dpup-482beta testing

01micko

#281 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm.

Run action for a *.jpg file is set to "defaultpaint". Can we change that to "defaultimageviewer" by default? And while on the topic, "defaultimageviewer" is set to "gview", can we change that to "fotox"? (I have :) )

Another thing, /etc/puppyversion is still the old "476". Barry says it is deprecated, but I still find it useful. To create (ie update) it run..

Code: Select all

grep "DISTRO_VERSION=" /etc/DISTRO_SPECS | cut -d "=" -f2 | awk '{print $1}' > /etc/puppyversion
in a terminal.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

MinHundHettePerro

#282 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

gposil wrote:I have fixed this problem in beta5..I think, at least it doesn't do it for me anymore....add the following to /etc/profile
LC_ALL=C
export LC_ALL
Hope that fixes that...
What if one sets the locale? Haven't tried, just wondering ...
There was a similar LC-issue with 214X, a few months back.

Cheers :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

01micko

#283 Post by 01micko »

Ok, having a play with a wbar gui, this is only the start... just for testing and some feedback.

Extract the folder where ever you like and click "wbar-setup" script. The gui will appear with options to change wbars position and properties. By clicking apply, wbar will be restarted with your new settings.

Note:::: Icon changing has not been implemented yet! So no need to ask!!! It will be :)

Cheers
Attachments
wbargui.jpg
(27.87 KiB) Downloaded 841 times
wbarstuff.jpg
(8.66 KiB) Downloaded 765 times
wbarstuff.tar.gz
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 326 times

vtpup

#284 Post by vtpup »

Nice, 01micko! You might convince me yet to use it.

But how about an option to turn it off, as well? Right now that requires script editing, and filename editing or deletion.

New different problem:

EPDF Viewer

In PDF Viewer 0.1.6 the pdf viewer gets stuck in upper left of my screen with the upper bar offscreen so I can't minimize or close it with the mouse, Worse, right clicking at the top doesn't bring up the Send To, Resize, Close, Kill menu. Possibly because the cursor can't make it to the top bar of the window. I can't seem to move it in any way.

However, I am able to right click on its tab in the bottom screen bar, then click "Move" and then get it away from the top of the screen. After that, when I open the program, it opens wherever I last left it, which is fine.

But if the initial position is where it first opens when Puppy is installed, or when first run off the CD, then it will confuse a lot of new users.

I can't be sure that's where it was on first use -- it is possible I somehow maneuvered it up there, but I don't think that was the case. Anyway, maybe a thing to check is where it opens on a new install and if possible correct that behavior.

Jim1911

#285 Post by Jim1911 »

gposil wrote:Well guys, i've just finished compiling Abiword 2.8 in beta5, and I have got to say, I think they've got it right. It's smaller, faster and have not had a single GTK error all afternoon.
I've played around with it using a MS Word 2003 doc of over 100 pages and it passed with flying colors.

Thanks,
Jim

vtpup

#286 Post by vtpup »

Reading genuine MSWord docs is usually not a problem for any of these WP programs.. It's the writing where they spring up. Make some changes to the Word doc in abiword -- move some margins, type some new text into it, add a table. Then save it, and open it in MSWord, and compare the results. Sometimes even doing nothing, but re-saving a document changes it.

gposil

#287 Post by gposil »

vtpup,

In your Abiword tests, were you using the same fonts in both, and do you have the MS fonts installed, in my testing, having the MS fonts installed makes a world of difference.

On the epdf viewer problem, that is my fault, wherever I opened it in testing is where it was saved...ooops...i'll have to go through that and make sure the initial opening points are desktop central...

Mick
Run action for a *.jpg file is set to "defaultpaint". Can we change that to "defaultimageviewer" by default? And while on the topic, "defaultimageviewer" is set to "gview", can we change that to "fotox"? (I have Smile )

Another thing, /etc/puppyversion is still the old "476". Barry says it is deprecated, but I still find it useful. To create (ie update) it run..
Fixed in beta5 Mick, thanks...and yes the wbar config gui would be a great addition...

Oh, and Mick the configure I used for Abiword is below:
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-plugins="sdw mswrite kword bmp wmf pdf openwriter"
Cheers
Guy

PS. Are there any more outstanding fixes we need to do.
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

vtpup

#288 Post by vtpup »

gposil wrote:vtpup,
In your Abiword tests, were you using the same fonts in both, and do you have the MS fonts installed, in my testing, having the MS fonts installed makes a world of difference.
I used Times New Roman from msttcorefonts in abiword for the test below. It helped with the underline breaking, but nothing else. Notice the difference in column widths in the table, and also the row 4 height. Also notice that the Abiword shows bold text on the second entry, while MSWord doesn't.

I also just tried the same document in Open Office with Times New Roman and it exactly agrees with the MSWord interpretation, not Abiword's.

It actually looks like Abiword is misrendering its own document, since column widths were created uniform in width when the doc was written in Abiword, but when opened later showed variation in width.

Oh, well -- this isn't really your problem, as it is an app bug, not dpup's.
Attachments
TNRDocTest.jpg
(61.2 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times

01micko

#289 Post by 01micko »

Ok thanks for the config options Guy.

The wbar gui is coming along, it should be quite configurable, although a little complex, (so many options :roll: :lol: ). I added a button to kill wbar if you desire (ty vtpup :wink: ) and I have to handle it with a few different guis,,, way to messy otherwise, I will include a detailed help file, it should not end up bigger than 10k compressed (I hope). Does anyone use wbar on the side? I didn't think so, so top and bottom are it!!

I hope to have an alpha (complete) out over the weekend for testing, so I can't see it being ready until beta 6.

Cheers

dejan555

#290 Post by dejan555 »

For turning wbar on/off, maybe just make startup script executable or non executable...
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

01micko

#291 Post by 01micko »

Hi Dejan

My script actually deletes and replaces the startup script, so, what I plan to do is delete it, and then it is easily replaced next time if you want it back. So far it is working, just some problems with the /root/.wbar config file which will be ironed out. :wink:

So far it is only 18k installed, with not much code left to go in, mostly now bugfixing. I will easy beat 10k compressed :) .

Cheers

gposil

#292 Post by gposil »

Thanks for the work on wbar-config Mick...

New for beta5 will be a remote desktop client, for logging onto other network machines using rdp protocol...screenshot below
Attachments
rdp.jpg
rdp
(46.76 KiB) Downloaded 1027 times
rdp2.jpg
rdp
(20.51 KiB) Downloaded 993 times
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

dejan555

#293 Post by dejan555 »

Wow, that one looks exactly like Windows client. :shock:
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

01micko

#294 Post by 01micko »

Rightio then,

Have a play with this

Wbar Configuration (or whatever :lol: )

It basically works, might seem fiddly with all those series of guis but believe me, if I tried to make it all in one gui it would be one big mess :roll: !!

Notes:: Of course this is experimental. Restart from first gui is broken, but I thought I would let it go now because I wouldn't be able to work on it again until Sunday. Help file is incomplete, if any one figures it out .. post! There is a pinstall to back up the original configuration. I've tried to be as verbose as possible, using labels and tooltips. (WOW 4kB :shock: )

Have fun :)

Pet removed, See newer post
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 30 Oct 2009, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

vtpup

#295 Post by vtpup »

Looks great gposil. Just a general question -- I've used TightVNC as a client for non-Microsoft remote stuff from Puppy and Ubuntu. It has a great advantage in working over limited bandwidth connections because it compresses on the fly using jpeg and other methods.

Would it be at all applicable here, or any advantage?

Here's the thread that has the tightvnc .pet I used, and also has X11VNCServer with a script for Puppy. They both worked very well for me.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 29&t=27424

vtpup

#296 Post by vtpup »

Darn,

I had manually removed wbar from /Startup. Now......where/how to get another copy....

01micko

#297 Post by 01micko »

haha!

vtpup! Start the wbar config from the desktop menu and you see the wbar-setup window, click the geometry tab and make sure all the values are full, click apply and presto! A new startup script, with your own configuration...

dejan555

#298 Post by dejan555 »

vtpup: The other way of restoring any original puppy file is to mount main dpup sfs then copy files you need over. :P

vtpup

#299 Post by vtpup »

Mick, oh! :oops:

Hey it works Mick, but unfortunately it's too high or too low on my screen. At the bottom it is under the status bar and at the top it's........heh.....over the top.

I tried to put 10 in Margins, thinking that would make a difference . but they're still mostly off-screen.

Also I kept looking for "xdesktop" in the menu after the pet install. Couldn't find it. Then I realized you were referring to the "Desktop" menu category. I now see the graphic red X next to"Desktop", but my brain ignores that as a graphic. So maybe just say "Desktop" or hope for better brains out there.

Dejan:

Thanks already tried that, but Puppy won't allow you to mount an sfs with the same name. I suppose I could have renamed it and then tried, but Mick already solved it for me.

EDIT: I've played around quite a bit with wbar and restarted X a few times. The hidden wbar at the top of the screen no longer happens. Don't know why, maybe changing things and restarting got them in order. It's okay now.

But the problem is still there at the bottom of the screen. Most noticeable if icon size is set to 24. You do need to have the stationary taskbar at the bottom of the screen to see the problem. Not the autohide taskbar, option.

Also, when I first tried wbar with the fresh install, the bar was always present, even when the mouse wasn't over it. But now it disappears unless the mouse is over the bar. I have transparency set to zero for both bar and icons, if that has anything to do with it.....

Edit#2 Yes it was the transparency......okay got that sorted out. But it's backwards in the numbering system. More transparency should be a higher number. Also the default should be no transparency, and the user can increase it at will. Otherwise new folks won't be able to see the icons when booting the LiveCD.
Last edited by vtpup on Fri 30 Oct 2009, 14:38, edited 2 times in total.

gposil

#300 Post by gposil »

vtpup

with regard your question on dpup's Remote Desktop Client, compression and encryption are both settable options along with many more, i'll upload a pet so everyone can update their beta4...

Here it is...http://dpup.org/test/dpup482beta4-2.6.3 ... 3-dpup.pet
Last edited by gposil on Fri 30 Oct 2009, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.