??

Booting, installing, newbie
IsntThatAmusing

??

#1 Post by IsntThatAmusing »

??
Last edited by IsntThatAmusing on Wed 30 Apr 2014, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

IsntThatAmusing

#2 Post by IsntThatAmusing »

Anyone?

IsntThatAmusing

??

#3 Post by IsntThatAmusing »

??
Last edited by IsntThatAmusing on Wed 30 Apr 2014, 00:59, edited 2 times in total.

IsntThatAmusing

??

#4 Post by IsntThatAmusing »

??
Last edited by IsntThatAmusing on Wed 30 Apr 2014, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

nickdobrinich

truecrypt 6.2a

#5 Post by nickdobrinich »

Well, here's something, not exactly useful.
When I followed your advice and unchecked Preferences > System Integration > Kernel Services > Do NOT use
truecrypt finally opened the volume after I chose slot 10.
I'm not using any key files.
Now we're getting somewhere, I thought.

By looking at the properties of slot 10, I saw it was connected to virtual device /dev/loop2 and that it was using mount directory /mnt/truecrypt10 (because I had chosen the 10th slot).

Copying a file to /mnt/truecrypt10 worked but it was not encrypted in any way once I dismounted the volume. However, that directory WAS empty after I rebooted and I could reopen the volume and get the file back, again from /mnt/truecrypt10

Of note, it appears that the truecrypt service does keep running in the background even after being told not to and exiting completely from the program.

Strange.

IsntThatAmusing

#6 Post by IsntThatAmusing »

??
Last edited by IsntThatAmusing on Wed 30 Apr 2014, 01:00, edited 2 times in total.

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Off the top of my head, no. But I did play around with this a couple years ago and had it working. If you search the forum enough, you might be able to turn up some posts from the 2.x and 3.x days where people like JohnDoe, PaulBx1, and kirk were monkeying around with this sort of thing.

I just got a new harddrive earlier this week, and I intend to look at setting up encrypted partitions and stuff sometime in the near future. So when I do I'll let you know anything I figure out.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

IsntThatAmusing

#8 Post by IsntThatAmusing »

??
Last edited by IsntThatAmusing on Wed 30 Apr 2014, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'll try this weekend.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

I got the same results. Not sure what's wrong. AFAIKS Puppy's kernel does have the crypto stuff enabled. Anyway, telling truecrypt to not use the kernel's routines should not weaken/disable the actual encryption, it just means that truecrypt itself will have to handle it rather than letting the kernel do it, thus the performance hit they mention. I doubt it's a very significant difference unless you're doing a lot of rapid file access within the volume (for example, installing an entire OS inside of one).

Maybe try asking Wolf Pup to see what his experiences are:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26712

Here is a small patch to have it use rox by default, and to drop those two extra options.

Code: Select all

diff -Nur truecrypt-6.3-source.orig/Main/UserInterface.cpp truecrypt-6.3-source/Main/UserInterface.cpp
--- truecrypt-6.3-source.orig/Main/UserInterface.cpp	2009-10-21 09:11:12.000000000 -0400
+++ truecrypt-6.3-source/Main/UserInterface.cpp	2009-10-25 17:57:24.000000000 -0400
@@ -813,12 +813,12 @@

if (desktop == L"GNOME" || desktop.empty())
 		{
-			args.push_back ("--no-default-window");
-			args.push_back ("--no-desktop");
+			//args.push_back ("--no-default-window");
+			//args.push_back ("--no-desktop");
 			args.push_back (string (path));
 			try
 			{
-				Process::Execute ("nautilus", args, 2000);
+				Process::Execute ("rox", args, 2000);
 			}
 			catch (TimeOut&) { }
 			catch (exception &e) { ShowError (e); }

also, it seems that every time I want to make truecrypt work, I have to do a "make install" of fuse every time I reboot and then do modprobe fuse. It won't allow me to just do modprobe fuse, I actually need to make install it fresh each time I reboot.
Eh? You shouldn't need to do anything at all with regard to fuse. I was going to check that it still worked after I rebooted but forgot. I'll go do that now. But it should work fine. (But if you went and recompiled fuse anyway, then I don't know what effects that could have. I believe Puppy uses fuse for the SFS handling and probably includes some fuse stuff in initrd.gz, so that may be where those issues came from.)
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 21:32, edited 2 times in total.

Pizzasgood

#11 Post by Pizzasgood »

Worked fine when I rebooted.

Also, about the not exiting thing - I didn't experience that either. Maybe you didn't dismount the volumes first, in which case it doesn't exit because it's still in use. Remember, it doesn't decrypt the volume and then mount it. It mounts the volume while it's still encrypted. When you request a file it goes in and decrypts that portion of data to return it to you. So even though you can look in /mnt/truecrypt1 and it looks like the volume is decrypted, it isn't.

That's why they say it provides "transparent on the fly decryption".

Once you dismount everything, it exits just fine.

Stingray

#12 Post by Stingray »

IsntThatAmusing wrote:now when i double click the volume it says it can't find nautilus! ugh. i made a script called nautilus in /usr/local/bin that does this:

rox $3
since truecrypt is calling
nautilus --no-default-window --no-desktop /mnt/truecrypt1

so that makes that work.
but i'd really like to know now how to get crypto services enabled in the kernel
and this is working ? you made a script called nautilus - and call this script from inside the script ? isnt this recursive and will start your script until all memory is eaten up ?

im my opinion you should have written :)

Code: Select all

rox $3