Xorg no good for Neomagic 128V [NM2090] graphics

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Delboy

Xorg no good for Neomagic 128V [NM2090] graphics

#1 Post by Delboy »

This is not news just a gentle reminder, perhaps, of a persistent old problem with Neomagic graphics chips which, in my experience, is still not remedied by the move to Xorg.. My old laptop chip Neomagic 128V [NM2090] which works fine with a framebuffer server in Damnsmall linux never worked with Xvesa at all. Xorg officially provides full support for the above chip and appears to include a framebuffer video option too in the 'Xconfig' routine. With Puppy 1.07 on this machine, framebuffer option just doesn't load at all - X won't start and with the "Neomagic [Generic]" driver option selected either manually or by autoprobing, the Gui opens up but leaves a little to be desired:
The GUI display, whilst sized/positioned correctly for the LCD panel and without any other obvious errors is still not that great - Menus, toolbars, desktop icons and text all a little oversized and with lack of definition to fonts, lines, edges and colour junctions. Not as good as framebuffer I am afraid. Having spent a week googling, reading and tweaking Xorg I am having to call it day. Hope this gets sorted out some day as Puppy is the ideal distro for my needs on this machine (Digital Hinote).

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Did you install the framebuffer-Kernel modules with pupget?
They are required to run xvesa or xorg in framebuffer-mode.

Also see here:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4082
Mark