Clean out excess Firefox droppings

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
trapster

#1 Post by trapster »

I was cleaning out some files today and found almost 120 mb of "extra" files from firefox. It seems firefox 3.5 keeps extra files even after cleaning out the cache and history.

Check /root/.mozilla/firefox/tzuag0gd.default/minidumps
and
/root/.mozilla/firefox/tzuag0gd.default/Cache.Trash

I cleared them both (60mb/ea.) with no ill-effects thus far.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Yes, there was recently a discussion about other rubbish 3.5 keeps around too.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

1. Clean out old files [in Windows] with the Windows Janitor script.
I use this in Windows.
Works really well.
You can specify that all files of a certain age or older...
That reside in a specified folder...
Are to be deleted at a certain specified time.
There can be multiple VBS script files, each cutomized for its specific job.
Ether that or you MANUALLY run the various customized copies of the script [various VBS files given suitable names by the user].

2. It would be nice if there were a Puppy version of this script file.
And it were possible to run such tasks at specified times.
No reason why Windows should be allowed to be able to do things that Puppy can not.

3. I have no .Mozilla minidump or trash files.
Can't remember if I deleted these previously.
Quite likely did.

DemostiX

#4 Post by DemostiX »

Could an expert give guidance for each of the several browsers we are likely to use? I think these general conditions hold for lots of us.

1. We'd like to save passwords, settings, bookmark files, and profiles; but be at no risk of their being lost or overridden by new browser installations.

2. We've plenty of real memory, but are working off a USB stick, so we don't want constant writing of temporary browser files to the memory stick, for reasons of speed, and desired longevity of the memory stick. When the browser session is over, all those temporary files can and should be lost.

3. Meaning we don't want them in our save files. After all, the initial read and final write of a 500 meg save file to a USB pen drive when powering down can be very slow.

So, please: Guidance, considering operation of Puppy and knowledge of how and where EACH browser's profiles and temporary files are specified and found would be appreciated. Advice that has appeared in these forums to minimize trash by setting caches to 0 plainly does not apply to dial-up service or minimize traffic. If a page of settings of environments to be read by a script is what is called for, then that would be great to see developed.

Short of that, it would be useful to know where to look for files that may balloon the Save File. Puppy advice to remove them is not too helpful considering the great number of mostly empty directories in which one might look.