Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Sep 2014, 08:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
HanSamBen-a derivative of Edupup with Gcompris 8.4- Alpha V2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 18 of 19 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
sidders

PostPosted: Sun 04 Oct 2009, 16:23    Post_subject:  

SFS load. I dropped the sfs_load on the fly and went back to the Bootmanager, as i found you had to right click on the sfs after each boot to reload it. So thats back to the traditional method. As for the Icons. The sfs will drop a script into the Startup folder. Added a couple of lines to the rc.shutdown to remove any *icon files it finds in the Startup folder so its a one off operation. I'll look into the bootmanager some more as it states you can only load 3 sfs's.

Found the answer to the 3 sfs problem
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36733

The problem now is, if the full CD is being used live or booted off the CD. Will have to incorporate grub into the cd. Looks tricky.[/url]
sidders

PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct 2009, 17:12    Post_subject:  

The SFS in a frugal. After the initial save file created the bootmanager kicks in listing the SFS files. The message about 3 sfs's only has been modified to"if booting from CD 3 sfs's only, if using Grub up to 24" or sonething along those lines. As with the new initrd you have to add
Quote:
/vmlinuz max_loop=28
to the Kernel line in Grub.
I have updated the oneclick install script to include this. Need to do it in the PUI.

The bootmanager will look for the icon script in the Startup dir and execute it if its there. On shutdown the rc.shutdown will also have a look and if there are icon scripts in the Startup dir it will remove them. It works, you can use the SFS straight away from the desktop without a reboot!!!.

In a full install the Sfs installer has been modified to look in the Startup dir and execute anything there, again the rc.shutdown will remove any icon scripts. The only problem is the SFS files have to be moved to / or at least to any directory that can be browsed. Something needs to copy them across from the cd, or something, a post install script maybe, along those lines.

Suggestions please.

I will concentrate on the full install as i think the frugal is sorted. I will burn and test the kiosk\live as well before uploading. I always test copying the files for a frugal to a partition it saves on CD's.
sidders

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct 2009, 11:21    Post_subject:  

Full install. After going through the PUI script several times, i have decided that its too hard to make head nor tail of, so i will come up with a post install option.
After a long hard think, a post install script, that checks the pupmode (2 for full install) mounts the cd, copies the sfs files to / and kicks off the sfs installer.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct 2009, 16:48    Post_subject:  

Thought I'd share this little article

Teaching Kids Programming with Free Programming Languages (For when they are too young for Anjuta - or in our case Geany)
http://www.junauza.com/2009/10/teaching-kids-programming-with-free.html#

Edit: Even better news - (source is Gcompris git)
since the last gcompris release... well here is an excerpt

Code:
+dnl SDLMixer support+AC_MSG_CHECKING([wether we build with SDLMixer (will replace gstreamer by sdl mixer if enabled)])+AC_ARG_ENABLE(sdlmixer,+          AC_HELP_STRING(+          [--enable-sdlmixer],+          [Turn on sdl mixer (will replace gstreamer by sdl mixer)]),+          with_sdlmixer="$enableval", with_sdlmixer="no")+AC_MSG_RESULT($with_sdlmixer)+

scrbbles

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct 2009, 05:28    Post_subject: Doesn't Save Settings
Sub_title: Frugal Install doesn't save

I downloaded a copy right after you said that you tested and in all cases okay. Still when I downloaded and installed (frugal) it still said "session not saved".

Have you changed anything since then?

Also- reread your post...i meant frugal. All installations are frugal for ease of upgrade.
sidders

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct 2009, 18:02    Post_subject:  

@ Scribbles. I am working on this. I have come across a couple of posts, here is one for example:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30820&sid=a956a3f7e36f034f72bf370b3b19a9bc

I need to re-read the post and a couple more times.

@ all. Doing some more testing. Just figured out a postinstall script that will grep the pupstate and if everything points to a full install, mount the CD and copy the SFS's to / then kick off the sfsinstaller with icons and bells. Thats it. If the tests go ok, should i go to Pre-release Or just release it and see what happens. I could start a new thread heralding the release, so people do not have to wade through me basically blogging Laughing

Edit. Hoping to recriut some one local to help out. He needs something to do.

