Empty Crust RC is up.

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Pizzasgood

Empty Crust RC is up.

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

Last night I "finished" my tweaking with Empty Crust. I forgot to remove a couple small utilities (I had removed them before, but screwed something up and reverted to a backup and forgot to take them back out), but they don't really matter. I'll take them out of the real deal before I upload it. The rc can be found in
ftp://puppyfiles.us/pub/releases/pizzasgood/

In that directory is the iso, the md5 sum, and a list of packages I removed. 93 of them. Gotta congratulate Barry on how small Puppy's packages are. I mean, I removed 93 packages, and the iso only lost 15 megabytes. I could have dropped another five by eliminating Xorg, but I figure it's needed. Some people can't even get into X without it, and it's only a 5MB difference.

The only additions are
Mo-Betta Wallpaper-Setta
A nicer icon or two
Different wallpaper (the final will have a small, tileable one that I'm going to make soon)
sp107
Dillo con tabs

I also removed a couple non-package things that were unneccissary. Such as all the other wallpapers, some test documents, etc. I left most of the sound files because some programs use them, but they aren't in the package. I did remove the ivy.mp3 and maybe some other ones, but the stuff that goes "OKAY!" and such is still there.

Sound libraries are gone too, just so you know. I did wind up keeping tcl and the cd burning stuff. If anyone is opposed, let me know. Tcl is probably there to stay, as it's integrated into a lot of the little system scripts, like MUT, KP, and several dialup programs. I nearly had to flip a coin for the cd stuff, but I figure the main reason to get a barebones it to remaster, in which case it would be dumb to have to download them. If someone thinks the size would be worth it, just speak up. I'm right in the middle, so it will be easy to sway me.
Either way, Graveman is gone. The "Burniso2cd" script is there, and the commandline tools are still there.

Leafpad is the default text editor. MP and vi are also availible for commandline use.

It uses pupMINI as the pupfile.

I think that's all that's important. Test away! Complain! Make suggestions!

I'm going to go eat breakfast now, even though it's 11:11 my time. Hey, it's a Saturday.
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Sat 28 Jan 2006, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

babbs

#2 Post by babbs »

Heads up for those looking for this exciting package, the download speeds from pizzasgood's site are really slow right now (as I type this its approx 11 - 12 kb/sec over a highspeed connection - dropped to 9 kb/sec towards end of transfer).

Hopefully, download speeds from puppyfiles.us will be a bit better.

Babbs

Editted to reflect transfer status (done) - See post below for location.
Last edited by babbs on Sat 28 Jan 2006, 18:33, edited 2 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

:) I could not wait Babbs - only 1 minute to go and then I will burn that Empty Crust

Thanks for mirroring will make a difference - I should do a wiki news item but am too excited - ah well . . . maybe later -

Well done to Pizzasgood :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

babbs

#4 Post by babbs »

Ok, so the transfer to the FTP server took a bit longer than I had hoped, but Empty Crust is now there!

You can find EmptyCrust107 at:
ftp://puppyfiles.us/pub/releases/pizzasgood/

Lobster
Official Crustacean

New Pup downloaded and working!

#5 Post by Lobster »

8)

Am posting from Dillo in RC Empty Crust

I was hoping for a screen shot - but it has been removed as an option- hey this is empty crust - I think there was a way of doing this from the web but I digress . . .

First it works
- Hooray!
use Babbs link as it will be quicker to download from

It is frugal (that is the idea - nice to see Leafpad as the default and no games (not gonna miss that)

I would miss graveman (I use re-recordable CD's and need to blank them)

For dialup users this is a great way to join the Puppy family :)
Test away! Complain! Make suggestions!
I would suggest Dillo use white as a default background rather than brown - this means images that tend to use white as a background will display in a more pleasing way . . .
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 28 Jan 2006, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

I edited my post to link to Babb's server instead. I also added the news.

I'm pretty sure Graveman is just a frontend to the commandline tools, so there should be a way to use them to blank a cd. Maybe I should do some surfing, find it, and add it to burniso2cd.

As for Dillo's color choice, I have no idea how to change that. I'll take a look, though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yep, I was right. And it's far easier than I thought too!
To rewrite (erase and write over) a CD-RW disk, put blank=fast in the string of options to the cdrecord command.
Later today I'll modify burniso2cd with that option.

I also found the config file for Dillo (/root/.dillo/dillorc) and the bookmarks file, so I took care of the colors and added a couple bookmarks.

