How to use a BPI USB LAN adapter?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
sailboat1

How to use a BPI USB LAN adapter?

#1 Post by sailboat1 »

I have a usb lan adapter made by BPI. It has the usb plug on one end and a standard plug socket for the cat5 cable to plug into the other end. I do not have any docs or drivers. I would like to know what version of puppy linux supports this type of network adapter and what driver to use. I have been using a wireless pcmcia card with puppy using a win2000 driver and an ndis wrapper that works very well, but when I travel, some motels only have wired internet access in which case I would like to use the usb adapter.

fernan

#2 Post by fernan »

Take a look here:

http://www.broadbandproducts.com/network_bue.html

Is it any of that ? In that case, there is a linux module for it. Downloading the manufacturer drivers, I can see it uses the rtl8150 module.

rtl8150 is included in my Puppy 4.2.1

Try to get the Chipset info from manufacturer. It will help to find the right module.

sailboat1

#3 Post by sailboat1 »

I just checked the link provided and I recognize it as the BUE1M part number. I will try to find what chip set the adapter uses. Can the usb to ethernet adapter work behind a router or is the computer exposed on the internet as a public ip address?

fernan

#4 Post by fernan »

The BUE1M uses the rtl8150 module. (download the drivers and look into the "linux" folder).

That module is included in puppy 4.2.1

The adapter should work as any other network adapter. Security and other issues are not part of it.

Better just try it :)

regards

fernan

sailboat1

#5 Post by sailboat1 »

It now works. Thanks for the help. I am using puppy 2.16 and manually loaded the rtl8150 driver. And the adapter works from behind a router using dhcp.

fernan

#6 Post by fernan »

I' m happy to be useful !

Puppy 2.16 is one of my favorites . !

I hope it will help somebody else.