Canon MP620 **SOLVED**

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rgs

Canon MP620 **SOLVED**

#1 Post by rgs »

I have a Canon MP620 wireless printer that I was able to use with Puppy 4.21 frugal on three laptops thanks to a pet created by Muggins.
Now that I have replaced 4.21 with ttuuxxx"s puppies 4.31.1 I can not get the printer to work. I installed the pet and it has no missing dependencies. CUPS shows the driver choice and I am able to install the printer. When I try to print a test page, nothing prints.

A windows shared printer via samba works fine.

Having just read the thread re plankenstein's canon ip2600, with all of the things he tried, laughing with sympathy when he said his head hurt and that at one point he did not know what he was doing, I was ready to give up until I had more time and patience. Then at the end, with all that Patriot did, the success they achieved, and plankenstein's positive attitude about Puppy and the pleasure of learning, I can't quit!

I just hope I can learn fast enough to respond to any questions. Right now I would not be able to do some of the things, like zip an error log, or some of the other things that may as well be written in Greek for me to understand.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I just noticed that the puppy 4.21 has CUPS 1.3.10, and puppies 4.31.1 has CUPS 1.1.23.
Last edited by rgs on Fri 09 Oct 2009, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

I'm wondering whether you've encountered the problem that Patriot talks about in Plankenstein's thread, with a newer version of cups? It might be worth sending Patriot a pm with your details.

The only other thing that would prevent it working would be missing libraries, or library symlinks. Have you tried running the binaries on the commandline, to see whether there are any errors? They are cifmp610, cngpij, cngpijmonmp610, lgmonmp610 & printuimp610.

Patriot

#3 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@muggins

Was the mp620 bjnp compiled with cups1123 or cups1310? The bnjp tcp backend has CUPS version dependent codes. It has some macros specifically for CUPS < 1.3 and CUPS >= 1.3 (cups 1.4 is supported) ... You may want to prepare two versions of the bjnp backend.

If you're also interested with the usb backend bug fixes, please pm me for details. (I still need a bit of time to verify all v2.50 to v3.00 differences - WIP).

Update: I've read through the docs once more and it seems bjnp is only supported on CUPS 1.2 and 1.3 .....

@rgs
The mp620 drivers is based on canon mp610 v2.80 driver set. It has the backend cnij_usb bug. This only affects you if you're printing directly through the usb port on CUPS v1.3.x but should work on previous cups v1.1.x. The bjnp backend is not affected by this bug.

If muggins originally compiled the mp620 pet with cups 1.3.x then you will need to upgrade your CUPS to 1.3.x (I suggest cups 1.3.11) to use the same bjnp network backend or you can kindly ask muggins to have it compiled with cups 1.1.23 .....

If you also need usb printing on any cups versions then please give me some time to prepare a preliminary driver set.

Update: It seems that for bjnp to work, you need CUPS 1.2 or CUPS 1.3 ... if that's the case then upgrading CUPS is your only solution ...

@all
Quick note for canon wireless printer owners, the bjnp is required should you want to print through the network. The protocol used by canon printers for network printing is non standard.

Rgds

rgs

#4 Post by rgs »

Thanks for the quick replys!
I noticed that ttuuxxx said in his description of changes he made to get firefox working with his 4.31.1 puppy version, he had to edit the cups-shell so that it would work with Firefox. I wonder if upgrading cups to 1.3.10 would cause a problem with firefox. I will ask him on his Puppies 4.31.1 Puppy linux 4.30 Plus fixes and FireFox 3.5.3 thread.
Thanks again

Patriot

#5 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Well, you can also experiment safely yourself :

1. Boot puppy using the LiveCD -or- pfix=ram
2. Install cups-1.3.11
3. Install the mp620 driver that you have
4. Configure your printer and make a test print
5. Ignore making the savefile if it borks out

Rgds

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

The .pet I uploaded would have been based on v1.1.23. rgs let me know if installing
cups 1.3.11 doesn't work & i'll cobble up a new version to work with it.

rgs

#7 Post by rgs »

I'm trying :?

@Patriot

I went to cups.org/software.php to download 1.3.11. It showed two choices; source.tar.gz and source.tar bz2. Which of these should I choose?

When I download it, can you tell me what to do with it? Like how to install it. Do I need to uninstall the present cups 1.1.23 first?
Thank you

@Muggins

I have not heard anything yet from ttuuxxx re the changes he made to cups to get it to work with firefox, So I am going to try, with the kind assistance of you guys, to play around with this and see if I can learn something.

You said that the .pet you uploaded was based on v1.1.23. It works with cups v1.3.10, but not with v1.1.23.

It took me so long to get my wife's puppy 4.21 to print, with finally your help, I don't dare do something to screw it up. She loves her puppy, as I too do, but she occasionally has a problem with something minor. So I had hoped this new 4.31.1 would keep her happy. I always do my best to keep her happy; my efforts have paid off with 48 years of wedded bliss celebrated today. :)
Thanks again

rgs

#8 Post by rgs »

I think I found the problem! :oops:

When I boot from the live cd, cups v1.3.10 is installed and the printer works.

When I boot from the frugal install, cups v1.1.23 is installed and it will not print.

I will play around with it and reinstall if necessary.

I'll come back and tell you what I did.

Sorry for the trouble
Thanks for the help

Patriot

#9 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
rgs wrote:It showed two choices; source.tar.gz and source.tar bz2. Which of these should I choose? ........
Either one if you intend to compile them yourself ... If you want to know more about compiling, there's some notes here.

If you just want to get a ready made CUPS 1.3.11 pet package, get it here. There's one ready made for you to try. As usual, I would suggest booting puppy 430 LiveCD with pfix=ram to test the new CUPS installation ...

rgs wrote:........ So I had hoped this new 4.31.1 would keep her happy. I always do my best to keep her happy; my efforts have paid off with 48 years of wedded bliss celebrated today. :)
Thanks again
Happy 48th anniversary !

Rgds

rgs

#10 Post by rgs »

Thanks for the kind words Patriot!

Well, working with this cups problem, I found myself often talking to myself, saying Hmmmmmm!

I tried everything I could; booted from live cd pfix=ram, downloaded and tried everything suggested. No Luck!

Then, while running on live cd, I tried the print manager again, expecting to see V1.3.10, as I saw last night. Now it shows v1.1.23! Where did v1.3.10 go?

So, I downloaded a fresh iso of puppy 4.31.1, burned a cd and tried again. Same; no cups version 1.3.10, just 1.1.23

Then I tried a live cd of Barry's 4.3. Same result; no version 1.3.10, just 1.1.23.

Then I reformatted the sda2 partition where puppy was installed and tried again. Still no version 1.3.10. Next I deleted the partition and reformatted it. I thought all puppy stuff would be gone! Reinstalled puppy and kept going.

Next I opened the printer manager and lo and behold, there was cups v1.3.10 looking at me. I was able then to click on "administration" and "find new printers". It found my wireless printer and I installed it.
The test page printed fine!

I had to shut down for a while, and when I came back and booted up, I opened the pinter manager again and saw it was back to cups v1.1.23.
When I clicked on "printers", it showed my two printers, the wireless one and a windows shared one that I was surprised to see; I had previously installed it, before reformatting, so I do not understand how it stayed installed.

Now, when cups v1.1.23 is open and the printers are shown, if I click on either of them, cups v1.3.10 opens!

Both printers now work, but this cups versions flopping back and forth is driving me nuts.

Any idea on why this is happening? Hell, I guess I can live with it since the printers work. :wink:

Patriot

#11 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
rgs wrote: ........ Then, while running on live cd, I tried the print manager again, expecting to see V1.3.10, as I saw last night. Now it shows v1.1.23! Where did v1.3.10 go?
I see confusion for unfamiliar puppy users ..... Just to set the record straight (a little bit of history here):

1. Most puppy versions up-to and including puppy412 uses CUPS 1.1.x
2. Puppy420 uses CUPS 1.4 beta2
3. Puppy421 uses stable CUPS 1.3.10
4. Puppy430 reverted to CUPS 1.1.23

Puppy4.2 series was coordinated by WhoDo and he had CUPS upgraded. In the latest Puppy4.30, BarryK resumed command but he decided not to go with the CUPS upgrade, thus reverted to CUPS 1.1.23 ...

I've first experimented with CUPS 1.3.x and 1.4beta back in January as I needed several features and functions only supported in these series. The first few experiments was a crash-and-burn experience. (Basically cups 1.4beta series was having many difficulties and I know we'll just have to let it grow up a little bit more ... cups 1.3 series are the stable versions)

Took me nearly a month to understand roughly half of CUPS details ... There were thousands of lines of codes and I was banging my head at times (yes, I'm lame with C programming) ... Some good did came out of it as many moons later, we now have a good stable CUPS of the latest 1.3.x series ... I was later asked to provide a working cups-1.3.10 (the only cups package I did for puppy4.2 series). It has since proven to be quite solid and resolved many basic issues ...

