Wine 1.1.30 + winetricks +color setter +goodies ...pet & sfs

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
mikeb

#221 Post by mikeb »

So my question is... how can I make the fonts render nicely on the X screen when running MS apps (such as Office 97 word) over wine (even the fonts in the word menu bars don't render very nicely). Or can it not be done as yet?
don't ask me where but there is a reg file to add via regedit that makes wine use antialiasing so smoothing the fonts.

mike

vovchik

#222 Post by vovchik »

Dear mcewanw,

Please check out my earlier post:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 38&t=39134
With kind regards,
vovchik

mcewanw

font smoothing

#223 Post by mcewanw »

Thanks greatly for that vovchik.

Fantastic. Makes all the difference in the world.

But why on earth aren't these reg values incorporated in wine by default I wonder?
github mcewanw

mikeb

#224 Post by mikeb »

But why on earth aren't these reg values incorporated in wine by default I wonder?
because some like a terminal world for their computors and feel such frills are unecessary

mike

mcewanw

#225 Post by mcewanw »

davids45 wrote: On the bad side, MS Office 2002 doesn't install for me, at least for the older wines. I'll try 1.1.31 soon.

David S.
Might be worth trying one of the free Windows OS versions of Softmaker Office over wine:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 579#354579
github mcewanw

mcewanw

office 2007 over wine

#226 Post by mcewanw »

davids45 wrote: On the bad side, MS Office 2002 doesn't install for me, at least for the older wines.

David S.
I don't have either MS Office 2002 or MS Office 2007, but the following is supposed to work with 2007. It also seems to work as an alternative way of installing MS Office 97 if you tell winecfg you are using Win 98 rather than Vista (I tried it, but haven't tested the successful installation since).

I'm hoping this method might also work with ashampoo badged Softmaker Office 2008 too, but I haven't had time to download that yet:

I am using technosaurus's winlite_1.1.30.

Method From:
http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/04/09/i ... -in-linux/

1. Install Wine
2. Select Applications>Wine>Configure Wine to bring the Wine Configuration dialog box. (EDIT - mcewanw: I used winecfg)
3. Select Windows Version as Windows Vista from the Applications Tab
4. Override two dll files rpcrt4.dll and msxml3.dll from Libraries tab. Override them to be Native (Windows)
5. Download rpcrt4.dll file. Click here http://www.mediafire.com/?njtut9aswdk and save it on your desktop.
6. Open the c_drive from Wine menu
7. Delete rpcrt4.dll and msxml3.dll files from Windows/System32 directory.
8. Copy the downloaded rpcrt4.dll file into Windows/System32 directory
9. Download msxml3.msi file from Microsoft download site (here is the direct link for your convenience).
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en
10. Install msxml3.msi file from the Terminal window by issuing msiexec /i msxml3.msi
11. Double click on setup.exe file from your MS Office 2007 installation CD. If it doesn’t work just type wine setup.exe from the Terminal window.
12. Follow the normal installation procedures.

EDIT: Wine headquarters recommends the similar howto below as somewhat safer since it uses Crossover office's version of rpcrt4.dll rather than some unknown version:

http://wine-reviews.net/microsoft/offic ... guide.html

EDIT: It may well be that on newer wine versions none of the above junk is actually required. Indeed, I've now tried installing office 97 without dcom98 or the above and it seems to install if I tell winecfg to use the native wine version of rpcrt4.dll (I thought it would use that automatically by default, but still I needed to tell it!)
Last edited by mcewanw on Mon 26 Oct 2009, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

vtpup

Re: Office 97 apps tested working with wine_lite-1.1.30

#227 Post by vtpup »

mcewanw wrote:The apps seem to work, and responsively (but it would be great to know from a wine usage "expert" if their is a better/improved way of setting apps like this up)!
I'm not an expert, I just use it a lot. But a little while back I installed Office 97 and Office 2000 on different machines. I already had Dcom98 (the Microsoft installer) from past work, but as I remember it, all I did to install office (or most Win apps.) was just mount the CD and navigate through Rox to setup.exe and click it.

