How to change jpeg to bmp & vice versa?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Urban Hermit

How to change jpeg to bmp & vice versa?

#1 Post by Urban Hermit »

:?: I am a very recent convert to Linux, and the computer-person who presided over my conversion recommended Puppy 4.3.1. (Ironic because I am a cat-person, benevolently indifferent to dogs.) So, that I have; and so far, I am happy with it. I do, however, have one problem, and I hope experienced/advanced users can tell me how to solve it: In Windows, changing jpegs tp bitmap, or vice versa, and manipulating image balance in jpegs, were easy to do. I wish to do this with Puppy 4.3.1, but the people at the shop where I was converted to Linux, have not yet thewmselves figured out how to do this. Would someone knowledgeable please advise?

Thank you.

"To live alone one must be a beast or a god, says Aristotle. Leaving out the third case: one must be both -- a philosopher."
-- Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, Maxims and Arrows #3

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

The premier tool for image conversion in Linux is ImageMagick -but it si a command-line tool. Not sure if the version you are running has it. You can find out by running this command in a terminal:
which convert

If it returns something like:
/usr/bin/convert
you are 'in the money'.
convert img.jp img.<nearly any image format>

There are also GUI image programs in Puppy(depending on version). They support less options, but usually just open the file you want to convert and then choose File >> Save As and choose the format and name you want to save it as -it won't remove the original(neither will the ImageMagick tool 'convert')

Fossil

#3 Post by Fossil »

Urban Hermit,

Welcome.
Most versions of Puppy have mtPaint. For individual images it is one of the quickest ways of either resizing or changing the format. Load image. If you need to resize, go to Image, 'Scale Canvas', input new size - perhaps 800, or 1024. Then, after resizing, File, Save As. Use the drop-down menu File Format to input the required change and, if jpg's, the quality.

If you require more extensive capabilities, download and install XNView with it's dependencies.

http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/big_bass/XnView-1.70.pet

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=15687

CatDude

#4 Post by CatDude »

Hi

Fossil you beat me to it. :lol:
Fossil wrote:If you require more extensive capabilities, download and install XNView with it's dependencies.
The link below is a re-packaged version that i did,
it contains the following packages from this thread: xnview Image converter and viewer
  • XnView-1.70-version4.00.pet
    libXpso6-patch-4.00.pet
    xnview-default-MIME-types.tar.gz (minus one file that already exists in 431)
Plus i added: /usr/share/applications/Xnview-image-viewer.desktop as there wasn't one.
Oh yeah, and an icon: /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/xnview48.png

XnView-1.70-version4.00.pet = 2.51 MB
md5sum c9fd7292fc4d39b160c76a67a2927d2d

Username = puppy
Password = linux

i just tried it out in Puppy-431 and it appears to run OK.

CatDude
Attachments
XnView-in-431.jpg
(141.95 KiB) Downloaded 3415 times
Last edited by CatDude on Sun 03 Jul 2011, 18:31, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Fossil

#5 Post by Fossil »

CatDude.
Thank you. Nice one! Much appreciated. :)

Urban Hermit

Thank-you note

#6 Post by Urban Hermit »

Just a short one to thank all of you for your help. (I apologise for my tardiness in reply.)

abushcrafter

#7 Post by abushcrafter »

Thanks CatDude 8).