Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 02:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
N-O-W HIRING – WIKI EDITORS ! ! !
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
puppyite

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2009, 17:39    Post subject:  N-O-W HIRING – WIKI EDITORS ! ! !  

NOW HIRING – WIKI EDITORS

THESE ARE ENTRY LEVEL POSITIONS. NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED!

FREE TRAINING AVAILABLE FROM EXPERT WIKI ARTICLE CODER & ADMINISTRATOR:
I will personally assist anyone who has questions about any aspect of the wiki. Just send me a PM via this forum and I’ll be there Johnny-On-The-Spot to assist you! Very Happy

APPLICANT QUALIFICATIONS:
  • Knowledge of Puppy Linux OS.
  • Good to excellent writing skills.
  • Must be able to write or rewrite articles so that average computer users can make sense of them.
  • Ability to author original articles not required.
  • Must be a team player.

Many articles at the wiki are in desperate need of rewriting or elimination of excessive and confusing verbiage. Shocked

HOURS:
Flexible, name your own!

RATE OF PAY:
Satisfaction in knowing you helped legions of people better understand and enjoy Puppy Linux plus the personal satisfaction that comes from a job well done! These are uncompensated positions. I.E. No money.

ALL APPLICTIONS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY ACCEPTED! Very Happy

HOW TO APPLY:
Send an email to Raffy with your desired password and username. Read these instructions about how to apply.

While you’re reading this people are wandering the wiki right now trying to make sense of what they see there. They need your help. You can make a difference!

Read more about why the wiki needs your help right now!

NOTICE: Due to the flood of registrations at the wiki automatic registration was suspended on 10/17/09 at approximately 2:00PM CST. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Registration will still be accomplished by email via Raffy as described above.

Last edited by puppyite on Fri 23 Oct 2009, 16:18; edited 5 times in total
sinc

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2009, 18:36    Post subject:  

I will be applying later tonight. After my wife goes to sleep Very Happy . I am glad to be able to give back.
raffy

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2009, 20:00    Post subject: best wishes  

(For the record, Puppyite made this invitation before I added my post at the link given in the original post. I saw his post only now.)

My best wishes to all...

As I will be unusually busy for the next two days, am enabling self-registration at the wikka wiki. EDIT: Nope, it doesn't work - there are now 330 registered users, and it is increasing by the minute, with email addresses name1_name2@gmail.com, certainly a pattern of spam. I have restored the "email raffy m n AT y aho o DOT c o m" instruction. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited by raffy on Sat 17 Oct 2009, 16:13; edited 1 time in total
sinc

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2009, 20:24    Post subject:  

alright puppyite...

I registered. I have never edited any wiki pages before and you promised to hold my hand through the first part.

Where would you like me to start looking? Very Happy

And also from raffy,
Quote:
To all -- you may say that Puppyite is a bit arrogant (in some parts of what he posted above)

I didn't read the link until now, it wasn't exactly happy-go-lucky was it?
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2009, 20:36    Post subject:  

Quote:
self-registration will be allowed for the next two days (hmm, let us give it up to the end of October, OK

Good news Raffy Smile
Thanks Sinc Smile

Good news for those wishing to put back something into Puppy.

As well as updating and improving existing pages, many of which were created several years ago you will find source material:

On this forum

The old wiki
http://pupweb.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxMainPage

The Drupal site
http://www.puppylinux.org/home

puppyite

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2009, 23:28    Post subject:  NEW WIKI EDITORS SHOULD READ THE FOLLOWING ! ! !  

NEW WIKI EDITORS SHOULD READ THE FOLLOWING:

First you must understand how to navigate the wiki. The Categories page is the heart of the wiki navigation system. From there you select a category of interest. On the category page you selected you will see a list of all pages that belong to that category. Note: Some editors have neglected to add their pages to a category therefore they are not listed on any category page, this is an error that needs correcting.

To see a list of every page on the wiki visit the PageIndex.

Read the wiki users guide carefully and be sure to bookmark it: UsingThisWiki Note: This page has a field you may use to create new wiki pages. If you create a page and later wish to delete it contact an administrator and ask them to delete it for you.

Login to the wiki with your username and password.

Visit the SandBox. Make any kind of experimental edits there you feel like. Try all of the available tools in the composition (aka editor) window. Preview your edits frequently. Save your changes frequently and then view the results repeatedly. Examine the page history to get an understanding of how edits are notated. You should also revert some edits to see how that effects you work.

Create a list of wiki pages you feel need editing. Start with small changes and then work your way up from there. Changes may be made incrementally. Edits need not be large in order to improve an article’s readability or clarity. Repair any spelling or grammatical errors you may find. Wiki pages may be edited an infinite number of times so don’t feel as if you must make them perfect the first time. If you are in doubt about how to make a complex edit then copy any or all of the page and paste it into the SandBox and try your edit there until you are confident about how to proceed. If necessary you could also save a page to your hard drive and place it in the SandBox another day for further refinement.

Articles that utilize simple language will benefit a wider audience and thus achieve a greater level of success in accomplishing the wiki’s mission. Avoid the temptation to display your technical prowess. Your first concern should always be utilizing language that will benefit the wiki visitor.

Wiki visitors should make use of comments to call attention to errors or state how articles can be improved. Editors may also use comments to communicate their opinions about the wiki. Note: The RecentlyCommented page contains a chromoligical list of every comment made on the wiki. View this page to see dialog about wiki pages.

To see important news and announcements about the wiki please be sure to view the Wiki Home Page whenever you visit.

New: See the new hotness at the WikiStyleGuide!

Good luck and thank you for your valuable service to the Puppy Linux Community. Working together we can help all who need our assistance!

Last edited by puppyite on Mon 26 Oct 2009, 12:45; edited 3 times in total
puppyite

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct 2009, 17:24    Post subject:  

sinc wrote:
alright puppyite...

I registered. I have never edited any wiki pages before and you promised to hold my hand through the first part.

Where would you like me to start looking? Very Happy

I sent you a PM.

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: