Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions

#1 Post by BarryK »

Puppy 4.3.1, the bugfix release of 4.3, is released!

Took a long time to upload to ibiblio.org, but finally got there! Download from ibiblio only for now, as not yet filtered through to the mirrors:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ppy-4.3.1/

When the mirrors catch up, you can get to them via the main Puppy download page:

http://puppylinux.com/download/

There are lots of ISOs to choose from:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -files.htm

...the main guy, that will suit most people, is 'pup-431.iso', size 104.9MB.

The main announcement and release notes page is here:

http://puppylinux.com/download/release-4.3.htm

...scroll down that page and you will see the list of differences between 4.3 and 4.3.1.

Note, I will monitor this forum thread for bug reports and feedback, but most of my attention will be shifting to development of Woof.
Some bugs and suggestions will of course be relevant to Woof, but the main thrust of development of the next Puppy in the 4.x series, 4.4, is being coordinated by technosaurus, plus some helpers.

Those guys will probably monitor this thread too, for anything relevant to 4.4. Also there are a couple of 4.4-specific threads on this forum.
Last edited by BarryK on Sat 17 Oct 2009, 07:56, edited 2 times in total.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

I did a download and update from 4.3
Used md5sum because the directories have not been changed from uploading yet . . .That went OK
Is it possible with the GTKhash calculate to drag and drop files? Not sure who created that prog but that would be nice :)
Also added the devx and installed from ppm (Puppy Package Manager) LXRAD GUI designer.

So far so good. :)
This may be a limitation of the GTK+ GUI but if you resize the ppm,
the categories do not move to the left, giving you the benefit of more info. I thought this could be solved by using a <frame>?

thanks Barry
thanks everyone
:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

Lobster wrote:
Is it possible with the GTKhash calculate to drag and drop files? Not sure who created that prog but that would be nice :)
Drag and drop with GTKhash works for me.
I open GTKhash, and then drag and drop the file to be checked to the file line.
The file name then appears on the file line, I click the Hash button and it does it's job.

raffy

thanks

#4 Post by raffy »

Thanks, Barry. I have posted the announcement in the news site.

BTW, Alienjeff and Keo must be tired, as they man the PuppyLinux IRC channel at freenode. (To get there, enter your desired nickname and enter "puppylinux" in the box for Channel.)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

fyujj

#5 Post by fyujj »

*SOLVED*

Hi, I downloaded the delta file pup430.iso:pup431.iso, created the pup431.iso and checked the md5sum and it matched exactly.

Then I created a folder (pup431) with the extracted vmlinuz, initrd.gz and pup-431.sfs as usual. (I kept in the folder pup430 - my 4.3 frugal install - in the same partition). Updated grub and booted.

It booted then came a message that I was upgrading (strange since it was in it's own folder) and then came a kernel panic - not syncing.

I'm in Puppy 4.3 now, I opened the folders to see if it was ok and found that (mysteriously) there was a pup-431.sfs inside the pup430 folder as well as the original pup-430.sfs.

Unless I had made some mistake (which I suspect I haven't), Puppy saw that there was another Puppy nearby and mixed things. In the partition in which the folders are located the are an opera and profile folders that were created when I installed Opera in Puppy 4.3. Maybe this confounded the boot process.

Anexed are screenshots of the partition I have the Puppy folders (pup430 and pup431), and pup430 (with its mysterious new files)and pup431 folders.

If it's just a matter of deleting the pup430 folder and the opera and profile folders, for me it's ok since I have backups of what matters. Edit- deleted and solved.
Attachments
home.png
(23.72 KiB) Downloaded 16148 times
pup431.png
(24.71 KiB) Downloaded 16207 times
pup430.png
(33.11 KiB) Downloaded 15658 times
Last edited by fyujj on Sat 17 Oct 2009, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

mawebb88

Alsamixer problem

#6 Post by mawebb88 »

Still the same on 431 as previous 430 and earlier beta's. No master volume slider and volume on system tray is always showing muted at each reboot

Rgds Mike
EeePC901

dogone

431 Final Observations

#7 Post by dogone »

NOTE: I observed and reported items 1 through 4 below in 431 RC1 and 431 RC2. I am now reporting the same in 431 Final. Frankly, I am disappointed so see three significant problems ignored. Why?

SQLiteManager and CPU Freq Scaling are important applications. Worse, we have all known about the SFS-related desktop icon reset problem for many months. User's new to Puppy take one look at that mess and re-boot their Windows install. It makes for a very bad first impression. 431 has a lot going for it. I hate to see it marred by such things.

Ongoing report of issues observed in 431 Final on c.2004 Athlon-based desktop (frugal) and/or c.2000 Intel P4-based laptop (CD).

4. SQLiteManager "freeze" after selecting Tools/Options.

3. Bootmanager loading or unloading of SFS files still resets desktop icons!

2. No compatible modules found by CPU Frequency Scaling Tool. Compatible modules are found for both systems under Puppy 430.

1. No ROX menu entry for Partview app. Note also that "free" figures returned by Partview do not agree with those returned by df command. Differences range between 10% and 45%. I suggest Partview *not* use the "alert" color red.

alienjeff

compiling not working

#8 Post by alienjeff »

Frugal install, devx installed, etc.

When trying to compile a driver (wifi module):

./configure: no such file or directory

make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/build: no such file or directory. Stop.

UPDATE:

Installed kernel_src-2.6.30.5-patched.sfs4.sfs

Still no dice w/ ./configure

make provides many error messages, though it appears to be, ahem...trying to compile
Last edited by alienjeff on Sat 17 Oct 2009, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

ralphv

Re: Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions

#9 Post by ralphv »

puppy 4.3 with and without the bug fix applied won't see eth0. Do I need to compile a module, too?
if anyone needs kernel source it is in http://puppylinux.com/sources/kernel-2.6.30.5/.
Or, for something smaller, try
ftp://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/archli ... pkg.tar.gz.
Tar.gz will install with a click just like a .pet file.

Ralph

fyujj

#10 Post by fyujj »

The problem I was having was solved by deleting my Puppy 4.3 frugal install (pup430, opera and profile folders). Sorry if it was rather a matter of general help than a bug.

svgt

#11 Post by svgt »

deleted
Last edited by svgt on Wed 21 Oct 2009, 00:33, edited 2 times in total.

prehistoric

EeePC audio + crashing window blacks desktop

#12 Post by prehistoric »

The problem reported above by mawebb88 on the EeePC 901 is similar to the problem on the EeePC 900A. There is a slider visible, but it always starts muted. There are other issues in getting microphones to work. Still investigating how Xandros does this, as their audio works well on the same machine.

On an entirely different machine, a Shuttle FS51G with a 1.7 GHz Celeron 2 and 512 MB RAM, I've had a problem of the desktop crashing, while using Puppy to examine a Windows system partition, when there are too many files in a directory. (You know what a mess you find in a Windows system folder.) I may have just been lucky using Puppy for this before, but now I've had the problem happen twice in a few minutes. The panel remains on the screen, but everything else is black. I've been restarting the window manager to get the desktop back.

dawg

Re: 431 Final Observations

#13 Post by dawg »

dogone wrote:... Worse, we have all known about the SFS-related desktop icon reset problem for many months. User's new to Puppy take one look at that mess and re-boot their Windows install. It makes for a very bad first impression. 431 has a lot going for it. I hate to see it marred by such things.
Good point, agree 100%

On to my re-reports..
I can confirm the same thing for 4.3.1-final as from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1&start=88
This only goes for my Compaq P4 lappy with the new kernel, however, and the older kernel works fine (I'm using it now).
The Dell P3 lappy seems to work mighty fine with any kernel.

And I've reported this elsewhere before: since 4.3, Puppy has been ignoring the power button on both of my laptops, so now I always have to use the Menu->Shutdown->PowerOff procedure.

EDIT: it also ignores my Athlon desktop's power button.
Other than that, frugal install boots in 25s (CPU underclocked to XP1500+, 640MB RAM), which is nice, I'm also gonna try full HDD install + full CPU speed one of these days :D
Last edited by dawg on Sun 18 Oct 2009, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

wuwei

Upgrade a frugal install from 421 to 431

#14 Post by wuwei »

Has anybody tried upgrading a frugal installation of Puppy 421 to 431?

I found several major problems and did not succeed with the upgrade.

First, the pup_safe.2fs file of 421 is now called pupsafe.2fs. Okay, one could rename the file. But it does prevent an automatic update when starting from the new 431 CD.

Next, after renaming the pup_safe file, the version upgrade starts optimistically, but neither xorg nor xvesa will work.

Then I reinstalled 421 from a backup, booted into 421 and removed the nVidia driver plus any sfs.

Again renaming to pupsafe.2fs and booting from the 431 CD. This time xorg works and the JWM desktop opens. Yet, most icons are misplaced or lost their picture file. So far, this could be adjusted for manually. But when I installed the new nVidia driver NVIDIA-173.14.20-k2.6.30.5-1.pet found through this post
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 191ddd3086
X crashes and cannot be revived.

The only solution was a complete new frugal install of Puppy 431.

Does anybody have a similar experience? Or is this just me?
I do recall previous version upgrades worked by just starting from the new CD. Was this intentionally changed? If so...why?

Thanks for helping me understand.

Edit:
Thanks gnz11; that makes things clearer. I have resorted to a new frugal of 431 anyway; you confirm this to be the route of choice. So be it.
Last edited by wuwei on Sun 18 Oct 2009, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

gerry

#15 Post by gerry »

Pup-431 Live CD won't boot.

I've been running Puppy 4.2.1 live cd, with two save files.

I downloaded the 105MB pup-431 iso, md5 checked it, burnt it to cd, and tried to boot. At the "Performing a "switch-root" to the layered file system" step, I get "Kernel panic- not synching: Attempted to kill init!".

The cd boots ok in the family Windows machine.

Puppy machine is old 600MHz Intel Celeron, 256MB ram.

Do I have to delete the two old pupsave files? Forget it!

I'll check to see if there is any other old junk on the hard drive, but I don't think so.

EDIT: there was, there isn't, didn't make any difference.

EDIT: I'll try an older kernel.

Gerry

dawg

#16 Post by dawg »

Gerry, perhaps an older kernel version from the "special puppies" folder will work for you,
such as this one: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... modems.iso
or this one: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... modems.iso
the rest: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... l-puppies/

gnz11

about upgrading

#17 Post by gnz11 »

for wuwei: there are big differences between 421 and 43/1

421 is from unleashed and new recompiled packages. sometimes even close versions don't always do well with upgrade.

43/1 was recompiled from 412 with woof.
if space isn't too much of a problem i would suggest using a new frugal for 43.

for gerry: similar to above. each version should be started with it's own save. they can be fine after update but sometimes not. to stop the new version from updating at start hit F2 and use puppy pfix=ram at boot. this will keep it from touching any savefiles.

also in 421 there is a stop to see what savefile you want to use.
in 43 it finds it's save and just starts up.

i say this from having about 6 savefiles from 301,421, 421bb, 43.

it's better to set up a small savefile for each version then blending. when we went through this between 2x,3 and 4 series it got ..interesting

scabz

Re: Alsamixer problem

#18 Post by scabz »

mawebb88 wrote:Still the same on 431 as previous 430 and earlier beta's. No master volume slider and volume on system tray is always showing muted at each reboot

Rgds Mike
EeePC901
same problem as above.
EeePC 900a

gerry

#19 Post by gerry »

The 2.6.25.16 kernel works fine.

Puppy 4.3.1 ignores existing pupsave files for other versions (ie 4.1.2), so "upgrade", whether intentional or accidental, is not possible. Bug??

Gerry

dawg

#20 Post by dawg »

gerry wrote:Puppy 4.3.1 ignores existing pupsave files for other versions (ie 4.1.2), so "upgrade", whether intentional or accidental, is not possible. Bug??
It's the underscore in the older save file name, I think Puppy will grab it if you rename it, but maybe keep a backup copy of it, just in case it screwes it up :D