MU

#8 Post by MU »

Here is another mirror (230 kb/second):

http://dotpups.de/isos/

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

I would miss graveman (I use re-recordable CD's and need to blank them)
type:

cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc -blank=fast

or

cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc -blank=all

assuming your burner is /dev/hdc

i usually burn data cds from the command line anyway ... i pipe mkisofs to cdrecord so that it doesn't require temp space for a tempory iso file

mkisofs -R -joliet-long -relaxed-filenames -T /tmp/burn/ | cdrecord -tao -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc speed=2 -data -overburn fs=16m driveropts=burnfree -eject -

of course, you can put this in a script

costal martignier

#10 Post by costal martignier »

it is possible that you removed some usbstuff?

all my usbsticks normaly working fine with the "real" puppy aren't working with crust puppy :(

i would use crust puppy to create my custom puppys
any hints

regards
costal

costal martignier

#11 Post by costal martignier »

ok sorry,

only needed to

modprobe usb-storage

but do you have changed something in the hardwaredetection, or the boot up process..
normaly this module get loaded automagicaly in puppy

regards
costal

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

GuestToo wrote: cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc -blank=fast
or
cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdc -blank=all
assuming your burner is /dev/hdc
Many thanks - I think there is a plan to incorporate this into 1.0.8 and Puppy2 - checks and blanks (for BurnIso2CD)
I did hear mention of it . . .?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

#13 Post by Guest »

could you please tell me how to run it using what they call ""poor man's install"" but i don't want to install just run it using grub for dos or linld.i tried all the methods posted related to doing that and all resulted in kernel panic
here is my grub.menu.lst

Code: Select all

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/grub/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 vga=790
initrd=/boot/grub/image.gz
BTW is there somewhere i can get it on a business card 8cm ,it would for sure be practical than having it on pen drive which not all machine can boot from and the regular cd too bulky to carry.

Pizzasgood

#14 Post by Pizzasgood »

but do you have changed something in the hardwaredetection, or the boot up process..
normaly this module get loaded automagicaly in puppy
Actually, the standard Puppy (or at least mine) is like that too. If you use MUT, it will run it even if you don't mount anything. But if you try mounting with a fresh boot, it won't work.
Many thanks - I think there is a plan to incorporate this into 1.0.8 and Puppy2 - checks and blanks (for BurnIso2CD)
I did hear mention of it . . .?
I too heard something like that a while back.
could you please tell me how to run it using what they call ""poor man's install"" but i don't want to install just run it using grub for dos or linld.i tried all the methods posted related to doing that and all resulted in kernel panic
here is my grub.menu.lst
Ummm, maybe you need to add another parameter? Like

ramdisk_size=16194
Or something similar. Otherwise I don't know. I haven't used Grub. But I'm pretty sure the number "16194" needs to be added with this. A standard Puppy doesn't need one, but if the size changes it needs the new size passed in so it can tell how big it is.

Ted Dog

poor man GRUB

#15 Post by Ted Dog »

here is mine:

title  RAM 107
kernel /107/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PSLEEP=999 PHOME=hda3 PKEYS=us PFILE=pup100-none-262144 max_loop=64
initrd /107/image.gz
/107/vmlinuz = subdirectory I use to keep versions of kernel apart
root=/dev/ram0 = correct loading area ( for poor man only)
PSLEEP=999 = keep in all in RAM and write back at shutdown ( I have 512M much faster )
PHOME=hda3 = storage / squash
PFILE=pup100-none-262144
very optional:
PKEYS=us
max_loop=64 ( not usable in BKs stock kernel 2.6 & udev only)

initrd /107/image.gz = subdierctory for unique default boot area

more in wiki.

Leon

#16 Post by Leon »

1. Solving problems at booting Empty Crust from Win98SE using Grub

I was increasing the number of ramdisk_size step by step and found this ramdisk_size to boot properly:

root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=16169

Here is my menu.lst:

default 0
timeout 0
title Puppy-1.0.7e
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=16169 PFILE=pupMINI-none-262144
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/image.gz
boot

2. Dillo

I like a view when menu, navigation buttons and address bar are placed in one single row to increase the space for displayed web contents. With double click somewhere inside the window it is also possible to hide/show menu and status bar.

Here are some /root/.dillo/dillorc settings:

panel_size=TINY
small_icons=YES
fullwindow_start=NO

Here is my /root/.dillo/dillorc:

geometry=640x550
use_dicache=NO
vw_fontname=helvetica
fw_fontname=courier
show_tooltip=YES
limit_text_width=NO
home=http://www.dillo.org/
bg_color=white
text_color=black
link_color=blue
force_my_colors=NO
force_visited_color=YES
panel_size=TINY
small_icons=YES
fullwindow_start=NO
transient_dialogs=NO
enterpress_forces_submit=YES
generate_submit=NO

Here is another example and some explanations of dillorc:
http://tao.uab.es/cgi-bin/archzoom.cgi/ ... c?annotate

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Empty Crust RC is up.

#17 Post by Lobster »

Pizzasgood wrote: It uses pupMINI as the pupfile.
Weird - I tried to delete pupMINI - after 2 minutes of frenzied disk activity it was still there? (should take a few seconds at most) Any reason you might know of? It seems like extreme fragmentation - possiibly? The deleting was using up all my CPU power so restarted jwm and then restarted xorg.

Is Empty Crust a compulsory OS :wink:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

PeterSieg

emptycrust id great!

#18 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi, just test drove ecp107. looks great! nice background! good work!

Thanks, PS
Have fun :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

Hey guys,
If you want a very nice surprise with Dillo, start it like this:

# LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libgdkxft.so dillo

bombayrockers

#20 Post by bombayrockers »

gdkxft is not safe as it is an abandoned project. It crashes gtk2 based apps. I have had my fair share of crashes when trying to get xft running for gtk1.