Eee Atom CPU control - testing

Using applications, configuring, problems
tempestuous

#81 Post by tempestuous »

rhadon wrote:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/eee/fsb
Yes, I always did since I started reading this thread
Rolf, are you saying that your CPU is truly running at 900MHz at bootup, as reported by

cat /proc/eee/fsb
?
Or that the CPU is running at its default 630MHz, but the gui reports 900MHz?

tempestuous

#82 Post by tempestuous »

01micko wrote:When I "cat /proc/eee/fsb" it returns "30 15 0"
As dawnsboy reported on page 4 of this thread, there's an updated version of the Celeron processor which runs at a higher FSB speed of 400MHz.
I think that the "eee" kernel module only supports the older Celerons with 70/100MHz FSB speed. So reading/writing /proc/eee/fsb will only work with these older Celerons.

It appears that new Celerons work by reading/writing to /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/cpufv
same as Atom CPU's.

01micko, does your "cat /proc/cpuinfo" report "... Celeron M 353 ..."?
I can only search the web for this information, but it seems that "353" indicates the new Celeron.
If true, your post-install script will need to enable the eeecontrol-atom script for Atoms and "353" Celerons, and enable the eeecontrol-cel only for non-"353" Celerons.

01micko

#83 Post by 01micko »

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 13
model name	: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor          900MHz
stepping	: 8
cpu MHz		: 897.647
cache size	: 512 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx up bts
bogomips	: 1795.29
clflush size	: 64
power management:
I can't see it... Perhaps rhadon could post the out put of "cat /proc/cpuinfo" so I can compare and draft a reasonable command to differentiate the two. Perhaps other Celeron owners could try this too.

Cheers

(I'm posting from a different install now, until I sort out my little issue, It doesn't seem to affect the speed of the machine at all. I will have to do some benchmarking with the Atom commands on this machine to see if there are differences. The alternative is to offer the 2 separate pets triggered by the same command. That command will just work differently)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tempestuous

#84 Post by tempestuous »

01micko wrote:

model name   : Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor          900MHz
Oh dear.
It seems that the appropriate FSB adjustment command for various Eee models with Celerons cannot easily be determined.

I now suspect that different bios versions may have a major impact on this issue.

prehistoric

details of Atom settings

#85 Post by prehistoric »

I'm also wondering exactly what change is taking place on the Atom processor when we change the settings. When I put it in 'powersave' mode, I get the number 770 back to confirm this, as I posted above. It is possible to change both fsb frequency and multiplier to get essentially the same processor speed, at least for programs small enough to stay in cache.

I'm familiar with tweaking fsb, multiplier and voltage on older processors, though I admit the codes for doing so are not things I keep in my head. I got this information from overclockers although I was mainly interested in underclocking. I haven't noticed people overclocking netbooks. It sounds like a bad idea.

There is no /proc/eee directory for my Atom installation. Is there another way to discover the details of processor clock, voltage and fsb setting?

Off-topic:

My (prehistoric) memory brought forth a rhyme from the cold war era.
To smash the mighty Atom, all mankind was intent,
and now, it seems the Atom means to return the compliment.

01micko

#86 Post by 01micko »

Hi prehistoric

You can poke around in /sys/devices/platform/eepc directory and see what you come up with. For monitoring look in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0.

Cheers

tempestuous

#87 Post by tempestuous »

prehistoric wrote:There is no /proc/eee directory for my Atom installation.
The /proc/eee directory should appear once you have installed and loaded the "eee" kernel module, from -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 452#346452
... but for Atom-based Eee's this is only useful for fanspeed control.

For CPU FSB control Atom models require the eeepc-laptop module, which creates files in /sys/devices/platform/eeepc
as explained on the first page of this thread.

dawnsboy

#88 Post by dawnsboy »

@tempestuous

The chipset in the Eeepc 701SD is in fact the Intel Celeron M 353. The cpu on these models defaults to 900MHz. The 701SD cannot be "overclocked" using the methods and software available to users of the older 701's however it appears that the 701SD outperforms the 701 out of the box anyway.

Users on the forum at eeeuser.com report that they have been unsuccessful in overclocking it with the exception of those who have tried the Super Hybrid Engine (701SD apparently came with it installed) report being able to adjust clock speeds to 630MHz (underclock), 900MHz (default) and 960MHz (overclock).

rhadon

#89 Post by rhadon »

tempestuous wrote:Rolf, are you saying that your CPU is truly running at 900MHz at bootup, as reported by Code:

cat /proc/eee/fsb
?
YES, everytime at bootup I get

# cat /proc/eee/fsb
100 24 1
During session I can change the speed with Mick's GUI to

# cat /proc/eee/fsb
70 24 1
but after reboot I get

100 24 1
again. Really.

@ Mick
If it's still of interest:

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 13
model name      : Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor          900MHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 900.137
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx up bts
bogomips        : 1800.27
clflush size    : 64
power management:

I hope you can solve that problem.

~ Rolf

Edit: Mick, if you have solved your problem and you can laugh again: Hey, my CPU runs faster than yours :lol:
Last edited by rhadon on Wed 07 Oct 2009, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

prehistoric

kernel modules and stack trace on boot

#90 Post by prehistoric »

@tempestuous,

O.K., bear with me here. I've been through the sequence of installs described in that post of yours before. I got a fault and stack trace during boot. Just tried again. Attached are the boot kernel and boot sysinit logs from the boot following that. The fan control script complains that the proc/eee directory does not exist.

One tantalizing note is the statement about the number of options for CPU throttling.
ACPI: Processor [P001] (supports 8 throttling states)
Attachments
bootlogs.gz
bootkernel.log and bootsysinit.log gzipped together after installing eee-0.2-k2.6.30.5.pet, xbacklite-1.1.pet and acpid-1.0.10-Eee.pet and rebooting on an ASUS eeePC 900A with 1.6 GHz Atom N270 processor
(6 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

jemimah

#91 Post by jemimah »

eeecontrol .3 now works for me. I think it would be helpful to somehow specify that this isn't changing the cpu frequency scaling algorithm but rather the fsb speed. Setting it to powersave seems to save about a Watt on my machine. Might be nice to have the tool change both the fsb and the scaling algorithm in the same window.

01micko

#92 Post by 01micko »

rhadon wrote:
Edit: Mick, if you have solved your problem and you can laugh again: Hey, my CPU runs faster than yours :lol:
:lol: a whole 2.49MHz! But that just may be the key I need Rolf. Because they are different I can differentiate. Thankyou

Jemimah, thanks for your report.

I'm not out of the woods yet though. Celeron owners, especially 700, 701 owners: I need your output from

#cat /proc/eee/fsb
and

#cat /proc/cpuinfo 
The first command must be run immediately after you have booted

Going by Rolf's results there maybe 4 cases to cater for, if not more.

(Atom, Celeron in Eee 900, 701, 701SD)

Thanks in anticipation.
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 07 Oct 2009, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

rhadon

#93 Post by rhadon »

:D MHz Mick, Millions of Hz :D
Although I write this with a big smile I don't mean it serious. :wink:

~ Rollf

01micko

#94 Post by 01micko »

Atom testers,

On the first page of this thread mawebb88 and hokal reported that their Atoms, without any outside help, ie before we started playing with commands to alter the fsb, that their result of running "cat /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/cpufv" were "768". From that, we deduce that the Atoms start from boot in Performance mode. I'd like to see some tests after the gui is installed and the fsb altered to see if the Atoms still boot in Performance mode by default . I suspect this will be the case.

Help please :)

01micko

#95 Post by 01micko »

rhadon wrote::D MHz Mick, Millions of Hz :D
Although I write this with a big smile I don't mean it serious. :wink:

~ Rollf
Thanks Rolf! :oops: :lol: (edited post)

01micko

#96 Post by 01micko »

Made a Eee-widget for Pwidgets. See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 837#348837

Cheers
Attachments
eee-widget.png
(29.07 KiB) Downloaded 1016 times

tempestuous

#97 Post by tempestuous »

dawnsboy wrote:The chipset in the Eeepc 701SD is in fact the Intel Celeron M 353. The cpu on these models defaults to 900MHz.
Thanks dawnsboy,
That explain's why rhadon's Eee 900 (Celeron M 353) is at 900 MHz at bootup.
dawnsboy wrote:Users on the forum at eeeuser.com report that they have been unsuccessful in overclocking it with the exception of those who have tried the Super Hybrid Engine (701SD apparently came with it installed) report being able to adjust clock speeds to 630MHz (underclock), 900MHz (default) and 960MHz (overclock).
OK, this confirms that the new 353-Celerons definitely should not be using the "/proc/eee/fsb" method for CPU FSB control.
They should be using the "/sys/devices/platform/eeepc/cpufv" method which is, in fact, SHE (Super Hybrid Engine) control.

Just to be clear here:
rhadon's Eee 900 and 01micko's Eee 701SD both have the new "353"-Celeron.
In theory, the Atom gui is the correct one for them. It uses the /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/cpufv
file for FSB speed.

The question remains: how do we differentiate between the two Celerons to help install the correct gui?

tempestuous

#98 Post by tempestuous »

... OK, I just Googled for the output of "cat /proc/cpuinfo" of an Eee 700 (with older Celeron).
We already know that "model name" is the same as the faster Celeron
... but I see a difference:
"stepping : 6"
whereas the 353-Celeron has "stepping : 8"

Of course, Puppy users with older Celerons need to confirm this.

01micko

#99 Post by 01micko »

As soon as we can confirm the output from

#cat /proc/cpuinfo
for an older Celeron a new gui will be ready.

A little strange the 2.49MHZ difference between rhadon's and my results but I guess voltages would be slightly different, different draws of current for different hardware and different power supplies.

tempestuous

#100 Post by tempestuous »

prehistoric wrote:The fan control script complains that the proc/eee directory does not exist.
First check that the eee module is installed -

modinfo eee
If you see no result, go and install eee-0.2-k2.6.30.5.pet again. Be aware that I revised this dotpet on Oct 4 to include the depmod-FULL command at post-installation.

If/when you do see the eee module reported, next check that it's loaded -

lsmod
If it's not loaded, go ahead and do so -

modprobe eee
... but check /etc/rc.d/rc.local to see a "modprobe eee" entry, because all gui dotpets in this thread should create that line. It ensures that the eee module loads at bootup.