The problems that I'm seeing right now is mostly external and by that, I mean users are having problems with driver sets and their dependencies. This is unavoidable since puppy does not have a real full-time printer support group (one with all the hardware and gizmos to test each and every driver).

I do believe that the situation is now improving with the renewed community support provided by members such as rcrsn51, muggins, lluamco, disciple, etc, etc (you know who you are!) with testing and packaging of various driver sets .....

rgs wrote: ........ Now, when cups v1.1.23 is open and the printers are shown, if I click on either of them, cups v1.3.10 opens!

Both printers now work, but this cups versions flopping back and forth is driving me nuts.
To confirm which version of CUPS is actually running, open a terminal:

# cups-config --version

The mix-up of the cups web interface could be due to left-over web templates ... This may happen at times when cups is upgraded incorrectly or something borked during the upgrade ...

To fix the web templates issue, you may want to try manually removing them and reinstall the cups package again. The suggested steps:

1. Delete /usr/share/doc/cups-1.1.23 folder and contents
2. Remove /usr/share/doc/cups symlink, if it exists
3. Re-install your cups-1.3.x package

Since you have encountered some issues with pfix=ram, then I suggest making test runs with a small save file (64MB/128MB) ... I understand that you would want a full hdd installs ... but this is where a save file will be most useful, to make test installs ... If it works, you can re-trace your steps ... If it borks, you can delete the save file and starts anew ...

Rgds

rgs

#12 Post by rgs »

Thanks for all of that valuable info.

My past and present status;

I had one wireless router, 4 wireless laptops, one wired desktop, a wired printer connected to the desktop pc, and a wireless printer.

All computers were running Puppy 4.21 frugal. All could connect to either printer. All could share files and folders with each other. All have static ip #s.

Now, staying with just the router, printers and two laptops;

Computer "A" has puppy 4.21 and cups v1.3.10. IP=192.168.2.7
Computer "B" now has puppy 4.31.1 and cups v1.1.23. ip=192.168.2.5

If only computer "B" is running, cups v1.1.23 runs and I cannot add the wireless printer.

When both computers are running, computer "B" opens cups 1.1.23. When I click on "printers", the list of installed printers shows. Both printers on "B" show the address as "on 192.168.2.7". That is the ip for the other computer. When I click on one of the printers, cups v1.3.10 opens. If I delete one of the printers from "B", it also deletes the same one on "A". If "A" is not running, I cannot delete a printer from "B". It says it cannot connect.

I don't know why this is happening. "B" is not set up for any file sharing. How it connects to "A", I can't imagine.

Patriot said;
Update: I've read through the docs once more and it seems bjnp is only supported on CUPS 1.2 and 1.3 .....

Muggins said;
The .pet I uploaded would have been based on v1.1.23. rgs let me know if installing cups 1.3.11 doesn't work & i'll cobble up a new version to work with it.

Muggins .pet works fine on the computers that have cups v1.3.10.

I'll try again to replace cups v1.1.23 with 1.3.11.
It will have to wait for a few days as I have been spending so much time on this my other chores are being neglected and need my attention.
Thanks again for all the help.

Patriot

#13 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Ah, now that's better ..... a more complete info of the systems setup environment ... that explains a lot ...

Computer "B" is accessing the printer(s) shared by CUPS 1.3.10 on computer "A" ..... Yes, CUPS can publish printers for sharing and that's being used by computer "B" ... So, this is how the printing "data path" looks like:

computer "B" --> computer "A" --> printer

If this is acceptable to you, you need not upgrade cups ... but computer "A" needs to be up-and-running for your printing needs ...

If you intend to connect directly to the wireless printer (assuming its the mp620) then yes, you will need to upgrade CUPS on computer "B" ...

Rgds

rgs

#14 Post by rgs »

I downloaded cups 1.3.11 stable release modular pet from Patriots March 22, 2009 post "cups and related software".

It shows as cups-1.3.11_i486 in the package manager. There are no missing shared libraries and no missing dependent packages shown.

The information on the post says;
"This pet has a specially designed installer that provides a modular install from a single pet. See sample screen shot.

I can not find that installer.

Will you please advise me as to how to properly proceed to upgrade cups from v1.1.23 to v1.3.11?

As always,
Thank you again

rgs

#15 Post by rgs »

Patriot, I still need some of your guidance in upgrading cups. Please read my previous post.

