Puppy Arcade v5 - new files (29 Dec 2009)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
hypnobluez

ROMS - list of websites

#41 Post by hypnobluez »

hey guys, could you please post a list of websites with the top ROMs.

special THANKS!!! to sc0ttman for creating this unique puplet.

Makoto

#42 Post by Makoto »

Interestingly enough, a new version of Kega Fusion (a multiple was just released, this evening.
Fusion is a Sega SG1000, SC3000, Master System, Game Gear, Genesis/Megadrive, SVP, Pico, SegaCD/MegaCD and 32X emulator for Win9x/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Win7, Mac OSX/Intel, and Linux
It's a decent emulator, but would it possibly work for Arcade? The download's only 700KB or so (not counting the plugins).
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

sc0ttman

Re: ROMS - list of websites

#43 Post by sc0ttman »

hypnobluez wrote:hey guys, could you please post a list of websites with the top ROMs. Special THANKS!!! to sc0ttman for creating this unique puplet.
There is a list of good ROM sites on the first page.. For MAME, I recommend RomKeeper.. Rom-World has Roms listed by popularity, so you can find all the good games quickly.. Nice, nice.. :D
Makoto wrote:Are you including the Sega Master System/Game Gear? (tries to remember if Marat's 'MasterGear' emu did both...)... Interestingly enough, a new version of Kega Fusion (a multiple was just released, this evening.
Thanks for the Kega link.. MasterGear does do both, and is already included in Puppy Arcade, called 'sega' on the desktop, and it will be in the next version - unless Kega works well, then it's Kega instead.. :)
Last edited by sc0ttman on Tue 29 Sep 2009, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

sc0ttman

#44 Post by sc0ttman »

Anyone get .exe files working in Puppy WITHOUT WINE?? This is Kega Fusion, already compiled for linux, but it's still in .exe format!! I've attached the emulator, so if anyone can get this working, then please let me know how.. I've been unable to do anything with it... I just get a segmentation fault, saying:

Code: Select all

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0"
Thanks.

Makoto

#45 Post by Makoto »

I noticed that the binary in the archive had an .exe extension after I posted. :shock: Not sure why it does, yet, unless it was accidentally named with the .exe extension.

A couple of things I've noted:
1) It's not an actual Windows executable. It doesn't have the Windows executable header... in fact, it has what appears to be a UPX-compressed ELF header. It's also ~700KB as opposed to the ~2MB of the Windows version's EXE.

2) I tried renaming the file without the extension and seeing if it would run (and also with the .elf extension), but I didn't have any luck (and running either in the terminal only generated 'command not found' bash errors, for some reason...)

From the history.txt file:
This is the first (and maybe only?) Linux release - it includes everything

in the Mac build and is therefore pretty much feature complete already. I'm

only really doing this because certain people have asked for it... I don't

claim to be a "Linux guy" ;-)

OpenGL is required - hardware acceleration very much recommended, the

software solutions seem to be ridiculously slow. ALSA or OSS can be used

for sound. It uses a modified wxGTK for the GUI, and so should work fine on

most modern Linux distros. It was built under Fedora Core 6 (for Tomman).

Fusion.ini file can be found at ~/.Kega Fusion - and that's also where you

should place the Plugins folder.

ISO/MP3 support is via the seperate libmpg123. More info on how to get

this, and other things working can be found in the readme.

Anyway, I hope this is appreciated :-)

Snake.
Maybe someone should ask Steve about it, if we can't figure it out, by email or on the Kega forum. :(
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

sc0ttman

#46 Post by sc0ttman »

Makoto wrote:I tried renaming the [kega] file without the extension and seeing if it would run...
Yeah I tried that too, had no effect at all for me.. Also, I noticed in the readme you supplied, and then on the website, that OpenGL is required to play games with any decent speeds... This doesn't really fit the Puppy Linux ethos, so the emulators I choose need to run well on low end PCs..

Gens and MasterGear work well without OpenGL, using SDL.. This is much better for lower end machines. Any emulators that work well with SDL, even seem to work well on Xvesa.. Gens emulates SegaCD/MegaCD and 32X systems, with good compatibility, so we're not actually missing much if Kega is not included.

