Eee Atom CPU control - testing

Using applications, configuring, problems
rhadon

#121 Post by rhadon »

@ 01micko

Sorry Mick, your 3 button GUI doesn't work for me. As I posted here, at Powersave mode I get the small message 'setting mode to Powersave' but nothing happens (tested with 'cat /proc/eee/fsb' , always '100 24 1' ) and at Normal mode the system freezes. With

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/cpufv
I always get 512. Perhaps this has something to do with it?

~ Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

01micko

#122 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm, Thanks Rolf, ok so you must need the 2 button gui.

Version 5 will be soon. (sorry about that)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#123 Post by 01micko »

Ok testers,

Here is 0.5
Changelog
-changed "OK" button to close
-added a splash which shows up for a few seconds letting the user know something is happening
-reverted the pinstall script to detect "Celeron"and will install the appropriate invoking script to /usr/bin

To Do
-fix detection of 701SD (done 11Oct2009)

SEE newer post
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

mawebb88

eee-cpucontrol-0.5.pet

#124 Post by mawebb88 »

Just got back from a hol so catching up with this topic.

I unstalled any previous eee-cpucontrol and installed eee-cpucontrol-0.5.pet (is this for both the Atom and Cerelon?)

Looks good to me. But I have a problem with the fan control. I am trying to run the fan speed at 60 and the gui reports this a 60 but

cat /proc/eee/fan_speed
always give 40 as the answer.

BTW I have installed the other required eee specials i.e.
xbacklight-1.1
eee-0.2-k2.6.30.5
acpid-1.0.10-Eee

Rgds Mike

EDIT: just tried echo 150 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1 and that is reflected when I do cat /proc/eee/fan_speed giving 58

another test 200 gives 78

01micko

#125 Post by 01micko »

Testers,

I've made a minor update to the post install script which detects the specific case of a 701SD. For that case the Atom GUI is installed. For all other Celerons the Celeron gui is installed. For all Atoms the Atom gui is installed.

For newcomers, the Celeron gui has 2 radio buttons and the Atom gui has 3 radio buttons.

This will overwrite V's 0.1 to 0.5, but it is good practice to uninstall old versions.

Cheers and thanks.
Attachments
eee-cpucontrol-0.6.pet
(12.86 KiB) Downloaded 1100 times

rhadon

#126 Post by rhadon »

@01micko

works as expected with 2 buttons :D

@ mawebb88

changing fan speed takes only effect by rebooting or temp goes lower than min. temp in GUI than higher. Maybe that's the problem?

Btw. if I change the value in /proc/eee/fanspeed and save, than fan speed changes directly. Maybe such a command can be integrated in the GUI? Just a thought without much knowledge :oops:

~ Rolf

jemimah

#127 Post by jemimah »

So I wasted several hours trying to get the eee module working on my custom kernel before I tried your module with the standard kernel. Turns out, the eee module just doesn't work on the 1005ha and possibly other 10inch eees. You may want to consider using a newer module called asus_eee that has some error checking and doesn't crash the kernel when calls to i2c fail.

Read about the problem here: http://forum.eeebuntu.org/viewtopic.php ... 91&start=0

mawebb88

Eee Atom CPU control - testing

#128 Post by mawebb88 »

rhadon wrote:@01micko

works as expected with 2 buttons :D

@ mawebb88

changing fan speed takes only effect by rebooting or temp goes lower than min. temp in GUI than higher. Maybe that's the problem?

Could be but using echo x /sys/class/hwmon/pmw1 changes the speed immediately. Mike

Btw. if I change the value in /proc/eee/fanspeed and save, than fan speed changes directly. Maybe such a command can be integrated in the GUI? Just a thought without much knowledge :oops:

~ Rolf

rhadon

#129 Post by rhadon »

mawebb88 wrote:but using echo x /sys/class/hwmon/pmw1 changes the speed immediately. Mike
Yes, but as you told, you doesn't get the same values in /proc/eee/fan_speed (should be between 0-100).
~ Rolf

tempestuous

#130 Post by tempestuous »

As a postscript to this exercise, it's worth explaining the final outcome:

- Celeron-based Eee models, except the 701SD, use the third party eee kernel module to control CPU speed and fan speed.

- Atom-based Eee models plus the 701SD use the standard eeepc-laptop kernel module to control the CPU speed.
The eee module is still used to control fan speed ... but only because Dougal's fan control daemon was written that way.
Since fan control on Atom-based models doesn't actually require the eee module, it would be an elegant solution to rewrite Dougal's fan control daemon in this situation to use these mechanisms (enabled by the eeepc-laptop module) instead:
to set manual fan speed control

echo 1 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1_enable
to adjust fan speed control

echo x > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1
where x is a value between 0 (fan off) to 255 (full speed, 12V).
to read CPU temperature

cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ00/temperature

01micko

#131 Post by 01micko »

Hmmmm,

I guess I could have a go at that, looking for a little side project so I will start work soon.

Cheers

jemimah

#132 Post by jemimah »

I was doing a little research because I'm having problems with this stuff on Puppeee. I found a problem with your normalclock script.

#! /bin/sh
echo 95 24 1 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo 90 24 1 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo 85 24 1 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo 80 24 1 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo 75 24 1 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo 70 24 1 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo "FSB to 70MHz"
It needs one more line at the end:

#! /bin/sh
echo 95 24 1 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo 90 24 1 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo 85 24 1 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo 80 24 1 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo 75 24 1 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo 70 24 1 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo 70 24 0 > /proc/eee/fsb
echo "FSB to 70MHz"
Otherwise it never drops the voltage back to the powersaving level that the EEE boots up with, and the computer stays lap-cooking hot.

Frank Cox

Best Laptop for Puppy

#133 Post by Frank Cox »

If you were buying a new laptop what processor works best with Puppy/

jemimah

#134 Post by jemimah »

Are you asking about the Eee in particular, or in general? I'm going to assume the former.

If you are shopping for an Eee, you'll find Atom processors have a lot more in the way of power-saving features. Celerons don't have frequency scaling, and it's hit or miss whether changing the front side bus speed will cause crashes or not.

What you should also be asking, is which graphics card and network card works best on Puppy.

Any Eee 10 inches or smaller can use the i915 graphics driver which works fine on Puppy unless you want OpenGL acceleration - the default Xorg_Full package for 4.3.1 crashes on the Eee. I've fixed it in Puppeee however, by upgrading Mesa to a newer version.

What you really want to avoid is the 1101HA with the Intel GMA500 (Poulso) chip. From what I read getting that card to work at all on Linux takes serious dedication. Some of the very latest models of Eee have Nvidia or Ati graphics cards, which I'm unsure how well supported they are. But as a general rule, you should avoid buying hardware that's too new, or you will have to wait for the Linux kernel to catch up which means it could take many months before Linux distros will work correctly out of the box.

About network cards.

Celeron-based Eees (except the 701SD) use the ath5k driver. This driver works well on Puppy. The 701SD needs the rtl8187se driver, which also works, except it may crash if you use the hotkey to toggle the wireless. I don't think it had this problem on kernel 2.6.30, but it does on 2.6.31.

Most Atom-based Eees use either the ath9k or the rt2860sta driver. Ath9k is a more stable and problem-free driver, though rt2860sta works fairly well on kernel 2.6.31. Rt2860sta has problems under 2.6.30, especially with wpa connections.

If you're confused by now, consult this handy chart.
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Models

If you want a specific recommendation, I'd say go with an 1005HA. They're very popular, well designed, and they've been out for long enough to be have good Linux support. It does need a driver fix for the ethernet on kernel 2.6.30, but the proprietary driver does work correctly.

If you're in the US, don't buy from BestBuy, as the ones they sell have special substandard batteries.

Frank Cox

Confused

#135 Post by Frank Cox »

jemimah wrote:Are you asking about the Eee in particular, or in general? I'm going to assume the former.
Hi Jeremiah:

I was asked to recommend and set up puppy on a laptop by a doctor I sell insurance to . He is only interested in the net so puppy will take care of all his needs. I am not sure what you mean by the numbers {1005HA.} you recommended but I will look at the list and choose one from there. The oldest machine still on the market will be plenty fast for his purposes.
It would be nice if it was wireless friendly .
It has been a long time since I shopped for laptops and assume the eees are the notebook machines. If he wants a bigger laptop do you still recommend the atom processor? I always have preferred AMD over Intel.

Thanks

I

jemimah

#136 Post by jemimah »

Well if any laptop will do, you may not even want a netbook at all. I only assumed you wanted to know about EeePcs since this thread is about EeePCs. There's a very active thread about laptops in general here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51474

If battery life is your priority, then the Atom is probably your best option. However, it is under powered for cpu-intensive things like compiling, video encoding, etc....

Frank Cox

Netbooks

#137 Post by Frank Cox »

I am not sure what he will want but I was somewhat interested in the netbooks myself.
Thanks