Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

Puppeee 4.3X

#1 Post by jemimah »

This distro is no longer maintained. Please try Saluki instead.

The next version of Puppeee is here! This Puppeee comes with a custom ultralight preemptive kernel optimized specifically for EeePcs with Atom or Celeron processors - the result is fast boot time, high performance, and low power usage. I have 4 EeePCs and test Puppeee thoroughly to ensure quality.

Puppeee should work on EeePCs with Intel GMA900, GMA950, and GMA3150 graphics cards. This is nearly all 10 inch or smaller models. There is partial support for the 1101HA/1201HA with the GMA500 using Xvesa.

Read the Puppeee Blog: http://puppeee.com/web/blog/
Get the source code: http://puppeee.com/files/sources/
Download Puppeee: http://puppeee.com/web/download/
Goto the Puppeee Forum: http://puppeee.com/bb

Puppeee 4.4 Development: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=448088

ImagePuppeee Features:
  • Full hardware support for most Atom and Celeron EeePc Models - the kernel is patched to work around common problems with the EeePC. Only drivers needed for the EeePC are included
    Extremely stable 4.3 base, with an upgraded kernel, Xorg, and LibC for extended hardware and package compatibility
    Most applications adjusted to fit small screens - and for ones that don't, you can use Panning or Scaling to get more screen real estate
    Easy USB installer with graphical boot menus - no need to mess with ISOs or remember bootcodes
    Choice of desktop environment: ROX, Netbook Launcher, PCManFM, or none
    Choice of IceWM, Flwm, or OpenBox window managers
    Large selection of Backgrounds, Icons, and Themes
    Synaptics and Elantech Touchpad support
    Pwireless2 - the most advanced network manager available for Puppy
    Graphical Bluetooth support - a Puppy first
    Supports lightweight desktop effects - drop shadows, transparent menus, window fading
    Suspend and hibernate
    Ramboot - diskless power saving mode
    Webcam Capture
    Eee-control utility allows over and under clocking, fan control, and device loading and unloading for maximum performance and battery life
    Fast OpenGL acceleration for games and graphics applications
    Acpi automatic power management and hotkey support
    Prolong your SSD's life and save space with a frugal install
    Over 150 lightweight applications and utilities that open quickly, fit your screen, and won't bog you down
Puppeee aims to pack maximum possible functionality into minimum space. It's not too skinny or too fat. At the moment, the download size is about 130MB. Puppeee includes many upgrades, fixes, and the latest software created by the Puppy Linux community.

Featured Applications:
  • IceWM, Flwm, Openbox
    Rox, PCManFm, and EmelFM2
    Gsmartcontrol, Ddrescue, Photorec, and Testdisk
    Google Chrome Browser, Pidgin IM, Claws Mail
    Goggles Music Manager, Gxine, and Xfmedia
    Pwidgets, Pmenu, Startmount, RoxRightClicks
    Dia, mtPaint, Inkscape, Printoxx, Fotoxx
    UCView Webcam Capture
    FBReader, TangoGPS, Flite Speech Synthesizer
    Pwireless2, PuTTY, Remote Desktop, OpenVPN, Bluez
    Streamtuner, Transmission, Uget
While the included Midori is small and fast, it's not quite bug free. I recommend using downloading one of these browsers.
Chrome 9 SFS:http://puppeee.com/files/distsfs/chrome-9.sfs
Opera 11 SFS: http://puppeee.com/files/sfs/opera11.00.sfs
Firefox 3.6 SFS: http://puppeee.com/files/sfs/firefox-3.6.13.sfs
Seamonkey 2 SFS: http://puppeee.com/files/sfs/seamonkey-2.0.11.sfs

Printing SFS: http://puppeee.com/files/distsfs/printer-scanner-5.sfs

Compiz SFS: http://puppeee.com/files/distsfs/Compiz-0.8.6-1.sfs
Note: Compiz has only been tested with Intel graphics. The python sfs is needed for compiz configuration. The compiz sfs includes cairo dock but rox panel is the default

Last edited by jemimah on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 15:22, edited 63 times in total.

ad4mm

#2 Post by ad4mm »

I used unetbootin with the information provided and it booted the first time and I was at the desktop for a minute it just crashed.

The netboot wouldn't boot after I turned it off but finally did after I turned it off and took the battery out for a bit.

I tried booting again and X wouldn't start, got the error after choosing the 1280X600X16 or 1280X600X24 options.

Sometimes it gave me the Tweak options but wouldn't start X.

I tried the old intel driver and generic driver. Nothing worked.

I also tried re-created the boot disc and still X wouldn't start.

My eee is a 1000HD, 2 GB of RAM, Celeron M 353, 160 GB HDD, Atheros wireless.

Created the USB drive in Ubuntu 9.04, if that makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

magerlab

#3 Post by magerlab »

what is the purpose of zp43105.sfs file?

jakfish

#4 Post by jakfish »

Great instructions, very well-written.

Unfortunately, using XP/unenbootin/sd card/eee 900, I get this error upon booting:

Could not find kernel image: /vmlinuz

The build process seems to work (I generate the files you say are safe to delete), but no joy.

Jake

jemimah

#5 Post by jemimah »

Ad4mm, I did have to adjust the xorgwizard to try to set up the elantech touchpads. I can't test it myself since both of mine are synaptics. If jakfish has the same problem, I'll build the kernel without elantech support until we figure it out.

Magerlab the zp.sfs file holds the kernel modules. That way if I update the kernel you can just download 3 MB rather than 90MB.

Jakfish, try creating the stick in puppy. The puppy installer is better than unetbootin. Also, if using unetbootin, don't skip the format step. Especially if your drive has been bootable before.

jemimah

#6 Post by jemimah »

I found the problem with the xorgwizard. I screwed of the quotation marks in the Elantech section. I will update the files tonight, so if you have an Elantech touchpad, hold off until I get a chance to upload the new version.

prehistoric

test of beta-1

#7 Post by prehistoric »

I've run a test on my 900A, but not used the instructions in your post at the beginning of this topic, because I already had an SD card flash drive booting 4.3.0. What seemed like the simple, obvious, low-risk change was to copy these files: syslinux.cfg, vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pup-431.sfs, zp43105.sfs.

This boots and uncompresses kernel and initrd.gz, but hangs with the message that it can't find pup-431.sfs, which is right there on the SD card. I've tried putting this in an eee subdirectory and setting the psubdir parameter, but this also fails.

From your advice above, I suspect you use the internal SSD on your machines for faster boots, and this is where it is looking for those sfs files, not the SD card. I'm trying to operate entirely off removable storage, so I don't get the several systems I'm testing mixed.

The BIOS text talks as though the SD card is a hard drive, or a flash drive in an IDE adapter, but a look at dmesg reveals it is really a USB flash drive. This is how I've been able to boot from it in the past.

Regards,

prehistoric

jemimah

#8 Post by jemimah »

I do all my testing with sd cards with the sfs on the card. Are you sure you are using my syslinux.cfg? You can add 'pdev=/dev/sdb1' and see if that helps. Oh, and 'usbwait=1' is absolutely required with this kernel.

If it still doesn't work, try following the directions above. ;) Using the Puppy method is highly recommended if you already have a working puppy.
Last edited by jemimah on Wed 28 Oct 2009, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

jakfish

#9 Post by jakfish »

Got it working on an sd card, but won't load video settings on fresh install for eee 900 (same problem as before, I think).

When I used a puppy save file from my 4.31, I was able to get to desktop but no wifi, acpid, and the touchpad suffers the same response problem.

Jake

jemimah

#10 Post by jemimah »

Yeah jakfish, you've got an elantech, and I found a bug in my version of xorgwizard, so please try it again when I upload the new version tonight.

jakfish

#11 Post by jakfish »

jemimah,

What about the problem of fresh install/no video for eee 900? Will new xorgwizard fix this as well, do you think?

Jake

jemimah

#12 Post by jemimah »

Yes, you get no video because xorg.conf is getting messed up by the broken xorgwizard. You can fix it by hand if you know how to edit a file from the console. There are quote marks missing in the synaptics section.

prehistoric

more on boot problem

#13 Post by prehistoric »

I've checked the syslinux.cfg and tried your suggestion with the pdev parameter. No change.

There is one other clue in the error message I get right after it searches for puppy files in disk drives. After it reports that it can't find pup-431.sfs it drops out into an init ram disk console which then reports that it can't find a tty. It sounds very much like the problem is in initrd.gz.

A note on this one: this is the first time I've gotten as far as uncompressing the kernel and searching for Puppy files on a flash device without finishing some kind of boot. Generally, the problem is getting the machine to execute any linux code off the boot device. We may have discovered something new about Puppy 4.3.1. I'm going to keep this SD card for further investigation, and put your next beta on a different card.

jemimah

#14 Post by jemimah »

TTYs don't get created until after the sfs loads. Mine says the same thing when I rename the sfs file.

It should pause for 4 or 5 seconds on "loading drivers to access the disk drives." If it doesn't pause there, and goes straight to "sfs not found" it's because the usbwait parameter was not supplied. I think I will make usbwait to be the default on the next version, that will probably make things more foolproof.

T_Hobbit

#15 Post by T_Hobbit »

Downloading...
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

jemimah

#16 Post by jemimah »

The new version is up. I've updated the URL in the first post.

jtouso

eeepc 901 and special keys

#17 Post by jtouso »

Hi,
waiting new revision xorgconfig free errors.
Other question: how can I activate the "silver" keys in my Asus eeepc 901?
The keys fn+ f3 and f4 (bright) works well. The fn+f7-f8-f9, volume, don´t work
Thanks
jtouso

T_Hobbit

#18 Post by T_Hobbit »

Hi. Testing a USB pendrive installation on a AAO110 with SSD...
Seems that lacks something... drivers and different Fn+key function...
Do you want to try a sub-version of your puplet for AAO?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

jemimah

#19 Post by jemimah »

Jtouso, the new version is up. Go ahead and give it a try. I've included the drivers for the hotkeys so they should just work.

jemimah

#20 Post by jemimah »

T_Hobbit, I wouldn't expect puppeee to work very well on the AAO as it's very EEE specific.

I haven't given up on Fluppy, which will be for all netbooks. I will be releasing a pet for the Fluppy window manager very soon. Then I will start on the kernel. Then I will select applications. Then I will release it.