Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 02:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 4.3 Final -- bug reports and suggestions
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 18 of 21 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Next
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct 2009, 05:41    Post_subject: Good news
Sub_title: lap dogs working

Yesterday connected a friends Dell to his new modem router by wireless
That is lap dog one
Lap dog 2 is my Dell Inspiron 3500 pentium II
also connected wirelessly without too much trouble

Thanks to Tempestuous and others who work tirelessly for
us Wi-fi enabled Puppys.
Thanks Guys Smile

kjoe

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct 2009, 15:23    Post_subject: Remaster puppy bug  

Hello,
This is a bug reminder with regard to the next release but also a request to anybody who can help me fix the bug causing remasterpup2 script to stop in Puppy 4.30, which I've described here

Thanks

kjoe

Edited Oct 10, 2009: Barry K. has just announced in his blog that he has found the bug that caused the Remaster CD script to crash if there are two optical drives. So this will be fixed in the 4.31 release. Thank you Barry!

kjoe

Edited_time_total
Ledster

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct 2009, 17:18    Post_subject:
Sub_title: Acer Aspire One bug

First of all - a great guide to building puppy with woof from Iguleder!
Ran through it using puppy 4.3 (2.6.30.5 kernel) and built one with the 2.6.29.6
kernel, and it worked first time.
Now for why I did it. I have an Acer Aspire One on which I run upup alpha 9 from a usb stick
and it works fine. Had to put pciehp:pciehp_force=1 into the addlist section of
/etc/rc.d/modulesconfig to make the sd card slots work, and I can now boot up and
insert cards as and when required. Try the same with puppy 4.3 and the card(s)
must be in the slot(s) whenever I boot or they are not recognised (once booted you
can take them out and put them in at any time). So I wondered if this was anything
to do with the kernel version and built puppy with the same version as upup
(almost! 2.6.29.6 instead of upup's 2.6.29.4).
Made no difference.
So my question is, what difference is there between upup and puppy 4.x causing this?
If it is a simple config change I could probably cope (I am fairly new to linux, though).
It's one of those really annoying little things that I would love to fix.
Anyone any ideas?

Ledster
gersen

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct 2009, 18:13    Post_subject: Joystick problems  

Can't get puppy 4.3 to recognise my usb joystick. Tried modprobe joydev which fixed it on lighthouse puppy, but doesn't work here.
Strange thing is games running under wine see the joystick just fine, but X-plane which runs natively cant see it.
Running jstest /dev/input/js0 just returns "no such device"
The system is seeing it though, unplugging and replugging the joystick gives me this in /var/log :

Oct 8 22:39:19 (none) user.info kernel: usb 2-6.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
Oct 8 22:39:19 (none) user.info kernel: usb 2-6.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Oct 8 22:39:19 (none) user.info kernel: input: Saitek Saitek X52 Flight Control System as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-6/2-6.3/2-6.3:1.0/input/input8
Oct 8 22:39:19 (none) user.info kernel: generic-usb 0003:06A3:075C.0005: input: USB HID v1.11 Joystick [Saitek Saitek X52 Flight Control System] on usb-0000:00:1d.7-6.3/input0

Is this a bug or am I missing something, advice appreciated ?

Regards
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct 2009, 19:36    Post_subject: New pmodemdiag utility to assist users with modem issues
Sub_title: Collects files and pupscan data into a tarball for attachment

Puppy 4.3's expanded dialup and wireless modem coverage may generate many requests for assistance for particular cases. Rather than repeat the various instructions to send several files, compressed into a tarball (which is all a mystery to n00bs) I have created a script to collect everything I can think of that I might need to understand their situations.

This tool requires a small modification to PupScan, to run it "silently" to create the PCI and USB hardware-and-driver files and exit without presenting the dialog. Here are the differences in the pupscan script:
Code:
6a7
> #v431 rerwin: Add --silent option to only generate files, without display.
7a9
> [ "`echo $@ | grep ' *--silent *'`" != "" ] && SILENT=true || SILENT=false #v431
24c26
< [ ! -f /lib/modules/$KERNVER/modules.pcimap ] && load_zdrv #func in functions4puppy4
---
> #[ ! -f /lib/modules/$KERNVER/modules.pcimap ] && load_zdrv #func in functions4puppy4
272c274
< RETSTRING="`echo "$MAINDIALOG" | gtkdialog2 --stdin`"
---
> [ $SILENT != true ] && RETSTRING="`echo "$MAINDIALOG" | gtkdialog2 --stdin`" #v431

Barry, please accept the updated pupscan for 4.3.1, but the utility, pmodemdiag, could merely be added to the repository for user download as needed. (Or maybe it belongs somewhere else.) The dotpet places the script in the home (/root) directory, similar to where scanModem would go. It is intended to be run from a console, so the user gets feedback, but I find that clicking its icon also runs the tool silently; the user has to know where the tarball ends up (/root).

