Will C-Media 8738SX 6 ch sound card work with Puppy?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.

Will C-Media 8738SX 6 ch sound card work with Puppy?

#1 Post by Guest »

hi to all...

first i woud like to say i'm very happy with puppy! it is excellent, easy and it's opened me world of Linux...

now my question...
i have puppy on old recycled computer, celeron 366mhz / 64mb ram and i decide to plug in some sound card for listening mp3 files. i try old iso card but it is not working and i'm beginner in linux, so i decide to by some new sound card. of course i don't won't to give lot of money so i find this card fo 10 euro - C-Media 8738SX 6 ch (link)

my question is: will this card work file with puppy? will i need advanced skills to install it, or just plug and play? in case it won't work, can u tell me some sound card that will match with puppy?

tnx for help...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Singer Puppy 1.0.8, is all going well, moving from the OSS to ALSA sound system. We should have better and more support for a greater variety of sound cards

These are the cards currently known to work with Puppy as of version 1.0.7

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SoundCardsWorking

Hope that helps :)
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 30 Jan 2006, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jmarsden

#3 Post by jmarsden »

Lobster wrote:Puppy Singer (Puppy 1.0.8)
An interesting new version numbering system? I recommend turning off smilies to see that this is really 1.0.8 . Using the preview button also helps avoid accidents like this.

Jonathan

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

I personally use ALSA, but if Puppy's existing OSS drivers support your card ... go ahead and use them.
Your driver is cmpci. Run "lsmod" to see if Puppy has automatically loaded it. If not, try to load it manually - "modprobe cmpci".

There's also a good chance your old ISA sound card would work with OSS drivers, too.

chombila

#5 Post by chombila »

tnx all for suggestions...

i solve my problem with inserting old iso sound card and runing "modprobe sb", but now i have problem with freezing my computer...

when i run xmms and firefox together with some mp3 files playing, my computer is working for 5-10min, and then when i try to switch programs system get frozen...

whats could be problem: firefox? xmms? old sound card? will i repair something with ALSA?

tnx greate people... :)

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

So far I've had no success with ISA sound cards. They have a distinct advantage - many incorporate a small amplifier which is adequate to drive a pair of hi fi speakers in a small room to give outstanding quality if not volume.