but in menus

menu / business / quisp
should read Quisp dynamic
(spelling)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

cichlasoma

#162 Post by cichlasoma »

aarf wrote:copying from rxvt can be done by highlighting and then clicking the scroll wheel of the mouse in the desired location BUT if you only have a touch pad you cant copy because ctrl+C doesnt copy any more. :cry:
You can download Termit (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6b194c53d2) or Terminal (included in Xfce http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39637) which offer copying on right click.

tinbeskut

#163 Post by tinbeskut »

hi to all..

this is my first time writing to this forum althought used puppy over 4 months now and surfing and watching this forum for all my probs..

i'm from malaysia and localization did not match my country

ms malasia

suppose to be my malaysia

*pardon for my broken english coz this is not my mother tongue language..

and i'm seem this new puppy only for user with resolution 4:3 not for 16:9 ... i have to modify xorg to make it work beautifully and yes it did great..

thanks barry and all the peoples who made this great distros...

mawebb88

Extra drivers for Puppy 4.3 with 2.6.30.5 kernel

#164 Post by mawebb88 »

@ tempestuous

Any chance of the specials you did for Eee PC's for the new kernel?

i.e
eee-snd-hda-intel-patched-k2.6.25.16.pet
acpid-Eee-ath_pci.pet (may be its already in 430?)
acpid-Eee-r8180.pet (may be its already in 430?)
acpid-Eee-rt2860sta.pet (may be its already in 430?)
eee-asus_acpi-pciehp-k2.6.25.16.pet
eee-fan-CPU-0.2-k2.6.25.16.pet

I am particularly after the ones for the function keys and CPU/fan stuff.

ref http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34159 for the 2.6.25.16 kernel ones (I used in 412)

Thanks is advance (and sorry of there is already another thread on this but I did not find it)

Rgds Mike

mawebb88

Editing /root/.jwmrc do not stick

#165 Post by mawebb88 »

This is not a specific 430 problem I know but can anyone tell me how I can make my edits of /root/.jwmrc stick?

The problem is that in rthe menu as delivered if you install mplayer from the official repros you get in /root/.jwmrc this:

Code: Select all

<Program label="MPlayer media player" icon="mplayer.xpm">exec mplayershell</Program>
This opens mplayer but it then crashes.

The fix well reported elsewhere is to change this to:

<Program label="GMPlayer" icon="mplayer.xpm">gmplayer -msglevel all=-1 %U &</Program>
If I manually edit /root/.jwmrc to change the lines then "Restart JWM" everything is fine. But whenever I install (or uninstall) any apps the manual edits get lost and the /root/.jwmrc gets re-built somehow to put the wrong line back.

I am sure there is simple fix but I am still learning so maybe someone knows this fix already?

Rgds Mike

Philh

#166 Post by Philh »

mawebb88
For mplayer in 412
I had to modify the desktop file in the same way to stop it getting over written.

/usr/local/share/applications/mplayer.desktop
Probably the same in 4.3

mawebb88

Post subject: Editing /root/.jwmrc do not stick

#167 Post by mawebb88 »

Philh wrote:mawebb88
For mplayer in 412
I had to modify the desktop file in the same way to stop it getting over written.

/usr/local/share/applications/mplayer.desktop
Probably the same in 4.3
Many thanks I am sure that's exactly what I was looking for. I will give a whirl.

Rgds

Mike

darwinev0lved

Re: network problems with 4.30 small

#168 Post by darwinev0lved »

prehistoric wrote:This does not appear to be a problem with getting the right module. When I use the network wizard I find it correctly identifies the wireless interface on my Dell 610 as the Intel 2915ABG card (ipw2200 module). It successfully scans and finds the encrypted network, with either the network wizard or Pwireless. Something weird is going on after that. It will accept the idea that the encryption is either WEP or WPA2, but refuses to believe I could be using WPA/TKIP.

This worked on 4.25, with occasional problems of interfaces moving between eth0 to eth1 depending on how they loaded. The wired network, which I'm using to post this, uses the tg3 module for a BCM5751.
I've had exactly the same problem. As it is, I've belatedly shifted my encryption to WPA2, so no harm.
It worked fine on 425.
It loads the right module (obviously as WPA2 works) ipw2100 but it fails at the 'handshake' stage of the network wizard.
Regards, Jon.

cichlasoma

Minor inconveniences

#169 Post by cichlasoma »

Some details I like more in 4.21 than in 4.30:
- The item Search here with Pfind has disappeared from a context menu opened in ROX on a directory.
- I find the shut-down menu (in separate panel) in 4.21 much more convenient. I tend to click on "shut down" in the main menu in 4.30, whereupon the menu disappeares.
- I regret, Htop is missing from 4.30.
- I did find Puppy Control Panel handy, it's gone.
- A miner "bug" - 4.30 still writes in a pop-up "saving to pup_save", whereas it saves to "pupsave" in fact, which could be confusing for newbies like me.

Vyse

#170 Post by Vyse »

I am trying to boot from my 4.3 CD, but X just wont start up. I am on a AMD Athlon X2 250, with an ATI RADEON HD 4650.

Funnily enough, Puppy 4.2 works just fine on my box!!

Anyways I tried it on my laptop and so far it runs perfectly fine. No issues whatsoever, and MU's catalyst drivers work perfectly.

Puppy rocks!!

T_Hobbit

Re: Missing programs and internet connection

#171 Post by T_Hobbit »

Brown Mouse wrote: All seemed to boot ok but on reboot lost internet connection and it cant seem to locate any network card using Wizard.Reinstalled again but still the same errors.No problems auto detecting and connecting with all my other distros.
Regards
Happens the some here. Hard to find networks, hard to connect to networks, lost configuration after reboot.
Any solution so far?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

Iguleder

kernel panic!

#172 Post by Iguleder »

Ran 4.30 from a CD, with 3 HD partitions:
- sda1 - NTFS
- sda5 - EXT4
- sda6 - swap

2 problems:
- Can't save to sda5, EXT4, only to sda1.
- Made a save in sda1, then all I got is kernel panics. Ran just fine with pfix=ram.

Brown Mouse

#173 Post by Brown Mouse »

T_Hobbit wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote: All seemed to boot ok but on reboot lost internet connection and it cant seem to locate any network card using Wizard.Reinstalled again but still the same errors.No problems auto detecting and connecting with all my other distros.
Regards
Happens the some here. Hard to find networks, hard to connect to networks, lost configuration after reboot.
Any solution so far?
Yes I fixed my network connection problem by reinstalling.
I'm using the boot from cd method and had Puppy 4.2.1 previously installed as a pupsave file and it didn't like it even after renaming it.
Maybe it's the same for you.I saved a copy of my old 421 file to a flash disc then deleted what was on the hdd,reinstalled 430 and it detects the network card and saves the settings now.

Kenny-M

#174 Post by Kenny-M »

Puppy 430-SCSI

I noticed this morning in the dmesg log after SCSI detection is completed the following messages:

============
squashfs: version 3.3 (2007/10/31) Phillip Lougher
usb_storage: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
============

"kernel tainted" ???

and:

============
fuse init (API version 7.9)
EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
udevd version 124 started
============

Thanks.

valpy

#175 Post by valpy »

There appears to be a problem when running Xdialog in standard 4.3 (live CD, pfix=ram, md5sum of CD matches the .iso, e18650d38c4185a4b70778026c305e98)

I discovered this when using Pudd from the utility menu.
Symptom - clicking in the filename box in the 'destination' dialogue causes the script to crash.

I traced this to the Xdialog command embedded in line 545 of the Pudd script (the script is unchanged from earlier Puppy versions).

This error is reproducible in an rxvt window: the command

# Xdialog --wmclass "Pudd" --title "Pudd: new or choose existing (replace) dest. file" --no-buttons --stdout --fselect "myfile.img" 0 0 
brings up a dialogue which crashes with a segmentation fault when the filename box initially containing the name "myfile.img" is clicked on.

Note that the same Xdialog command does not cause a problem in ttuuxxx's updated 4.31.1 - presumably the library updates have fixed the root cause.

(see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46727 for description and links to ttuuxxx's updated .iso)

Iguleder

#176 Post by Iguleder »

Yes, yet another bug report by me.
2 bugs, with .30.5 kernel, that don't appear with .25:
- Sound card is not detected. An onboard Intel HDA, the card is not recognized, snd_hda_intel is not loaded and doesn't exist for some reason.
- About once in three boots my NIC (Realtek 8169, onboard) is not detected. ifconfig shows only a loopback device, and the network wizards don't show it.

2 more reasons to stick with my custom-Woofed, .25.16 4.3?

cichlasoma

Re: Location of savefiles

#177 Post by cichlasoma »

cichlasoma wrote:is it all right, Puppy doesn't search for savefiles on other drives when it boots from a USB flash disk and finds one or more savefiles on it? 4.21 did search other drives as well.
Hmm.. I add, when frugal install of even Puppy 4.21 boots from a HD partition and finds one or more savefiles on it, it doesn't search other partitions (or disks) for futher savefiles.
(I would find more convenient if it did so. (Can one force it to do so somehow perhaps?))

straycat

puppylinux widget version display

#178 Post by straycat »

The PuppyLinux widget does not display the 430 version number correctly.
In the file /root/.pwidgets/configs/Puppylinux
change the line
${pre_exec head /etc/puppyversion -c 3 | sed 's/[0-9]/&./' | sed 's/[0-2]/&./'}
to
${pre_exec head /etc/puppyversion -c 3 | sed 's/\([0-9]\)\([0-9]\)/\1.\2/g; s/\([0-9]\)\([0-9]\)/\1.\2/g'}

What this line does is look at the first three characters of the file "puppyversion" and edit
two neighbouring digits to have a dot between them. Since 'sed' is asked to look at
pairs of digits, it has to make a second pass to process the second digit, in case it is
also followed by another digit.

rerwin

#179 Post by rerwin »

Iguleder,
- Sound card is not detected. An onboard Intel HDA, the card is not recognized, snd_hda_intel is not loaded and doesn't exist for some reason.
What does Menu > System > PupScan show for the sound card in the PCI interfaces listing? Do you see anything relevant in the /var/log/messages log?
Richard

T_Hobbit

#180 Post by T_Hobbit »

Brown Mouse wrote:
T_Hobbit wrote:
Regards
Any solution so far?
Yes I fixed my network connection problem by reinstalling.
I'm using the boot from cd method and had Puppy 4.2.1 previously installed as a pupsave file and it didn't like it even after renaming it.
Maybe it's the same for you.I saved a copy of my old 421 file to a flash disc then deleted what was on the hdd,reinstalled 430 and it detects the network card and saves the settings now.
Nop! I've a fresh 4.3 frugal install. I solve my problem using the old version of network wizard. It solved my problem. Detected my network at first try, saved the configuration and it comes alive every time I boot my computer!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?: