Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gyro

#321 Post by gyro »

rerwin wrote:But I would like to request that Barry add a line: "#-chap" to the /etc/ppp/options file
Could you also ask that the "115200" line in /etc/ppp/options be commented out, please.

This would remove any possibility of it interfering with the speed set in wvdial.conf by the current pupdial (as per puppy 4.3 final.)

gyro

gyro

pupdial (4.3) + 3G mobile phone = easy connection

#322 Post by gyro »

rerwin,

Thanks for the new pupdial with the wireless extension. With it, connecting to Telstra's NextG network using my SAMSUNG 411 mobile phone as a USB modem, just works.

The probe function found my phone at /dev/ttyACM0.
Then enter the appropriate phone number and APN and click "Stupid mode" on, and "Auto reconnect" off.
Then click on "Connect to Internet", and it works, quite quickly.

Now that I have installed your latest fixed version into puppy 4.3, it works the next time as well, even after a reboot.

gyro

mcalex

#323 Post by mcalex »

hi rerwin,

you helped earlier, and I had meant to post feedback, but obviously didn't :oops:
01micko wrote:1. I always check 'stupid mode' but pupdial does not remember my choice. Is that possible to implement?

2. I definitely need the '-chap' option in /etc/ppp/options (just inadvertantly tried without it :lol: ) or else the modem will not negotiate a connection. I recall you said you might try to squeeze that checkbox in the pupdial gui.
ditto on both for me. without stupid mode, the modem eventually gets going (~5secs), but the setting isn't retained, and (also using Virgin) without -chap there is no connection.

cheers

01micko

#324 Post by 01micko »

Hi mcalex,

rerwin posted an updated pupdial on page 10 of the "4.3 final bugs and suggestions" thread which solves the checkbox issue.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#325 Post by 01micko »

rerwin

It just occured to me to test your new "-chap" solution for VirginBroadband, so I deleted the "-chap" option in /etc/ppp/options and it connected without a hitch. :) (more good news for us mcalex :wink: )

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mcalex

#326 Post by mcalex »

hi rerwin, 01micko

new pet installed. wvdial remembers settings and /etc/ppp/options is now free of -chap settings. good stuff.

PS: remembering earlier problems with ppl being connected, but unable to access the web with seamonkey until changing resolv.conf or other dns issues, i had similar when i did a clean reinstall of puppy to 4.3. modem light was solid, but was getting 403s in SM until I changed "Configure proxies to access the internet' (Edit/Preferences/Advanced/Proxies) from 'Direct connection to the internet' to 'Automatically discover the proxy configuration'. After I shut down SM and wvdial and reconnected, all good. Apologies if the reaction to all that is 'well duh' :)

gyro

#327 Post by gyro »

eleanori,

What type of "wired modem" do you have, that it connects with Ethernet?

gyro

mrbulldog

#328 Post by mrbulldog »

Can anyone help me regarding making HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem (3 mobile broadband) work on hard drive install of Puppy Linux 3.01.
It is not hard to set up this thing using a dial up account...that is dead easy in Windoze.
I realize that I need to make puppy recognize the device as a modem, but everything I have seen so far seems to be for puppy 4.2. I do not wish to use puppy 4.2 (no offence meant, but I just don't like puppy 4.2).
I have spent a very long time working on puppy 3, as I have no programming experience or anything like that. I am just a stubborn old man who hates windows and am willing to spend time making things work in Linux.
Too many things do not work for me in puppy 4.2, & I wish to persevere with puppy 3.
Here is some info:
Manufacturer=HUAWEI Technology
Product=HUAWEI Mobile
VendorID=12d1 ProductID=1001 KERNEL-MODULE=usb-storage
If anyone replies to this, and needs more info, I will provide it.

darwinev0lved

#329 Post by darwinev0lved »

OK, this has just taken me the best part of the day but in the end was ridiculously easy, so I'm posting it here in case anybody else wants to do what I've done.

Running Puppy 4.30, frugal install.

I'm using a Vodafone K3565 (Huawei E160) PAYG 3G dongle

What took me absolutely ages to work out was what to enter into the PupDial. So here it is:
Phone number *99#
User Name wap
password wap
Wireless APN pp.internet

Ticked Stupid Mode and was good to go.
If anybody's interested, I found the relevant info by plugging the dongle into my Ubuntu desktop - a couple of clicks later and I was online - it either know or auto-detected "magically" that APN wa pp.internet as I haven't seen that anywhere else.

So, hopefully this will save somebody else a lot of time.
Puppy rocks, and I'm very pleased - just wish it hadn't taken quite this long to find out!

Regards,
Jon

rerwin

#330 Post by rerwin »

darwinev0lved,
Thanks for your straightforward how-to for you modem and provider. I am taken by your mention that ubuntu figures out the APN. I have a hunch how it might do that, and I think we can do that at least manually. There is a command to display the APN stored in the phone/modem's memory. I have provided the command in wvdial.conf as a comment that a user can edit to remove the "#":

Code: Select all

#Init8 = AT+CGDCONT?
Try doing that before running pupdial (because it overwrites during its operation), then try to connect. The APN should appear in the pupdial log of the connection. I am open to ideas on using that info to make pupdial smarter.

Assuming the APN is in the modem, you might try changing the phone number to *99***1# (I think that's the right number of asterisks). That says to use the first number in the internal list of APNs. If yours is second in the list, use "2" instead of "1".

Idea: How about pupdial activating the Init8 line for a connection if no APN is entered? Your experimentation with Init8 would move that idea along. Thanks.
Richard

Aitch

#331 Post by Aitch »

Rich - just found
Wpa_Gui: Finally a real network manager for puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47838

Maybe some people here can test this?

Also wikihow Wifi setup

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-a-Wireles ... uppy-Linux

found in this thread

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 599#351599

HTH

Aitch :)

darwinev0lved

#332 Post by darwinev0lved »

rerwin wrote:darwinev0lved,
Thanks for your straightforward how-to for you modem and provider. I am taken by your mention that ubuntu figures out the APN. I have a hunch how it might do that, and I think we can do that at least manually. There is a command to display the APN stored in the phone/modem's memory. I have provided the command in wvdial.conf as a comment that a user can edit to remove the "#":

Code: Select all

#Init8 = AT+CGDCONT?
Try doing that before running pupdial (because it overwrites during its operation), then try to connect. The APN should appear in the pupdial log of the connection. I am open to ideas on using that info to make pupdial smarter.

Assuming the APN is in the modem, you might try changing the phone number to *99***1# (I think that's the right number of asterisks). That says to use the first number in the internal list of APNs. If yours is second in the list, use "2" instead of "1".

Idea: How about pupdial activating the Init8 line for a connection if no APN is entered? Your experimentation with Init8 would move that idea along. Thanks.
Richard

Hi Richard, I'm happy to try to help. Emphasis should probably be on the 'try' :D

OK. I deleted wvdial.conf, then ran wvdialshell (hope this is right, I'm really only a linux user).
wvdial.conf then looked like this

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 9600
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
; Phone = <Target Phone Number>
; Username = <Your Login Name>
; Password = <Your Password>

So I added the Init8 = AT+CGDCONT? line

Ran PupDial. Used the *99***1# phone number and wap for user and password again. Left the APN blank.

PupDial connected just fine. :D

Save pupdial.log to see if that would help

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99***1#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99***1#
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Fri Oct 16 11:04:47 2009
--> pid of pppd: 22494

So it doesn't look like the APN does appear in the pupdial.log

However, my wvdial.conf does have this line in it

[Dialer isp1apn]
Init5 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP",""

is that what's doing the trick?

Happy to try something else if that would help.

Regards,
Jon

zygo

#333 Post by zygo »

Rerwin,

I have a Huawei E1550 (vendor 12d1 product 1446). USB mode switch does not work with or without the -H parameter -- the device remains mass storage. Do I have to permanently switch it through ms (AT+ZCDRUN=8 )? (If so I'll wait a couple of weeks when my 30 day voucher will be almost expired)

Thanks for leading this project. I'd be gratefull for any advice.

smokey01

Optus Wireless Broadband

#334 Post by smokey01 »

I'm having some problems getting the Blink modem to work with Optus Wireless Broadband. The modem is a HUAEWEI E169 HSDPA USB Stick. I see other people in this forum have managed to get it to work in Puppy 4.3.1. I haven't been so lucky, not yet anyway.

When using wvDial it requires 4 bits of information:
The dial number. Optus tell me this is *99#
UserName: Optus tell me this is not required since August 09
Password: Optus tell me this is not required since August 09
APN: Optus tell me this is splns888a1

I select stupid mode.
Uncheck the three check boxes carrier etc.
When I press connect it complains there is no UserName or Password.

When I look at Hardinfo the modem can be seen and the probe works from wvdial.

Any suggestions welcomed.

zygo

#335 Post by zygo »

rerwin,

Thanks, for this thread I got my e1550 working with three in Puppy 431. No additional software just the switch command from http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/bb/ -- the forum of the maker of usb_modeswitch.

smokey01,

I don't need username and password either. Put anything for them eg anything and anything. Wvdial waits about a minute for the isp to ask for these details. When it doesn't it simply starts the connection and blinky pipes up. All is well. :o :lol: :D

smokey01

#336 Post by smokey01 »

Thanks Zygo but it doesn't want to connect. I have let it continue until it times out and then it tries again and continually times out.

Unfortunately the people on the Optus help desk are not all that helpful as they are used to dealing mainly with Windows installations.

Could you post a screen shot of your settings please?

Has anyone else manage to connect to Optus Broadband?

Thanks

smokey01

#337 Post by smokey01 »

Well I finally got it to work after a lot of head scratching and time.

The laptop I setup was a Dell Inspiron 1501, Turion 64 x 2.

Anyway, with the suggestions in this forum from darwinev0lved and zygo I was eventually successful.

This setup is for Optus Broadband using the HUAWEI E169 USB modem, also known as a Blink modem.
Dial number:*99#
Username: Anything you like, I left the default
Password: Anything you like, I left the default
APN: splns888a1

It was difficult determining the field requirements.

OK, next problem.

The laptop had an internal modem and the dialer kept finding it instead of the wireless modem. I changed the the config file but it still couldn't find the wireless modem. I removed the internal modem.

I tried a fresh boot from a clean DVD with pfix=ram. Now bugger me this worked so I saved the pupsave file.

I then copied the new pupsave file into the /puppy431/ directory and booted from the previous frugal install. Obviously I removed the older pupsave file first. Guess what? No go, couldn't find the modem.

Next test was to boot with the fresh DVD and load the new pupsave file, no pfix=ram this time. It worked.

It didn't seem to matter what I did, unless I used the DVD it would not find the modem.

Test three, probably thirty three really. In the Grub line where the kernel is loaded, I removed the nosmp switch. Bugger me again this time it worked perfectly. I have absolutely no idea why I even tried this but it worked.

Hope this helps someone save some heartbeats.

Aitch

#338 Post by Aitch »

Good link, Zygo

I found this useful page there, on usb modeswitch

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/#intro

Aitch :)

rerwin

#339 Post by rerwin »

smokey01, zygo,
Sorry to have neglected this thread for a week or so, But I have something that should help with the E1550. I attach an updated set of modeswitch rules that includes a file for the E1550 and a similar model. However, it requires you to uncomment the rule that pertains to the E1550. The file is /etc/udev/rules.d/51-usb_modeswitch-option-0x12d1-0x1446.rules. You should not have to edit or reconfigure wvdial.conf to make it work; please help me get pupdial to handle it automatically, by posting a diagnostic file (see below) for me to analyze.
The laptop had an internal modem and the dialer kept finding it instead of the wireless modem.
Smokey01, regarding the conflict with the internal modem: My intent is for Puppy to handle that by detecting the USB modem in preference to the PCI modems. In working with my new DGC USB modem on my 400 MHz PC, I find that Puppy does not wait long enough for the driver to load. I have added a wait loop to the init scripts for cdcacm, hso, dgcmodem, and sierra modems. Option-driver modems already have a wait loop that waits up to a minute, so that should be sufficient.

But before attempting workarounds, have you tried "erasing" the detected internal modem and rebooting? Once a modem has been selected/detected, that setting will remain until you "probe > ERASE" it in pupdial and reboot with the USB modem plugged in.

If that doesn't work, we need to find out why. To find out why the internal modem is detected with the USB modem plugged in, could you create a fresh pupsave with the pmodemdiag tool installed, obtained from here?: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=22470
In the reboot following the tool installation, please run it (./pmodemdiag) and post the generated file as an attachment.

Thanks.

UPDATE 11/19/09: The original dotpet omitted the renaming of the usb_modeswitch.sh script to match the name used in the rules. The "-2" version corrects that and also names it back if you uninstall the dotpet. Those who have downloaded the old ("-1") version can simply rename the script to:
/usr/sbin/pusb_modeswitch.sh
instead of reinstalling with the new version. Thanks, zygo.
Richard
Attachments
usb_modeswitch_rules_update_to_431-2.pet
This should also work for 4.1.2, 4.2.1, and 4.3.
(10.69 KiB) Downloaded 1036 times
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 19 Nov 2009, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#340 Post by smokey01 »

Richard,

The computer is mine but my son uses it. He has since collected it so I'm not sure when I will see it again now that it is working. If I can borrow it back I will try what you asked. He mainly uses it to play cards on PokerStars which runs quite nicely through Wine.

I must admit I'm pretty disappointed with the wireless modem as the speed is quite poor. I'm not too sure what speed my son has signed up to but it only gets about 32k throughput, is that normal?

Grant