Overall problem printing

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
defeatless

Overall problem printing

#1 Post by defeatless »

Dear puppy Gods!

I got an overall problem with printing.
I'm working on 4.2.1 on a USB

I always have my printer(s) on a USB for my laptop doesn't have any other option except wireless (may the first one using that without problems please stand up) which I cannot use for it doesn't work at all

When I look for a printer in CUPS (http:\\localhost:631) It just finds it and installs it well.
I did install all the packages correctly, and did some modifications which were recommended here.

When giving the printer a order, or want to print a test page it just gives me:

usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed

Anyone to help me?

Thanks!

Patriot

Re: Overall problem printing

#2 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
defeatless wrote:........ usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed ........
Still trying to print to the hp930c ? ... Have you installed rcrsn51's HPIJS 3.9.4 ?

After installing the hpijs driver, you'll also need the patched foomatic-rip ...

Rgds

DaveS

Re: Overall problem printing

#3 Post by DaveS »

defeatless wrote:wireless (may the first one using that without problems please stand up)
LOL, that would be me! But man, what a pain to set up. HP Photosmart c4380. Had to use my wifes Wndows PC to get it to recognise the network and the set up software was so bad it took two days and many hours of Google to fix it, plus downloading patches, but once it could use the network, all was fine. I use this package http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46610
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

defeatless

#4 Post by defeatless »

Thanks for helping!

But it still gives the same problem.

I'm not only working with the HP930c but also on my laptop of the company there I'm working on a HP5740 series.
For the 5740 there is no driver but I assume that the 5700 works out well.

I did install both packages and moved them to /usr/lib/cups/filter/ (foomatic PET) and to /usr/lib/cups/drivers (HPIJS)

It might be that usr/lib/cups/filter is corrupt. But don't know how to get a good one back without making a new USB flash, for what I have right now is fantastic!

Patriot

#5 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
defeatless wrote:........
I did install both packages and moved them to /usr/lib/cups/filter/ (foomatic PET) and to /usr/lib/cups/drivers (HPIJS) .........
The foomatic scripts are not supposed to be moved ... ditto for the hpijs drivers ... Once installed, they're supposed to be where they are supposed to be ... moving them puts you back to square one, thus defeating the "defeatless" ... :lol:

Rgds

defeatless

#6 Post by defeatless »

Dear God Patriot,

Did move it all back to the tmp folder all set on readable and writable. (u+rw)

But still not working... so I'm not really defeated :cry: :cry: