux.

To a n00bie - all seems fine.

Fantastic stuff - many thanks for all the effort you've put in to make this for us.

Very best regards - Ray

jemimah

#200 Post by jemimah »

Yeah that's why I took blinky out the first time. Haha. :lol: This applet doesn't blink though. I personally don't like blinking crap on my desktop because it disrupts my ability to focus. What do other people think? Blinky or no blinky? It can be nice to see if there's network traffic or not, but there are better tools for that.