Edit: remembering more, I had probably already associated .exe files with Wine.To do this yourself, just right click on any ,exe file and select "Set Run Action", then fill in "Set shell action" with: wine "$@"

Likewise to put icons on the desktop, I just navigated to /root/desktop and the startup icons were there. Usually labeled something like "Microsoft Word.desktop" These were just dragged to the desktop and renamed simply "Word"

I hope I'm not mis-remembering the steps. I believe there is a question in the MSOffice setup process where it asks if you want desktop icons -- I probably answered yes to that, that's why they were available in /root/desktop -- as a guess.

On another note re. Wine,

I've been running dpup482 as a test for possible migration path from my old 4.1.2 system. Dpup is a Woof beta based on the Debian repository. Anyway, as a test I just went to WineHq and downloaded the Debian Wine 1.1.31 .deb and clicked on it. It installed instantly.

I then tested a bunch of my Win programs already onboard, since I keep the .wine folder in /mnt/home on a frugal install. I just drag it back into /root/ and make an absolute link to it for each puplet I have. All the programs ran perfectly! So simple. I'm liking the ability to load .debs directly without unpacking them and converting to .pets

1.1.32 wasn't out then, but I'm sure it is now. So I might just upgrade, since it's so easy to do.

mcewanw

#228 Post by mcewanw »

I managed to get softmaker office 2008 working as a portable app over wine as described here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 254#355254
github mcewanw

vtpup

#229 Post by vtpup »

I had things running pretty well under Wine 1.1.24 (the sfs version) on Puppy 4.3.1 (2.6.21.7 kernel) version on my Thinkpad 600E. So I decided to try to upgrade to 1.1.32 although that one is only available as a .pet.

I uninstalled the shs and then re-installed with the wine-1.1.32-i486.pet.

I didn't install the DEV version -- not quite sure what the "DEV" stands for.

However, this one didn't work as well with Msoft Office 2000. I noticed some strange cursor artifacts (it turned magenta in wine and there was an attempt at shadowing that didn't work well, and the window for Word wouldn't refresh properly -- leaving artifacts from the background. I'm not sure why -- perhaps the video settings were off -- I don't want to necessarily assume it is this .pet. I did try setting the video settings in wineconfig to no acceleration. Maybe that was the problem.

But anyway, the 1.1.24 shs seemed to work better for me with this rig. In fact I was actually able to run DesignCad 17 Max3D, which is a first for this computer outside of Win98. I did have to download the full xorg dri pet to do it. But I was amazed to see the rendering -- without a modern accelerated graphics card.

DesignCad also wouldn't run with the 1.1.32.pet -- complained about missing GLU32.dll. Perhaps this version is stripped a little too much compared to the 1.1.24 .sfs version. I'm running 16 bit color, by the way to keep things as fast as possible.

Anyway just thought I'd post some comments re. the .pet.

I have used Wine 1.1.32 with my desktop machine under dpup, downloaded as a .deb from WineHq itself. That worked great with my NVIDIA card on that machine. DesignCad and MS Office 2000 ran perfectly in 1.1.32 there. but again that wasn't a stripped version, but the standard .deb

vtpup

#230 Post by vtpup »

Just a followup:

I tried the 1.1.31 pet, the full version, and again, Word 2000 had weird screen affects, and crashed at times, and Designcad could not open -- throwing the missing GLU32.dll error message.

I then went to the first post in this thread, and having removed the 1.1.31 Pet, I downloaded Technosaurus' 1.1.28 wine .pet. This one worked perfectly. Word 2000 was stable, and DesignCad opened and rendered perfectly. Also, there were menu entries for all the Wine supporting utilities -- these had been missing before, even though the winefiles no-tricks .pet had been installed -- that one apparently doesn't make menu entries.

Anyway, sorry GreenDome, but there seems to be something missing in the two pets 1.1.31 and 1.1.32 that prevent Word 2000 and DesignCad from running on this machine. The Technosaurus Wines (full versions) on the other hand seem to work well with these programs.

mcewanw

associating files with wine programs

#231 Post by mcewanw »

Yes, I'm looking forwards to technosaurus compiling the latest wine! :-)

In case anyone has problems with associating files types with apps being run under wine, I've posted info here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 832#360832
github mcewanw

Peterm321

#232 Post by Peterm321 »

5. Download rpcrt4.dll file. Click here http://www.mediafire.com/?njtut9aswdk and save it on your desktop.
For your information while the rpcrt4.dll may be beneficial for Office software, my version of portable firefox crashes with undefined symbols, requiring me to revert to the builtin rpcrt4.dll.

Puppy 4.0, Wine 1.1.30.

mikeb

#233 Post by mikeb »

For your information while the rpcrt4.dll may be beneficial for Office software, my version of portable firefox crashes with undefined symbols, requiring me to revert to the builtin rpcrt4.dll.
If placed in the office program folder then only office will use it...windows includes the startup folder in its path

mike

Peterm321

#234 Post by Peterm321 »

If placed in the office program folder then only office will use it...windows includes the startup folder in its path
Well, I suppose I should have made it clear I am not using any windows version of Office (I am happy with Linux based OO 2.02 , the 3.xx versions a bit too bloated IMHO). My post was for information only, namely that rpcrt4.dll (at least by itself without addition Ms Dlls ) may not be suitable as a general inclusion into the wine C:\Windows\System32 directory as a replacement for the builtin.

I tried it only to see if portable FF could benefit, FF being the largest Win32 application I use with WINE.

Thanks

green_dome

#235 Post by green_dome »

Here is another novice attempt at compiling wine.

wine-1.1.33-i486.pet (release 1)
wine_DEV-1.1.33-i486.pet - development package (release 1)
wine_DOC-1.1.33-i486.pet - documentation package (release 1)

The main executable file is slightly bigger this time because I decided not to strip it. Not stripping the executable appears to be beneficial for bug tracking and fixing. (source)

I installed these packages before compiling:

jack-audio-connection-kit-0.116.1-i486.pet (source)
jack-audio-connection-kit_DEV-0.116.1-i486.pet (source)
xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet (source)
xorg_xorg_full_dri_DEV-7.3.pet (source)

During the wineprefix creation it will attempt to download Gecko. Either let it download automatically, or do it manually (source):

Code: Select all

wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wine/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab

mkdir -p /usr/share/wine/gecko

mv wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab /usr/share/wine/gecko/
By the way, I also look forward to Technosaurus releasing an expertly crafted compiled Wine package.

vtpup

#236 Post by vtpup »

Hi Green-Dome. Thanks so much for putting in the time and effort to compile the latest Wines.

I tired this one with great hopes, but Word 2000 crashed when moving the cursor, as it had in previous compiles. I didn't try DesignCad. Wish I could say what is missing or wrong, but I can't.

vovchik

#237 Post by vovchik »

Dear green_dome,

Thanks for the build. Works fine in Puppy 3.01 and Puppy 4.10.

With kind regards,
vovchik

musher0

#238 Post by musher0 »

To green_dome:

Your wine 1.1.33 pets work great on dpup, too! Congrats!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

ttuuxxx

#239 Post by ttuuxxx »

I've compiled wine in the past for others and never used it, but now I'm converting my wife over to Puppy :) and which is the last windows pc in the house.
But I'm having issues on getting the mimes to recognise MS word.
I have wine/word 2003 working nicely but when I click on a word doc. It won't open, I tried all different things, links, scripts etc, any ideas how to set the mimes up to recognise MS word 2003?
If anyone has the mimes etc please post them :) I need to get this fixed asap or she might make me reinstall grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr XPPPPPPPPPPPPP.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

musher0

#240 Post by musher0 »

Hi, ttuuxx!

Have you tried something like this?

I don't use Word under Wine, I use OpenOffice, which has basically the same menu, so Madame ttuuxx might probably not be disoriented if she tries it.

I know nothing about mime types, but there's the default ms-dos one in the ROX-Filer dir (/root/.config... etc.) called application-msdos-executable, or something like tnat. That's the default mime-type that comes with wine.

Other than that, the closest suggestion I would have is this, which I have put in my SentTo" dir for word docs, but then it does not load the document...

cause the Linux variable "$@" is used by wine to launch the Windows program. Maybe that's why the Windows program can't use it to launch its own file. (Tried the old dos one, "%1", too, but that doesn't work.)

In any case, if it can trigger some ideas, here goes:

=-=-=-=-=-=
#!/bin/sh
# Script pour lancer Atlantis_Nova

cd /mnt/sdg1/extension_muppy/windows/Editeurs/Atlantis_Nova
wine Atlantis_Nova.exe
# "$1" # variable for file does not work.
=-=-=-=-=-=

Atlantis Nova is a magnificent *.doc and *.rtf editor, incidentally, and it works great as is under wine.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)