The instruction to a user would be to install the dotpet, in a console type:
./pmodemdiag
and attach the tarball to a posting or PM to the helper.

BTW: The saved version of the wvdial.conf file has the usernames, passwords, and PIN codes replaced by "X"es, to protect privacy.

UPDATE 10/13/09: Changed version to more standard format and added collection of a pgprs-option file, for comparison to what wvdial produces. Added prevention of overwriting an earlier tarball with same name as new one. (This would be "-3" under the old versioning numbers.)
Richard
pmodemdiag-1.0.pet
Description  Gathers diagnostic information for troubleshooting dialup/wireless modem problems.
To run, in a console type: ./pmodemdiag
Find the pmodemdiag-20....tar.gz in /root and send it for analysis.
pet

Download 
Filename  pmodemdiag-1.0.pet 
Filesize  1.06 KB 
Downloaded  690 Time(s) 
pupscan_update_to_P430-1.pet
Description  Adds option to run without displaying the dialog, for use by pmodemdiag.
pet

Download 
Filename  pupscan_update_to_P430-1.pet 
Filesize  3.55 KB 
Downloaded  449 Time(s) 

Edited_times_total
panzerpuppy

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct 2009, 08:38    Post_subject:  

@gersen: try 'modprobe joydev' AND 'modprobe analog'
zygo

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct 2009, 09:13    Post_subject: remaster doesn't copy everything it should  

Running the full iso on a live cd - 2GB RAM, no hdd.

I remastered but the new cd did not have my rox preferences. I selected to include customisations for that pc when given the choice by the script.
gersen

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct 2009, 10:57    Post_subject:  

panzerpuppy, thanks for the advice, didn't help unfortunately.

I've had some luck though, as a long shot I grabbed some old usb joysticks I had and what do you know they all worked with just joydev loaded:

Logitech Extreme 3d Pro, Saitek ST290 and even a Thrustmaster joypad.

Now I have to figure out why the Saitek X52 doesn't. Its the device I use all the time on X-plane.

Regards.

Edit
Just googled for X52 + kernel 2.6.30, turns out there's a bug in 2.6.30 which prevents recognition of the X52.

joydev: blacklist digitizers avoids recognition of Saitek X52
This bug is related to a bad commit to joydev which now blacklists x52
joysticks.(d07a9cba6be5c0e947afc1014b5a62182a86f1f1)

Guess I'll have to wait on next kernel Smile

Edited_time_total
rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct 2009, 15:21    Post_subject: Lucent modem firmware out of date - fallback driver
Sub_title: Firmware does not match latest ltmodem driver. Add backup Lucent driver

I successfully compiled and tested the latest Lucent (kernel-resident) modem driver, but withheld it because it supports the same hardware IDs as the "user-space" Lucent-Agere driver, dev_martian. However, for cases where the martian_dev driver fails to support a Lucent modem, ltmodem could be a fallback. I attach separate dotpets for the firmware update and for the driver itself.

I feel that the firmware update should be included in the bugfix, since the existing firmware would not work with the now-current (ltmodem) driver. The device name has changed to ttySV0 and the old ltserial module no longer exists, necessitating changes to the firmware and files firmware.dep.2.6.30.6, MODULESCONFIG, and 60-dialup-modem.rules. (See the pinstall.sh script.)

I also feel that the driver should NOT be included in Puppy 4.3.1, but should be added to the repository, for users to install as a "last resort" to getting a Lucent/Agere modem working.
Richard

NOTE: As it stands, the firmware dotpet retains the old blacklisting of ltserial-now-ltmodem. That was done to allow the preferred driver, martian_dev, to be loaded, since both drivers were present in Puppy. This is appropriate if Barry were to include ltmodem in 4.3. But for users installing the dotpet, they also must un-blacklist ltmodem in BootManager, as well as then "probe-Erasing" the ttySM0 device selection (in PupDial) and rebooting. If Barry leaves the driver dotpet for the user to install from the repository, I would suggest that the blacklisting be removed (from MODULESCONFIG). That way, the driver dotpet would "just work" when installed.

UPDATE 10/10/09: I have now attached a better version of the firmware update (-2) that eliminates the need to un-blacklist the driver. This is consistent with my recommendation to provide the driver only as a downloadable package and to not build the driver into the Puppy distros.
Richard
ltmodem_firmware_update_to_P430-2.pet
Description  Ltmodem firmware replacement for puppy 4.3.1+.
This version omits the blacklisting of ltmodem, so that user merely installs it,
then erases the ttySM0 device and reboots to see new device, ttySV0.
Appropriate if driver is provided only as installable pack
pet

Download 
Filename  ltmodem_firmware_update_to_P430-2.pet 
Filesize  1.53 KB 
Downloaded  440 Time(s) 
ltmodem-20090420-k2.6.30.5.pet
Description  Older Lucent modem driver, as fallback for martian_dev driver.
Intended for the repository, not for inclusion in Puppy itself.
pet

Download 
Filename  ltmodem-20090420-k2.6.30.5.pet 
Filesize  215.59 KB 
Downloaded  420 Time(s) 
ltmodem_firmware_update_to_P430-1.pet
Description  Ltmodem firmware replacement for puppy 4.3.1+.
This version requires user to un-blacklist ltmodem.
Appropriate only if the driver gets built inot Puppy (unlikely).
pet

Download 
Filename  ltmodem_firmware_update_to_P430-1.pet 
Filesize  1.53 KB 
Downloaded  412 Time(s) 

Edited_time_total
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct 2009, 02:46    Post_subject:  

I have set up an issue tracker on google code for versions 4.4+ and am looking for some volunteers who follows this thread and the bugs forum in general to enter issues into the tracker. (also has project hosting if you are working on any puppy projects or if you would like to be a package maintainer for your favorite programs and keep them up to date)
EZ4arabs

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct 2009, 04:55    Post_subject: Re: Lucent modem firmware out of date - fallback driver
Sub_title: Firmware does not match latest ltmodem driver. Add backup Lucent driver

rerwin wrote:
I successfully compiled and tested the latest Lucent (kernel-resident) modem driver........
Richard

Thank you Sir.
puttingau

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct 2009, 05:06    Post_subject: Abiword
Sub_title: Spell check add word does not persist

When you added a word in the spell check in previous versions, that word would be OK in the spell check when the document was next opened. This is not happening in 4.3.
The file that held the added words in 4.2 was /root/.config/enchant/.en_AU.dic (or en_US.dic). Does any one know what file is applicable (if any) in puppy 4.3?
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct 2009, 07:22    Post_subject:  

Regarding he Lucent driver: EZ4arabs reports too me that his Thinkpad R22 with that driver finds the Lucent modem as ttyS4! That is interesting news and is probably related to the new standard driver, martian_dev's, inability to support it correctly. This is a new development, to me. My Lucent PCI modem gets ttySV0, which is what I expect from what I have read. So, be prepared for this surprise, if you need the driver.
Richard

Further thoughts about this development: My guess is that the Lucent driver refused to support EZ4arabs' modem, but blocked martian_dev from loading. Probing in pupdial then finds the serial modem. I would think we would get the same effect by leaving out the Lucent driver and blacklisting martian_dev (in BootManager). If that works, I can probably make a rule to disable martian_dev for this particular modem.

EZ4arabs, could you test this idea? Simply boot a fresh puppy (pfix=ram), Go into BootManager and blacklist martian_dev, "probe-ERASE" in pupdial, reboot. I would expect no modem to be detected. Then probe for the modem in pupdial. If this works, it will lead to an elegant solution to your problem. Thanks.
Richard

Edited_time_total
zygo

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct 2009, 09:38    Post_subject:  

rerwin,

Running the full iso (pup-430.iso) on a live cd - 256MB RAM, no hdd.

Thanks, your modem compilations work fine with my pci conexant modem - vendor: 14f1 device: 2f00 using module hsfpcibasic2. Wvdial reports connection at impossibly fast speeds but it actually connects at the same speed as my 3com external - c.40kb/s.

I'm trying to remaster a slimmer iso. What's the minimum I would need from zp430305.sfs for my modem?
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct 2009, 10:21    Post_subject:  

zygo,
I am in a rush now, but this should be all you need:
/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/hsfmodem/
/lib/modules/all-firmware/hsfmodem.tar.gz
Richard
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 18 of 21 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum