Boadcom 440 on a Dell Inspiron 9100 conected to a RCA cable

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
enriquegovea

Boadcom 440 on a Dell Inspiron 9100 conected to a RCA cable

#1 Post by enriquegovea »

Ok, I have a Boadcom 440 on a Dell Inspiron 9100 conected to a RCA cable modem DCM305R. I can see on the lan wizard that the dirver for my card is loaded but gives me the message THE CORD IS UNPLUG. On my modem, there is not indication of comunication with the computer. Help please

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

EDIT: These modules are only for Puppy 1.0.4-1.0.9

As I reported in an earlier post, there is a Linux driver for the BCM4400 series on Broadcom's website which is better than the standard b44 driver. I just compiled it.

It would normally be located in /lib/modules/2.4.29/net/ but this location is not persistent.
I have recently learned that you should be able to put it somewhere in /usr/lib/modules, say /usr/lib/modules/net, and at each bootup the system will copy it across to /lib/modules/...

First make sure that the old module is unloaded, "rmmod b44" then load the new module, "modprobe bcm4400"

While I was at the Broadcom site I also downloaded the latest BCM57xx series driver. I could not compile this module (tg3.o) successfully, but I see that Vector Linux has it, so I attach it for anyone having trouble with the older bcm5700 module.
Attachments
bcm4400.o.gz
(20.13 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
tg3.o.gz
(31.05 KiB) Downloaded 441 times