USB WiFi Support - The missing link - still missing

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
chazim

USB WiFi Support - The missing link - still missing

#1 Post by chazim »

There's juist not much support out there. So, I'm also "In-Search-Of" USB WiFi support. Not just for Puppy, but, in all Linux Distros. I hate to say this, but, apparently even the wardriver community missed the fine print on the usefullness, and versitility of USB WiFi cards, over the others types. So, the support calls remain unanswered. And, I'm still stuck testing my hardware hack under Windows, till there is support built into Linux.

Long distance WiFi requires a clear line of site to work an AP properly. Some Pcmcia and PCI cards work with an external antenna, most don't, but, still suffer some RF signal loss from the cable, or, antennas they can use.
Most Laptop uses, need to position the laptop for best signal, v/s user comfort.

IMHO - The key for WiFi distance is with USB devices, because, the transciever card can be remoted. A moderate lenght of USB cable can maintain better overall signal link quality, with less degradation, within limits of USB cable lenght requirements, than over current RF antenna cable system.
Take a USB card and place it at the focal point of a small parabolic curve, suddenly you've got an highly directional antenna system that can work stable over a several block distance.
I've remoted several different type USB cards to my tower, just above roof level, with a 20ft of USB cables, and I can see half a dozen distance (average about 4 to 6 blocks away) AP's, and, I can successfully connect to several of the closeser ones, on a regular basis.

Hardware hacks are easy for me,, software is my krytonite..
charlie :roll:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

You're right; putting the RF amps, downconverter and modem as close as possible to the antenna is the best way to go. USB WiFi gizmos haven't been out very long. Maybe that's why there aren't any Linux drivers for them yet.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

The driver situation is not as bad as you suggest.
Chipsets found in USB devices, with a Linux driver, are;

Atmel - BerliOS & atmelwlandriver
Prism2/3 - linux-wlan-ng
Ralink rt2570 - rt2x00
ZyDAS - ZD1211

You will find drivers for these at http://mymirrors.homelinux.org/puppy/wireless/

Chipsets found in USB devices, with no Linux driver but supported by ndiswrapper, are;
Atheros
PrismGT
SiS