Makoto

#47 Post by Makoto »

Ah, okay. I'll give up on trying to run it for the time being, then. :)

hypnobluez

TREASURE

#48 Post by hypnobluez »

Thanks a MILLION for creating and sharing this treasure with us sc0ttman.
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Thanks for contributing Makoto.
YOU ROCK!!!

sc0ttman

Compiled Emulators and ROM Browsers

#49 Post by sc0ttman »

[UPDATE] ROM Launchers and Managers! :)

These are front-ends for multiple emulators, allowing you to centralize all of your emulator/ROM launching needs. They are open ended enough to allow the launching of most emulators (xmame, snes9x, xmess, vgb, uae, gens, etc, etc) from one place.

The PETs below can be added to any version of Puppy that has the dependency listed.

Requirements:

pLauncher (PERL), emuexec (PERL), glaunch (various), gromlist (Python,PyGTK), tuxarcade (PERL), lowemu (Python), rombrowser (Java)..

I have uncluded these rom loaders as .pet packages for anyone who has these dependencies installed :)

However, I have found a few ROM launchers that I would like to compile or convert. Gelide is a ROM loader - a frontend for multiple emulators, which may work in Puppy. Also Game Launcher could work well in Puppy, but needs to be compiled.

Here are also a couple of ROM good managers - advancescan and mamory.. They do not have a frontend at all, so you have to view the readmes, or run in terminal for usage details.

I added the latest version of iNES.. And I've also added fbzx2.1 - this is an ZX80 emulator.. Not tested! Requires glibc 2.7!!

Hope some of this is useful.. :)
Attachments
iNES-3.6.pet
iNES 3.6 - NES/Famicom emulator
(189.85 KiB) Downloaded 2437 times
fbzx-2.1b-2.fc10.i386.pet
spectrum/ZX80 emulator - requires glibc, found in above
(91.17 KiB) Downloaded 892 times
mamory-0.2.25-3.fc10.i386.pet
rom manager, no gui
(90.26 KiB) Downloaded 777 times
loemu_0.3.1_i386.pet
rom browser
(59.25 KiB) Downloaded 785 times
gromlist-0.3.2.pet
rom browser
(58.37 KiB) Downloaded 772 times
emuexec-1.2-2.i386.pet
rom browser
(176.85 KiB) Downloaded 968 times
Last edited by sc0ttman on Thu 22 Oct 2009, 07:32, edited 3 times in total.

sc0ttman

NEW VERSION AVAILABLE

#50 Post by sc0ttman »

NEW VERSION: Puppy Arcade V2

The new versions have many more features, are VERY easy to use and only slightly larger!!

'Puppy Arcade V2' comes in 3 flavours:

All versions feature many emulators and are identical, except that the 'goffice' version contains the 'goffice' suite (abiword, gnumeric, inkscape), while the 'openoffice' version features 'OpenOffice2.2' (base, calc, writer, impress & draw).

(Both office versions feature working CUPS, but printer drivers not included.. get gutenprint etc)

Download 'Puppy Arcade V2':
http://www.sendspace.com/file/p5vcvg (104MB, MD5: bbf63866bfae2f7b9ebf51df10dba831)

Download 'Puppy Arcade V2 + goffice':
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2mrucp (120MB, md5: da926e991801c847e9f25b940ad5f936)

Download 'Puppy Arcade V2 + openoffice':
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2s7kys (203MB, md5: cbd329834237c8362206fcb6a1721213)

'Puppy Arcade V2' (all versions above) include emulators for the following systems, all with frontends:

Amiga, Atari, Amstrad, Arcade Machines, Colecovision, Commodore 64, GameBoys (GB, GBC, GBA), GameGear, Genesis, Intellivision, MasterSystem, MS DOS, NeoGeo, NeoGeo CD, NES/Famicom, PC Engine/TurboGrafix 16, PSX, Scumm, SNES.