Patriot

#16 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

My apologies ..... for the next week or so, my web connectivity (and thus my presence) will be rather limited. I have determined that my devices are all in good order. Our ISP is still unable to solve my connectivity issues and their technicians are also somewhat perplexed.

Ok, I'll try to be brief and to the point:
rgs wrote: ..... It shows as cups-1.3.11_i486 in the package manager.
Unless Pet Package Manager borks the installation, when you say that you have cups-1.3.11 already shown in the PPM then that would mean cups-1311 is already installed.

To confirm, cups-1311 is installed do in a terminal:
# cups-config --version
rgs wrote:........ I can not find that installer.

Will you please advise me as to how to properly proceed to upgrade cups from v1.1.23 to v1.3.11? .........
I'm sorry, you lost me there .... Could you kindly explain what happened ? After you have downloaded the cups-1311 pet, you did click on the pet and did it display the setup window? I've already done basic cups-1311 setup tests on p430 and it works normally as it did on previous puppy versions ... If there's any problem there, I'd like to know how to reproduce ...

If you did get the setup window, the selected defaults should work just fine ... For a feel good effect, a reboot can help ... After cups-1311 have been installed, to get wireless printing, remove the printer in question and add it in again. Also, ensure that no other computer is running cups shares (or just turn them off for a while) ... Your wireless printer should have a uri similar to this: bjnp://192.168.2.x:8611 (the x will indicate actual printer ip address) .....

Rgds

rgs

#17 Post by rgs »

Patriot, Thank you so much for not abandoning me as a lost cause, as I had expected.
I hope you get your connectivity issue resolved soon. With all of the time you are online helping people, you are probably wearing everything out :(

Here are my latest attempts:

1. checked the cups version by typing # cups-config --version in a terminal. It showed 1.1.23.

2. uninstalled cups 1.3.11-i486 in the package manager.

3. went to Patriot post "common unix printing system v 1.3.11.

4. downloaded modular pet cups 1.3.11 stable release.

5. a window opens -"data file host". cups- 1.3.11-i486. download-click here. I clicked on it.

6. firefox window opened; "opening cups-1.3.11-i486 .pet". Open with Petget. clicked on OK.

7. puppy package manager opens ; "click 'ok' button to confirm that you wish to install this package. cups-1.3.11-i486.pet. I clicked on "OK".

8. package manager window opened. "the following package has been sucessfuly installed: package; cups-1.3.11-i486 category;none --note, this package does not have a menu entry. I clicked on "OK".

9. Then I typed #cups-config -- version in a terminal and it showed 1.1.23.

10. rebooted, and tried again; same result, 1.1.23.

11. tried again by downloading to a save file instead of using petget. When I click on the package it opens package manager and installs it.

12. A final check with package manager confirms that it is installed.
After you have downloaded the cups-1311 pet, you did click on the pet and did it display the setup window?
I do not understand how to "click on the pet and display the setup window." If by setup window you refer to the item on your download page "This pet has a specially designed installer that provides a modular install from a single pet. See sample screen shot.", I have not seen it anywhere except on your page with the download.

I also did not uninstall cups 1.1.23 yet. Is it necessary to do that first? If so can you please tell me what needs to uninstalled?

Patriot

#18 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

It seems that I've borked the post install script ... there's one tiny curly bracket left dangling in the script that breaks the installation ...

rgs, my apologies ... I must have inadvertently uploaded the incorrect cups package, again ... The CUPS package have been updated with the correct package now ...

If you could kindly download the cups package just one more time and I suggest selecting the option "Save it to disk" when prompted by your browser ... Once download is completed, just click on the cups-1.3.11-i486.pet package and the pet package manager will install it automatically. This also allows you to have a copy of the package for future use ...

Again, I apologize for the borked CUPS package and also for being unable to reply sooner. I've been in web limbo for nearly a week now and hopefully my lines will be back up soon ... I'll monitor your progress and will reply as soon as possible ,,,

Rgds

rgs

#19 Post by rgs »

Dear Patriot

Thank you for your kind assistance, patience and dedication.
I can now print! You solved it!

Also, so far I have seen no problems with Firefox or anything else. Everything seems to work as before.

My thanks also to Muggins, and Ttuuxxx, for their help.

Sincerely grateful,
RGS

Patriot

#20 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Good to know that you can now print through the wireless connectivity ... I'm just glad to be able to help ...

Thank you for having the patience to go through the troubleshooting process. It took a wee bit while longer than I thought it should but I'm glad that we're able to resolve this ...

Rgds