DIY-Install the Latest Browsers Yourself - Seamonkey 2.0

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
playdayz

DIY-Install the Latest Browsers Yourself - Seamonkey 2.0

#1 Post by playdayz »

WE ARE BACK IN BUSINESS WITH DIY BROWSERS WITH BOTH PUPPY 4.2.1 and 4.3.1. THE PROBLEM WAS DUE, EVIDENTLY, TO A CHANGE IN MY SERVER THAT CAUSED THE PETS TO BECOME CORRUPTED. Big_Bass, Pizzasgood, and Trapster came to the rescue in this thread. All thanks to them. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48432

Part of the reason I love Puppy and Linux is the opportunity and ability to do things myself, rather than depending on someone else to make a pet. It is quicker too. I especially like to keep up with the latest browsers. Firefox 3.6beta, Firefox/Swiftfox 3.5.x, Seamonkey 2.0, and Opera 10.10beta all work with both Puppy 4.2.1 and 4.3.1., with the proper pets added to Puppy.

The tweaks to prepare your system and download and install the new browsers are simple. The new browsers require dbus, dbus-glib, and (for Firefox/Swiftfox) libgio. Dbus does *not* have to be running, just the libraries present on the system. So here are the libraries. I have tested them on 4.2.1 and 4.3.1 AND am using Swiftfox at the moment. I enjoy comparing browser speed by testing them at Peacekeeper http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action which is where I saw the big difference between Seamonkey 1.1.x and Seamonkey 2.0. Somewhere in the forums I have recently seen dbus and dbus-glib pets that ttuuxxx prepared but I couldn't find them again so I made these from Slackware 12.2 packages.These are very small pets. Download them and install by clicking and your system is ready for the latest browsers. Then just download the browser in tar.gz, tar.bz2, or tgz format and click to unpack. Open the resulting folder and click the appropriate executable (Seamonkey, Firefox, etc) and there you are. Firefox 3.6beta runs on 4.2.1 with the extra libraries and benchmarks 20-25% faster than Firefox 3.5.4 on Peacekeeper..

I am using Opera 10.10beta right now. That's 10.10 not 10.01, which is also available. 10.10 is supposed to be faster, of course, and to have something called Unite.Addendum Opera. I am surprised but it looks like that all Opera 10 needs to add to Puppy 4.2.1 is libqt-mt. So here is a pet that adds only that:
libqt-mt --> http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy400/libqt-mt.pet
Once that pet is installed, Opera 10.* can be used just like the others, download, unpack, open folder, click executable (opera). Synth has prepared some fast versions of Opera 10 and I think it will be fun to compare those to this method.
You must check the box to "Download this package in TAR.GZ format" It is OK to leave the distro as Ubuntu.
Opera 10.10beta--> http://unite.opera.com/

Testing for Fun. I tested the latest official Opera 10 beta 2 with the Opera 10 pet prepared by Synth. The Opera I downloaded used Qt 3.3.8b and Synth's used Qt 4.5.2. Synth's was larger 47MB to 27 MB as I recall and also Synth's was much prettier as it used a good Qt style rather than the ugly default that looks like windows 95. Synth's was also faster by 1299 to 1265, a small difference. On the same machine in the same circumstances, Swiftfox scored 1833, such a whopping difference that it calls the results into question. However, i watched the test and the Swiftfox test looked faster for sure. The absolute value of the test results doesn't mean much of course, only the comparisons on a particular machine. Now for Seamonkey 2....

I went ahead and tested the ones I had:
  • Swiftfox 3.5.1 - 1833
    Firefox 3.5.1 - 1665
    Seamonkey 2.0b1 - 1661
    Opera10b2 - 1299
    Seamonkey 1.1.17 - 482
    Internet Explorer 6 in Wine - 238
On my machine, Swiftfox always scores about 10% faster than Firefox (presumably because it is optimized for each different processor). Firefox 3.5.1 and Seamonkey 2.0b1 should be similar because they use the same new gecko. I still don't know about Opera, since this is a stock 4.2.1 with only the dbus, dbus-glib, and libgio mentioned here added..... And look at Seamonkey 1.1.17.

Disclaimer: People who make pets rock! I know how hard it is or can be and I definitely appreciate what they do. Thanks to all of us. But it is good to be self-reliant too.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 01:13, edited 32 times in total.

matt_chsi

Firefox

#2 Post by matt_chsi »

thanks for the tip, I downloaded puppy on Sunday and I have been trying to install FF because seamonkey will not render facebook properly.

sfl7fl

Re: Install the Latest Browsers Yourself - Seamonkey 2.0 beta 1

#3 Post by sfl7fl »

great! just installed and configured ff 3.5.1, how do you know which extra files are needed :?:

playdayz

#4 Post by playdayz »

sfl7fl asked
how do you know which extra files are needed
If you navigate rox to the folder that has firefox in it then Right-Click, choose Window and Terminal Here; then in that terminal enter ./firefox. If a library is missing it will give you an error message that it couldn't find that library, then you get that library and do it again to see if anything else is missing. Just trial and error ;-)

If you get into it and want the next step, it is to go to slackware packages and see if they have that library; if they do then download it and I think there are programs in the forums to turn tgz files into pets. I unpack the tgz file into a folder and then use "dir2pet" to turn that folder into a pet package.

sfl7fl

#5 Post by sfl7fl »

thankyou, i would like to contribute, so now i can

firepants-jr

Re: Firefox

#6 Post by firepants-jr »

matt_chsi wrote:thanks for the tip, I downloaded puppy on Sunday and I have been trying to install FF because seamonkey will not render facebook properly.
Exactly why I wanted Firefox again. If I'm not mistaken, SeaMonkey appears to be a reincarnated Netscape Navigator. Navigator had its day, 15 years ago, but those halcyon days are long gone.

Now let's see if we can get the f@#$ing Adobe Flash bug worked out so my CPU does choke on Mafia Wars. 8)

Thanks for the in-depth instructions!

Bowhunter

Re: Firefox

#7 Post by Bowhunter »

firepants-jr wrote:
matt_chsi wrote:thanks for the tip, I downloaded puppy on Sunday and I have been trying to install FF because seamonkey will not render facebook properly.

I started w' Puppy Linux just 2 weeks ago. Seamonkey worked on FB for about 2 days and then broke, no longer rendering the ID picutres. Something I did? Can't tell.

I've got Swiftfox up and running on 4.2.1 and find it excellent. I am now working to replace Seamonkey for email. The answer there appears to be Thunderbird.

I've used Opera on Windows and really like the performance and the concept, but Firefox has some details in the way it works I prefer, IE the on page word find.

Would rather have Evolution for email, but have learned Evolution is dependent on the Gnome desktop which is not available to Puppy.

xman

Re: DIY-Install the Latest Browsers Yourself - Seamonkey 2.0b1

#8 Post by xman »

Highly critical: Opera 10 multiple vulnerabilities (http://secunia.com/advisories/37182/2/).
playdayz wrote:Synth has prepared some fast versions of Opera 10 and I think it will be fun to compare those to this method... But it is good to be self-reliant too.
So, I removed Synth's Opera 10 from Puppy 4.31-2.6.25.16. I don't know why but I have to search and delete old Opera folders and files manually. Then I DIY-installed Ubuntu package of Opera 10.01 (opera-10.01.gcc4-shared-qt3.i386.tar.bz2). Opera 10.01 feels better than Opera 10 did. :D

PaulBx1

#9 Post by PaulBx1 »

If I'm not mistaken, SeaMonkey appears to be a reincarnated Netscape Navigator. Navigator had its day, 15 years ago
Actually, I think Seamonkey is as far removed from Navigator as Firefox is. And the two are pretty close, browser-wise.

Bowhunter

#10 Post by Bowhunter »

@ Xman, thanks for the heads up re Opera vulnerabilities.

Thanks also to Playdayz for working out the .PET problems.

I successfully got Swiftfox and T-bird up and running. Swifty would happily call t-bird when an email link was clicked, but clicking links in emails would not call Swiftfox, nor anything else. Nothing happens. After doing what I describe below, I tripped across an ultimate solution mentioned in another discussion thread.

I decided I needed a usable stable system for a while, so I removed Swiftfox and Thunderbird, and carefully setup Seamonkey to serve as browser and email for now.

I'll get back to the Swiftfox/T-bird combo later.

BTW, I've concluded the search engine for the forum misses a lot of older stuff. I'll have to look into setting searches to go way way back and truly search thoroughly.
Chicago IL. area...Dell Latitude P3 850mhz w' 0.5gig RAM, 20gig HD. 1 USB with No boot BIOS, CD/DVD ROM, Linksys WiFI card, open PCMCIA slot, ethernet. Puppy 4.2.1 frugal install running from the hard drive.

xman

#11 Post by xman »

Opera 10.10 is released (http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2009/11/23/). I DIY-installed Ubuntu tar.bz package over 10.01 using install.sh script. Then I deleted 10.01 folders. All settings and bookmarks survived. :roll:

Version information
Version 10.10
Build 4742
Platform Linux
System i686, 2.6.25.16
Qt library 3.3.8b
Java Runtime Environment installed

Browser identification
Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.2.15 Version/10.10

Paths
Preferences /root/.opera/operaprefs.ini
Saved session /root/.opera/sessions/autopera.win
Bookmarks /root/.opera/bookmarks.adr
Opera directory /root/.opera/
Cache /root/.opera/cache/
Help documents /root/.opera/opcache/
Mail directory /root/.opera/mail/
Plug-in path /usr/lib/opera/plugins /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
User CSS directory /root/.opera/styles/user/

xman

#12 Post by xman »

xman wrote:Opera 10.10 is released (http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2009/11/23/). I DIY-installed Ubuntu tar.bz package over 10.01 using install.sh script. Then I deleted 10.01 folders./
...and also install folder (from /root/opt).

More techniques to complete diyding of Opera 10.10.

Need Content Blocker (Ad-Block)? Edit urlfilter.ini file (or download it from http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/ or somewhere you find usable one, and save it to /root/.opera).

Want to manage scripts? Keep javascript globally off and use Opera's 'Edit Site Preferences' opening by right-clicking site's blank space to allow it if needed.

Enjoy opera! :wink:

xman

#13 Post by xman »

Mozilla released Firefox 3.5.6 on Wednesday. This is stability and security update. There is three highly critical vulnerabilities in Firefox 3.5.5 (http://secunia.com/advisories/37699/).

:wink: Updating is recommendable!