V2 also includes:

- PupSaveConfig - easily create save files before logoff
- GtkHash - check/verify file integrity for downloads
- PStreamVid - watch online TV through Gxine
- Wish Rush- tiny dual pane file manager
- Office and productivity suite via online services (zoho, editgrid, etc)
- AdvanceScan - ROM Manager, type 'advscan' in the terminal for details
- Right-click conversion/extraction of .deb, .rpm, tgz and pet files!! :)
- Improved shutdown menu and options
- LOADS of great bookmarks and bookmarklets (inc fireBug!!) , nicely organised in FirePup :D

This puplet does not include any BIOS files for Amiga, PSX, etc, or any roms.

To play Amiga roms: Download the kickstart files (kick13, kick20, kick31), and put them in /usr/lib/uae.. Then create a symlink called 'kick.rom' that points to the required kickstart file. Use the 'CPU Type: 68020' and the 'Full ECS' chipset.. Works fine for me!!

Thanks to Makoto, Ale, Dingo, dejan555, ttuuxxx, zigbert, Feel, tikbalang, MU and others for all your files, suggestions, examples and help.
Last edited by sc0ttman on Mon 05 Oct 2009, 11:15, edited 2 times in total.

Ale

#51 Post by Ale »

Just tested it briefly to see how the guis we talked about turned out. They work basically and functional. If you wanted to you could include some roms you could go to http://www.pdroms.de/ they are all free. Some are not the latest versions.

I think that an 8 bit styled puppy logo would be a good way to emphasize the arcade idea.

sc0ttman

#52 Post by sc0ttman »

Ale wrote:Just tested it briefly to see how the guis we talked about turned out. They work basically and functional. If you wanted to you could include some roms you could go to http://www.pdroms.de/ they are all free. Some are not the latest versions.

I think that an 8 bit styled puppy logo would be a good way to emphasize the arcade idea.
Thanks for the link, I decided not to include any roms in the ISO, freeware or otherwise, simply to keep the filesize as small as possible... And thanks for your help on the GUIs.... MUCH appreciated :)

Dingo

#53 Post by Dingo »

Downloaded, burned, loaded and... Hu, Ho! Huston, We have a problem!

UAE (Amiga emulator), seems unable to read my Amiga kickstart (1.3 and 3.1 both) that are read fine by E-UAE

I select the MEMORY TAB in UAE
click on kickstart location

but path is not retained in UAE, so emulator can't start

I have installed E-UAE (and deleted .uaerc in /root/) and kickstart are read and games start. I'll further ijvestigate in order to help to solve problems
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

sc0ttman

#54 Post by sc0ttman »

Dingo wrote:UAE (Amiga emulator), seems unable to read my Amiga kickstart (1.3 and 3.1 both) that are read fine by E-UAE
Hmmmmmmm.... I have it working fine - I'm playing 'Another World' right now, using kickstart files from btjunkie... But I guess I should've just gone with E-UAE like you said, Dingo!! :?

But, if anyone else is having problems, this is how I got it working..

I downloaded the kickstart files (kick13, kick20, kick31), and put them in /usr/lib/uae.. I then created a symlink called 'kick.rom' that points to the required kickstart file.

By the way, I am playing using the 'CPU Type: 68020' and the 'Full ECS' chipset.. Works fine for me!! :D

panzerpuppy

#55 Post by panzerpuppy »

sc0ttman, removing RP-PPPOE is a bad choice.
You should know that there are A LOT of users using A/DSL connections.

Also, how about replacing some emulators with more accurate / better ones? The emulators included in Puppy Arcade are a bit on the lame side :(

For example:

* bsnes - the best SNES emulator is now GPL / Open Source. It emulates 99.9% of the SNES games with absolute perfection.
http://byuu.org/

* Gambatte - the best and most accurate Game Boy / GB Color emulator for Linux - also Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gambatte/

* NEStopia - the *KING* of NES emulators and a true showcase of what the power of Open Source can do. Beats any NES emulator on the planet.
http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=200

* KEGA Fusion - the best SEGA Genesis / SEGA CD / Master System / Game Gear / SG-1000 emulator now has a Linux version as well.
http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega

* VBA-M - it's light years above VBA in compatibility , accuracy , features and playability. The best GBA emulator ever.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vbam/

* Mednafen is one of the best Open-Source TurboGrafx and multisystem emulators. It emulates the PCEngine (TurboGrafx16 + SuperGrafx), Atari Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket (Color), NEC PC-FX, WonderSwan (Color) and more :)
http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/

* Yabause - the one and only Open Source SEGA Saturn Emulator for Linux
http://yabause.org/
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Mon 05 Oct 2009, 13:46, edited 3 times in total.

panzerpuppy

#56 Post by panzerpuppy »

One more thing: Please upgrade Puppy Arcade to Puppy Linux v4.3.1 (when it's released). Puppy 4.3 is faster, better and supports newer ATI and NVIDIA cards and drivers.
(i.e. It's impossible to install newer ATI Catalyst or NVIDIA ForceWare drivers on Puppy 4.2)

sc0ttman

#57 Post by sc0ttman »

panzerpuppy wrote:sc0ttman, removing RP-PPPOE is a bad choice.
You should know that there are A LOT of users using A/DSL connections.
If someone downloaded the ISO, they can download PPPoE if they want it..
panzerpuppy wrote: Also, how about replacing some emulators with more accurate / better ones? The emulators included in Puppy Arcade are a bit on the lame side
I've seen all those other emulators, and are not including any of them for the reasons I have already stated in previous posts - either they have large dependencies (QT etc), high system requirements (Kega), couldn't be compiled (VBA-M) or have poor speed, compatiblity or playability (Yabause). Remember, Puppy Arcade is for low-end PCs... I always said I intended to keep the basic version around 100MB... So most of those emulators are simply not suitable for what I wanted to create.
panzerpuppy wrote:One more thing: Please upgrade Puppy Arcade to Puppy Linux v4.3.1 (when it's released).
If 4.3 worked with Pet-be-Gone, then I would have... But I have already said I will try to make a sfs file of all the emulators I used in Puppy Arcade, so they can be added as needed.. Even if they are 'lame'.

By the way, if anyone feels Puppy Arcade V2 isn't good enough for their needs, feel free to improve it, remaster it and post your own ISO on this thread. I'm sure it's not perfect, but I'm done!

sc0ttman

Puppy Arcade V2 SFS Files Available

#58 Post by sc0ttman »

SFS Files for Puppy Arcade V2: Add to your own puppy install to get the emulators listed below!!

Amiga, Atari, Amstrad, Arcade Machines, Colecovision, Commodore 64, GameBoys (GB, GBC, GBA), GameGear, Genesis, Intellivision, MasterSystem, MS DOS, NeoGeo, NeoGeo CD, NES/Famicom, PC Engine/TurboGrafix 16, PSX, Scumm, SNES.

Download 'Puppy Arcade V2 SFS' for Puppy 4.2:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jcijku (31MB, md5: d542eb1c3a5c85dc26eb1c92424ce159)

Download 'Puppy Arcade V2 SFS' for Puppy 4.3:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cb6csr (31MB, md5: aa61adab0bdcf04242603a4d5cdac155)

Add these files to the same directory as your 'pup_42*.sfs' or 'pup_43*.sfs' files... You will need to rename the end of the files to match your puppy version.. Example: Change '_420.sfs' to '_421.sfs' for version 4.2.1

Hope you enjoy! :)

sc0ttman

#59 Post by sc0ttman »

Dingo wrote:Downloaded, burned, loaded and... Hu, Ho! Huston, We have a problem!

UAE (Amiga emulator), seems unable to read my Amiga kickstart (1.3 and 3.1 both) that are read fine by E-UAE

I select the MEMORY TAB in UAE
click on kickstart location

but path is not retained in UAE, so emulator can't start

I have installed E-UAE (and deleted .uaerc in /root/) and kickstart are read and games start. I'll further investigate in order to help to solve problems
Thanks Dingo, if you let everyone know, that will be great.. I'm not going to update Puppy Arcade any further, so people will have to make any changes themselves.. People may like to share any puplets created that use the Puppy Arcade SFS/PET file on this thread.

I'm out! :shock:

Makoto

#60 Post by Makoto »

In regard to the SFS version... ah, now I don't have to risk ruining my pup_save file. :D (Although, I might end up doing that anyway if I do experiment with Puppy 4.3...)