@Technosaurus. I looked into Scratch, but the linux version doesnt close, otherwise its fine, so i opted for Etoys. I will look again at Scratch, as i know the missus is teaching it at her school.
sidders

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 16:49    Post_subject:  

SFS install\load. I have stopped the bootmanager popup after 1st reboot, instead i will put a menu entry in to install\load SFS addon's (not worled out the exact wording. This will kick off a script

Code:
#!/bin/sh
 grep_output=`grep PUPMODE= /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE`
if [ "$grep_output" == "PUPMODE=12" ]; then  #Mount the cd and copy over the SFS's
#Mount the Live CD on /mnt/cdrom and quit if not found
CDROM="cdrom"
CDLIST=`probedisk | grep cdrom | cut -c 1-8` 
CDFOUND=0
for CD in $CDLIST ; do
  mount -t iso9660 $CD /mnt/$CDROM 2> /dev/null
  if [ $? = 0 ]; then
    CDFOUND=1
    break
  fi
done
if [ $CDFOUND = 0 ]; then
  echo
   xmessage "" -bg "#FFFF00" -center -fn "10x20" -title "SFS Installation " " Please ensure the Live CD is inserted and re run
SFS Installer.  Click Okay to exit" &
  exit
fi
rsync -a  --exclude='hsb_412.sfs' /mnt/$CDROM/ /
cd /usr/bin
umount -t iso9660
cd /usr/local/SFS_Installer/
./SFSINSTALLER
else
bootmanager extrasfs quiet
fi

Updated code afer looking at rcrsn51's scripts. Its a lot prettier.

Edited_time_total
jamalexa

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2009, 22:42    Post_subject:  

sidders wrote:
jamalexa . I took my time, but i have tested gcompris on a pc with 64mb ram and it ran ok.

The set up is CPU 600mhz, 64mb ram and 128 swap. Full install.

Can you run gcompris from terminal and see if it throws up any errors.

I just got a chance to go to our other site. I ran gcompris from terminal and got this error message - GCompris wont start because the lock file is less than 30 seconds old.
sidders

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct 2009, 01:19    Post_subject:  

I have had that message before. The lock file is in /root/.gcompris (i think). It was a while ago. I will have a look later and test.
sidders

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct 2009, 17:31    Post_subject:  

jamalexa. Gcompris lock.
Go to /root/.config/.gcompris/ and remove the file gcompris.lock.

The only way i could replicate the problem was to fire up gcompris, shut it down and immediately start it again. Gcompris recreated the lock file and started ok .

I have looked in both the lock files (one i moved and the newly created one) and they had a different string if that is relevant to anybody.
jamalexa

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct 2009, 17:21    Post_subject:  

Thanks, Gcompris works. Now I'll work on the Coins game. Do I rename the file and replace it or just drag and drop the extracted file?
sidders

PostPosted: Sat 31 Oct 2009, 04:18    Post_subject:
Sub_title: Coins

Sorry for not getting back sooner. We've had chicken pox, swiftly followed by flu, every ones on the mend now though.

Just had a look at the US coins and its not the kit. My fault. I will make a pet of them and re load them. Embarassed

The server www.ecomoney,eu that is hosting some of the files is down and it looks like it could be for some time yet.

I am close to pre-release, so will make alternative arrangements.
sidders

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 17:38    Post_subject:  

Just rebuilt the whole thing again using the Gcompris from LJFR. There are more stamps for tuxpaint. Put French and Spanish voices in Gcompris. Left out Stickers. Its swollen to 222mb. I cant see this being a major problem but if you think it is i can trim. The docs are done and in Menu- Help.

Just got to test and finish the initial doc on booting from CD, then its going to release. I've lost 3 weeks due to chicken pox, flu and a busted machine already.

A retro version is following and completed a kiosk version based on Lite. Although you can still right click if using a laptop synaptic touch pad.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 05 Nov 2009, 11:55    Post_subject:  

Did anything require gstreamer other than gcompris? If not, that should save a bit of space.
sidders

PostPosted: Thu 05 Nov 2009, 13:35    Post_subject:  

LJFR has managed to compile Gcompris without Gstreamer, so Gstreamer isnt there at all. This is part of the PM i recieved

Quote:
-Gstreamer is used in gcompris only from the soundutil part to build a sound pipe, so it seems, no need for most of gst plugins, I just excluded those requiring extra dependencies with ./configure options, you could achieve a smaller size by excluding more plugins (all the video/visualization/network ones for example).
now you don't need: libvisual, libtheora, gconf, esound, libtag, aalib, ..
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 18 of 19 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum