Openoffice 3.2 latest snapshot

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tronkel

Openoffice 3.2 latest snapshot

#1 Post by tronkel »

I've just been playing around with the latest developers snapshot of Openoffice.org 3.2 Beta that is due to appear in November as final.

The main visible difference here is the speed of start-up. It's so fast on my system that you can't get to read the splash screen :shock:

Cosmetic differences are few, but there is now an option to display menu icons. Plenty of other small but important improvements as well.

This would make a nice sfs package say for 4.4CE

Details and download here:
http://download.openoffice.org/next/index.html

I installed the debs archive using my Ubuntu Karmic installation.
To access it from Puppy I mounted the partition in which it got installed and then went to the /opt directory where the main DEV300 folder resides. This ran fine in Puppy and a good deal faster than on Ubuntu.

I suspect you could also simply unpack the DEBS archive into your puppy /mnt/home partition and individually install all the debs into Puppy using the package manager. If you do it this way though, you need to ensure that all the necessary debs get installed and that you have enough space in your pup_save. An sfs would certainly be the best solution here though. If I get the time, I'll try to get an sfs built.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

DaveS

#2 Post by DaveS »

tronkel, how quickly does it load after a re-boot so there are no hooks in ram?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tronkel

#3 Post by tronkel »

@DaveS

Yes, it is a tad slower after a reboot, but nevertheless still very fast.

Also, on the subject of stuff for 4.4CE, the latest Seamonkey 2 Beta is looking very good as well. It now does RSS feeds within the mail client. The whole package really fits together very well.

The question of extensions ought to resolve itself the nearer it gets to final release. At the moment, there are very few extensions/themes available for this version - with the exception of SQL-Lite which works very well as a Seamonkey extension. SQL-Lite seems not to be working as a stand-alone app as provided in the current Puppy 4.3.1 version.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

tronkel wrote:@DaveS

Yes, it is a tad slower after a reboot, but nevertheless still very fast.

Also, on the subject of stuff for 4.4CE, the latest Seamonkey 2 Beta is looking very good as well. It now does RSS feeds within the mail client. The whole package really fits together very well.

The question of extensions ought to resolve itself the nearer it gets to final release. At the moment, there are very few extensions/themes available for this version - with the exception of SQL-Lite which works very well as a Seamonkey extension. SQL-Lite seems not to be working as a stand-alone app as provided in the current Puppy 4.3.1 version.
Have been using Seamonkey 2 for the last week or so. No crashes. Using the RSS feed feature a lot. I also like the way clicking an email link brings the browser up and forward. In 1.1.* series the browser opens behind the email program, requiring manual change of focus. Also, loading the browser automatically checks the email client for new messages even if the mail client is not loaded.
Couple of bugs.. new mail sound not working, download manager can only simultaneously download multiple links from the SAME site, so say podcast episodes from several sources cannot be queued (1.1.1* is the same)
Page rendering is exceptional.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Hello.

I hope this is a relevant thread.

I installed coolpup's Oo 3.2 dev version sfs. See http://puppylinux.org/news/ (which is down at the moment).

Just a word to say that if you need alternate languages, you will save time if you download the extension for your language, from here: http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/dictionary

The former solution with the "DicOOo" macro does not work with Oo version 3.x

All the best.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)