Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 00:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
What shall I work on first for the next CE release?
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 8 of 11 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next

What shall I work on first?
GTKdialog gui for remasterpup2 (vs xdialog)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
GTKdialog gui for universal installer
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
Compiling new packages
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Updating older packages (newer, smaller +nls support)
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Add xz support to petget (like new slax and arch packages)
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Automatic kb, mouse, timezone & video + GUI config tool (vs. ncurses)
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Something else - Just ask
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Total_votes : 50

technosaurus

PostPosted: Mon 02 Nov 2009, 17:17    Post_subject:  

Ok, now that I have a working Pcompile to test (the graphical frontend for compiling packages), it is time to move on for a bit.

I planned to test pizzasgood's multiuser pup and try to figure out the best way to incorporate Barry's woof improvements to it or vice versa, but it sounds like Barry may be adding this to his woof build system on his own.

... so on to the remaster frontend. After looking at it, it appears to be as easy as replacing all of the Xdialogs with 'if' statements that check for variables from the gtkdialog gui (since most are yes/no, so probably just a lot of checkboxes) It will be relatively easy to add a folder selector for the "original files" - they don't technically have to be the originals (you can do whatever modifications you want) Adding the full installer to this may prove to be a bit trickier than I thought, ... we'll see. There are so many niche cases in the existing installer that I haven't used that I am hesitant to hack on it too much without a good way to test it.

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Mon 02 Nov 2009, 17:26    Post_subject:  

Small fix: the xorgwizard issue where it fails to work quite right for people whom Xorg decides have the ability to use multiple screens (not necessarily the same as people who actually have multiple screens - simply having a graphics card and an unused onboard video chip may be enough to trigger this (it did when I used my old computer anyway)).
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=357477#357477

I provided both a patch and the actual patched script from 4.3.1 in the above post, so it can just be dropped in unless you've made other changes to xorgwizard already.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov 2009, 01:39    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Update on Progress:

I hope members of our team will make efforts to update the wiki
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy44Team

I hope technosaurus will forgive me for describing him
as a 'cyborg dinosaur' in a recent thread Embarassed
and will make efforts to call on members of the above team
for anything he might need Smile

Technosaurus you seem to be doing all the right things.

Guy (gposil) has drec in Dpup and other innovations (such as the
control panel) that might be of interest'
Grant Wilson recently sent me xvidcap-1.1.6-i486.pet
one of these screen recording facilities (like drec) might enable to upload tests or problems to youtube during the early stages? Just a thought.

Are we near a pre-alpha release for tests and reports and try outs?
Do you want a project name or happy with 4.4?

Thanks guys - seems to be going well Smile

raffy

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov 2009, 03:04    Post_subject: woofy  

I've suggested Woofy as project name, as am having problems finding a "4.4" in the forum. Hope the name can be used, as this will be (?) the first community release based on Woof.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov 2009, 12:17    Post_subject:  

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy44Team

We are woofy

Woof woof

esmourguit

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov 2009, 13:35    Post_subject:  

Bonjour à tous,

Localization : The script xorgwizard, with the fix of Pizzasgood, localized (en, fr) with gettext (thanks to ljfr) is available here
If someone wants to test.

@Gposil,
Is it possible to localize PCP?

Cordialement Wink

technosaurus

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov 2009, 14:22    Post_subject:  

Raffy - Woofy sounds fine - i will leave those details up to the community for now. I am more concerned with the functionality than the look, feel and marketing aspects at the moment. That stuff should begin appearing in the beta releases. For the alpha releases I am trying to stay focused on usability issues including updates, upgrades and bugfixes.

esmourguit - being a native english speaker I have not done a lot with localization other than making the NLS pets available for those who need them. I assume for gtkdialog programs like PCP there needs to be a master program that checks $LANG and starts one of however many separate programs based on language? For example PCP would now be a script that checks $LANG and starts pcp_$LANG ... There is currently a "Control Panel" thread in the Pet's 'n Stuff area working on a generalized control panel to work across versions - I recommend contributing to that.

New Idea While helping with the Control Panel project, I had a novel idea. Why not use the .desktop files to automatically create a gtkdialog panel with all of the categories in separate notebook tabs containing icons for each program and descriptions in mouseover "tooltips". This would be a great advance for tablet and netbook users and much of the underlying code already exists as part of fixmenus and dir2pet.... Unfortunately I have learned that coordinating leaves me very little time for actual development, so I am putting this out there for anyone that finds it of interest and wants a project.

Anyone following/testing ttuuxxx's 2.X releases - please post any improvements that should be incorporated (same goes for the 4.2 series). Ttuuxxx seems to be doing great work on the series especially to support legacy systems. As such the 4.X series should especially try to focus on supporting newer hardware that 2.X does not, so if anyone has new hardware that is not supported yet, please make sure it gets on the google code issue tracker:
http://code.google.com/p/puppy-development/issues/list
[/u]

raffy

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov 2009, 23:07    Post_subject: MU  

technosaurus wrote:
New Idea While helping with the Control Panel project, I had a novel idea. Why not use the .desktop files to automatically create a gtkdialog panel with all of the categories in separate notebook tabs containing icons for each program and descriptions in mouseover "tooltips".

I remember seeing MU's work on Muppy having something like this. Just an info lead for those interested...

aragon

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 05:52    Post_subject:  

raffy wrote:
technosaurus wrote:
New Idea While helping with the Control Panel project, I had a novel idea. Why not use the .desktop files to automatically create a gtkdialog panel with all of the categories in separate notebook tabs containing icons for each program and descriptions in mouseover "tooltips".

I remember seeing MU's work on Muppy having something like this. Just an info lead for those interested...

there is a tool called tabble (http://www.rillion.net/tabble/index.html) that 'looks' like what you're suggesting. but the usual setup for tabble is by hand and stored in a config-file. but maybe it is possible to create the entries of the tabble-config with a script that parses the desktop-files.

find attached a pet for tabble to 'play' with.

aragon
tabble-0.4.0.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  tabble-0.4.0.pet 
Filesize  28.44 KB 
Downloaded  306 Time(s) 

aragon

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 05:54    Post_subject:  

@technosaurus

Patriot's System Services Manager might be an interesting addition for woofy:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48337

aragon

wuwei

PostPosted: Thu 05 Nov 2009, 11:38    Post_subject:  

It took me a while to read through 8 pages of very useful entries here.
I agree with many of them, and would like to highlight rsp confirm a few items:

IMO making Puppy more nooby friendly would require...
> an easy to understand installation GUI (plenty said above)
> automatic internet connection for a regular DSL/router setup. Other distros can do this, Puppy should be able to do this, too.
> a full featured browser is a must. Whether this be Seamonkey, Firefox or Firedog would be up to the developers. Dillo or Pbrowser are a big turn-off for the unsuspecting newby.
I am not sure that I understand the importance of a 105MB ISO vs one of 110 MB or 115MB. Can 5 or 10MB be worth turning off the first time user?

Most anything else can be searched for on the forum or the Puppy search engine.

Much success technosaurus and colleagues!
technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 05 Nov 2009, 13:40    Post_subject:  

I guess I should clarify something for the non-developers following this thread. We have both a defaultbrowser (Firefox, Opera, Seamonkey, Midori, etc...) for viewing online URLs (http://....) and a defaulthtmlviewer (puppy browser, netsurf, dillo...) for viewing local html files such as local documentation (which most find more user friendly than man pages)
raffy

PostPosted: Thu 05 Nov 2009, 21:27    Post_subject: compromise  

A compromise browser may be essential, something that's already as good as a full-featured browser (useful for webmail as well as for downloads) but is still small. The user can then download his/her favorite (but large) browser suite with this built-in browser.

puppymartin has posted about Kazehakase:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48529

aragon

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 04:25    Post_subject:  

defaulthtmlviewer:
for me Kazehakase, puppybrowser and these have one downside: they are dependant on the existance of the libs/tools from special big browsers.

in opposite to this, dillo or netsurf may no be as nice but are independent.

aragon

amigo

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 06:57    Post_subject:  

I've suggested for a long time that dillo be used with a nice web-page interface for use as html/man page viewing -use during setup with a nice link to where anyones' favorite 'big browser' can be installed.

I have a kinda interesting interface I put together which I've made sure works with dillo. I run the thttp server and have some web-pages put together which use dillo. The page can be as fancy, or simple as you like. The page links run cgi scripts written in bash which can show anything you allow. I run stuff like namazu as a local search engine, ainebot chat with sysadmin features or other personalities and didiwiki is linked there. didiwiwi runs its' own server, but the web inerface is the thing.

Here's a really simple example:

Code:
#!/bin/bash --
# time.cgi
echo -en "Content-type: text/html\n\n<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="5\;URL=/httpd/html/bash-cgi/time.cgi">\n"
echo "<html><head><title>OS Version</title></head><body><H1>"; /usr/bin/date
echo "</H1></body></html>"

The server runs all the time using maybe 1MB of memory. dillo needs 5MB but only when needed. Only the scripts you place in the servers cgi directory can be used and only the files under the www directory can be accessed. The overhead of the cgi scripts is minimal and -no perl, no ruby, no python, thanky.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 8 of 11 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum