Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Apr 2014, 22:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 4.3 Final -- bug reports and suggestions
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 21 [301 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
aragon

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep 2009, 05:28    Post subject:  

as pointed out by aran: frequency scaling is not working in 4.30.

this is a problem for pup-430-small.iso. small seems to miss more modules than i thought. having a scaling-app but no modules is a bug i think.

the regular pup-430.iso does contain the modules in the zp430305.sfs.

by a quick comparison of the modules in the small-iso and the modules in zp430305.sfs i would state that there are more 'regular' modules missing but i haven't had time to do a full comparison.

aragon

cichlasoma

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep 2009, 08:37    Post subject: X doesn't in Xorg start when booting from CD  

Curiously enough, when I boot from CD, I can run Xwindows only in Xvesa on two different machines (Asus EEEPC and ShuttleX), Xorg doesn't start. When I boot from USB FD created using the same ISO, I can run Xorg. I've tried to burn the CD twice (using different software) for test, it's the same in both cases.

Another issue is, when I boot from CD with pup-430.sfs file saved on HD, Puppy cannot see any network devices having loaded no modules. Deleting the .sfs file from the hard disk helps.

Last edited by cichlasoma on Sat 26 Sep 2009, 04:52; edited 1 time in total
aarf

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep 2009, 09:33    Post subject:  

copying from rxvt can be done by highlighting and then clicking the scroll wheel of the mouse in the desired location BUT if you only have a touch pad you cant copy because ctrl+C doesnt copy any more. Crying or Very sad

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
dio444

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep 2009, 10:19    Post subject: aarf: that's standard behavior and not a bug.  

That's standard behavior for cut-paste from a terminal in X. But there's one thing you didn't know. The middle mouse button can be simulated on a 2-button pointing device with a "chord click" of both buttons at once.

Tom
ARAN

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep 2009, 10:51    Post subject:  

aragon wrote:
as pointed out by aran: frequency scaling is not working in 4.30.

this is a problem for pup-430-small.iso. small seems to miss more modules than i thought. having a scaling-app but no modules is a bug i think.

the regular pup-430.iso does contain the modules in the zp430305.sfs.

by a quick comparison of the modules in the small-iso and the modules in zp430305.sfs i would state that there are more 'regular' modules missing but i haven't had time to do a full comparison.

aragon

Yeah Exactly Aragon.

I have used the small ISO and the CPU is nearly burning down as all modules for CPU Scalling are for some reason missing !

I would suggest as first to dont use the small ISO.

Second problem is for me that even with the regular ISO from Ibiblio the modules for cpu scalling arent loaded and copied to "/lib/modules..."

I have this problem if i boot Puppy in full ram as follow.
"puppy pfix=ram"

Maybe this is just a Latop specific problem dont know.

I have solved the problem by copy the needed cpu scalling modules to the pupsavefile and used the cpu freq scalling gui.
jakfish

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep 2009, 11:34    Post subject: CPU Scaling/Ondemand and Conservative Modules Not Working  

Since this error has been confrimed by Aran, I thought I'd post this in 4.3 bug section.

Although the cpu scaling gui sets things up wonderfully, in an Asus eee 900, only "performance" and "powersave" modules work.

The CPU scaling gui will setup in /root/startup an sh file modprobing ondemand, but when using "cat scaling_governor", "Performance" is the result, meaning the machine is constantly maxed to its top speed. Ditto results after modprobing and installing "conservative" in place of "ondemand".

"echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor"

Only "powersave" and "performance" can be used. Aran confirms this error. Can anybody else?

Jake
gyro

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep 2009, 11:56    Post subject: loop device still in use  

Noticed this strangeness in a frugal install of pup-430.iso:
Code:
# losetup
/dev/loop0: 0 /mnt/tmpfs/pup-430.sfs
/dev/loop1: 0 /mnt/dev_save/pupwoof/pupsave.2fs
/dev/loop3: 0 /mnt/tmpfs2/zp430305.sfs
/dev/loop4: 0 /mnt/dev_save/devx_430.sfs
/dev/loop5: 0 /mnt/dev_save/my-apps-sfs4.sfs
/dev/loop6: 0 /mnt/dev_save/my-apps.sfs
#
the strangeness is "/dev/loop6" is still associated with "/mnt/dev_save/my-apps.sfs", even though it is not mounted.
"/mnt/dev_save/my-apps.sfs" should not be mounted since it is the sfs3 version of "/mnt/dev_save/my-apps-sfs4.sfs", which is mounted as it is supposed to be.
I guess something is not properly cleaning up loop devices.

Of course the only downside is that a loop device is being wasted, so it's not a big problem.

gyro
mawebb88

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep 2009, 12:32    Post subject: wmpoweroff and wmreboot not working  

I found that in the exit section of /root/.jwmrc:

Code:
<Program label="Reboot computer" icon="mini-turn.xpm">exec /usr/X11R7/bin/wmreboot</Program>
<Program label="Power-off computer" icon="mini-stop.xpm">exec /usr/X11R7/bin/wmpoweroff</Program>
<Program label="Restart X server" icon="mini-x.xpm">restartwm</Program>

wmpoweroff and wmreboot do not exist in /usr/X11R7/bin/. They are both in /usr//bin/ so I had to put symlinks in /usr/X11R7/bin/ for them both!

Regards

Mike
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep 2009, 20:03    Post subject:  

Have tried "simple remaster" of 430 small iso.

Cd boots fine, but when trying to use it to make a full install,
I get "Error 2, bad file or directory, when rebooting.

Wireless connection is fast and easy using atheros cards on
430 full iso; takes 2 or more tries with small iso.

Rox files are listed vertically in small iso.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep 2009, 00:03    Post subject: pupdial updated again  

01micko, gyro, purple_ghost, and other pupdial fans,
I upgraded my pupdial fix and refinements, replacing the dotpet I posted yesterday, here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=343886#343886
I added the ability for the user to enter a connection-timeout value into wvdial.conf to protect against inadvertently running up excessive connect-time charges. See my earlier posting for details.
Richard
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep 2009, 00:10    Post subject:  

dunno if reported
but in menus

menu / business / quisp
should read Quisp dynamic
(spelling)

cichlasoma

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep 2009, 01:44    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
copying from rxvt can be done by highlighting and then clicking the scroll wheel of the mouse in the desired location BUT if you only have a touch pad you cant copy because ctrl+C doesnt copy any more. Crying or Very sad

You can download Termit (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39106&sid=ba687a7c1a8d86e47f3c516b194c53d2) or Terminal (included in Xfce http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39637) which offer copying on right click.
tinbeskut

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep 2009, 04:03    Post subject:  

hi to all..

this is my first time writing to this forum althought used puppy over 4 months now and surfing and watching this forum for all my probs..

i'm from malaysia and localization did not match my country

ms malasia

suppose to be my malaysia

*pardon for my broken english coz this is not my mother tongue language..

and i'm seem this new puppy only for user with resolution 4:3 not for 16:9 ... i have to modify xorg to make it work beautifully and yes it did great..

thanks barry and all the peoples who made this great distros...
mawebb88

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep 2009, 05:59    Post subject: Extra drivers for Puppy 4.3 with 2.6.30.5 kernel  

@ tempestuous

Any chance of the specials you did for Eee PC's for the new kernel?

i.e
eee-snd-hda-intel-patched-k2.6.25.16.pet
acpid-Eee-ath_pci.pet (may be its already in 430?)
acpid-Eee-r8180.pet (may be its already in 430?)
acpid-Eee-rt2860sta.pet (may be its already in 430?)
eee-asus_acpi-pciehp-k2.6.25.16.pet
eee-fan-CPU-0.2-k2.6.25.16.pet

I am particularly after the ones for the function keys and CPU/fan stuff.

ref http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34159 for the 2.6.25.16 kernel ones (I used in 412)

Thanks is advance (and sorry of there is already another thread on this but I did not find it)

Rgds Mike
mawebb88

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep 2009, 06:11    Post subject: Editing /root/.jwmrc do not stick  

This is not a specific 430 problem I know but can anyone tell me how I can make my edits of /root/.jwmrc stick?

The problem is that in rthe menu as delivered if you install mplayer from the official repros you get in /root/.jwmrc this:

Code:
<Program label="MPlayer media player" icon="mplayer.xpm">exec mplayershell</Program>

This opens mplayer but it then crashes.

The fix well reported elsewhere is to change this to:

Code:
<Program label="GMPlayer" icon="mplayer.xpm">gmplayer -msglevel all=-1 %U &</Program>

If I manually edit /root/.jwmrc to change the lines then "Restart JWM" everything is fine. But whenever I install (or uninstall) any apps the manual edits get lost and the /root/.jwmrc gets re-built somehow to put the wrong line back.

I am sure there is simple fix but I am still learning so maybe someone knows this fix already?

Rgds Mike
Page 11 of 21 [301 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: