pWidgets 2.5.8

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
SelftaughtGeek

#2541 Post by SelftaughtGeek »

Thanks for the tips Mick and Zigbert
Managed to create a new system monitor pwidget that is starting to look how I want it

The Howto was useful Zigbert

I am enjoying Puppy

STG
Everything I know I found out for myself but only after some kind person pointed out the way.
I'm not really a Geek, just hate things that don't work

pankajnagarkoti70

#2542 Post by pankajnagarkoti70 »

Use the conky package linked in the main post. It includes xli.

01micko

#2543 Post by 01micko »

Jim1911 and others with weather issues.

just for now, in the weatherx config file, change the line "update_interval 15" to "update_interval 10" and it is a little more reliable.

What is happening is that on occasions the call to Accuweather fails resulting in a blank /tmp/weatherx (or /tmp/weather) file. So, conky has nothing to display so displays nothing. A re working of the scripts may be needed.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tasmod

#2544 Post by tasmod »

This latest version of Conky has its own weather command built in.

It's based on two pro sites, one of which is NOAA location.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

joel

Problem with weather, and other "live" widgets.

#2545 Post by joel »

My issue is that I am at graduate school in England. Over here the internet is limited, and since I have come here and been accessing the university's network, I have been unable to get the weather, rss, moon phase, or any other internet related widget to work. They don't show up at all. It seems as if the network is not allowing the widgets to access the net to update. I had a similar issue with stream tuner, however i enter the proxy the university gave me and it worked. I also have a similar problem when trying to install via the puppy package manager. When ever i try to get the package from the internet it just waits, and never connects. If it were as simple as typing in a proxy and port # like in stream tuner or a browser it would be ok, i assume. However there is no such option i know of. What do I do to get the weather working again? any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The internet is so regulated in Britain (or at least the school) that many things are forbidden.
I am not a Mac, not a PC... I am a Puppy. :idea:

01micko

#2546 Post by 01micko »

Joel

I don't know what we can do, maybe you could contact the lan admin to see if they can help or make a post in the user forum to see if someone knows what to do.

Sigmund

Birthday widget is coming along, maybe in a day or two. I have the gui and I am adding to it an Anniversary reminder too, important for us who have been married awhile!

Cheers

joel

#2547 Post by joel »

Just to clarify I did ask the IT people (knowledgeable as ever), and they did give give proxies for VOIP and the browser and such. The trouble is how do i translate those proxies (which worked) to pwidgets, and alternatively the pet get package manager (not that it applies here). Is there some config or script i can edit to allow it to work?

Jim1911

#2548 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Jim1911 and others with weather issues.
just for now, in the weatherx config file, change the line "update_interval 15" to "update_interval 10" and it is a little more reliable.
What is happening is that on occasions the call to Accuweather fails resulting in a blank /tmp/weatherx (or /tmp/weather) file. So, conky has nothing to display so displays nothing. A re working of the scripts may be needed.
Tried this and still have to periodically run Pwidgets from the menu to get the weather applet back. As you indicate, a re-working of the scripts may be needed.

Thanks to you and the team for these great little applets.
Jim

davids45

CPU+RAM widget? SMP CPU?

#2549 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
In some earlier pwidget versions, there was a combined CPU+RAM bars widget. Copying text from the old config to the latest CPU widget config seems to work. The combined bars seem sensible to me, so could the CPU+RAM be restored in the options?
Also earlier there was a multiple core CPU config hack/modification posted somewhere which I also now copy from old to new CPU configs.
Could I suggest a multiple core CPU widget as a listed option? Or a clever widget that works out for itself how many cores are present?
David S.

zigbert

#2550 Post by zigbert »

davids45
The latest Pwidgets has split 'cpu+ram' to cpu-bar and ram-bar. Use these 2 should give almost the same result.

Sigmund

tempestuous

#2551 Post by tempestuous »

Hello zigbert,
can Pwidgets (and conky?) be modified so that fan speed on ASUS Eee models can be displayed?
Forum member aarf reports that Pwidgets does not display the fan speed of the ASUS Eee -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 604#345604
even when the suitable "eee" kernel module has been loaded to expose control of the fan.
This kernel module is packaged with my Eee hotkeys dotpets here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 451#346451

Once the eee module is installed, the fan speed can be read with

Code: Select all

cat /proc/eee/fan_speed
in degrees Celsius, or

cat /proc/eee/fan_rpm
as revolutions per minute.

The "acpid" dotpet installs a fan control daemon as /usr/sbin/eee-fan-ctrl.sh
Since this daemon already controls the speed of the fan using this command

echo x > /proc/eee/fan_speed
maybe these commands could be piped to the Pwidget fan speed gui? This way, Pwidgets would not need to keep checking the fan speed, and any change in fan speed would be reflected in the gui immediately.

zigbert

#2552 Post by zigbert »

tempestuous
It should be doable.....
I'll put it on my todo list for the next release

tempestuous

#2553 Post by tempestuous »

Thanks zigbert.

tasmod

#2554 Post by tasmod »

Doesn't the Conky variable "acpifan" report it back?

Hmmm, odd. I distinctly remember a slough of variables for the eee being anounced with Conky 1.7 and now I can't see any on the pages. Seems like they have been removed.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

craftybear

#2555 Post by craftybear »

zigbert wrote:Version 2.1.0
See main post

This one is prepared for Puppy 4.3
Installed this on a clean frugal copy of 4.3 and in the Help>About it reports as 2.5.0 and the Calendar has a weird action in highlighting the current date - basically it gives a second instance of the date at the bottom right, with a leading zero e.g. 06 for today. Removed and installed 2.0.8 and problem is gone.

Did something get crossed up in the upload?
I CARE ... I just don't care about you!

omskates

No battery widget

#2556 Post by omskates »

My battery widget doesn't show up. Tried searching around for a post on it, hmmmm :? It worked before upgrade to 4.3

01micko

#2557 Post by 01micko »

craftybear wrote:
zigbert wrote:Version 2.1.0
See main post

This one is prepared for Puppy 4.3
Installed this on a clean frugal copy of 4.3 and in the Help>About it reports as 2.5.0 and the Calendar has a weird action in highlighting the current date - basically it gives a second instance of the date at the bottom right, with a leading zero e.g. 06 for today. Removed and installed 2.0.8 and problem is gone.

Did something get crossed up in the upload?
Crafty.. I still use 2.5 DEV version and I don't have your issue In 4.3 frugal. :?

zigbert

#2558 Post by zigbert »

craftybear
About-dialog shows 2.5.0:
You have probably earlier installed 2.5.0, and now 2.1.0. Since The version-check-function only checks for higher version-number, it fails here. Please edit /root/.pwidgets/pwidgetsrc - 2.5.0 --> 2.1.0

The calender widget is fixed for next release. It will work ok if today is 10-31. It only fails if today is 1 digit date. Only 3 days, and everything will work perfect :)

Sigmund

zigbert

#2559 Post by zigbert »

omskates
The battery widget is built to not show anything on systems where battery driver is not loaded. Technically it checks whether the file /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0 exist (or BAT1, BAT2).

Does it help if you execute in terminal:
modprobe battery

.... and then apply the battery widget once more.

Sigmund

omskates

#2560 Post by omskates »

zigbert wrote:omskates
The battery widget is built to not show anything on systems where battery driver is not loaded. Technically it checks whether the file /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0 exist (or BAT1, BAT2).

Does it help if you execute in terminal:
modprobe battery

.... and then apply the battery widget once more.

Sigmund
Negative on that attempt

The file /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0 exists and shows module present. JWM task bar shows battery info correctly. ACPI seems to work fine such as brightness keys, low battery beep, etc.

Tried modprobe battery and also modprobe -1 | grep acpi shows the modules including ac, battery, processor, thermal etc.