[Solved] jwm theme configuration file : 'jwm_colors' ?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Argolance

[Solved] jwm theme configuration file : 'jwm_colors' ?

#1 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
This 'Theme management' web page, (http://puppylinux.com/technical/themes.htm), gives some pieces of information about the configuration of the window manager/tray 'jwm_colors' and 'jwmrc-theme' files. Though they are 'self-explanatory when you look at them' :shock:, my question is : What are exactly the details of 'jwm_colors' and what is this file used for (... found nothing on the 'jwm joe's window manager's web page http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/config.shtml) ?

Code: Select all

#see /usr/local/jwmconfig2/theme-switcher script.
MENU_BG='#xxxxxx'
ACTIVE_BG='#xxxxxx'
FOREGROUND='#xxxxxx'
PAGER_BG='#xxxxxx'
FG_SELECTED='#xxxxxx'
My questions :

MENU_BG (is it the equivalent of <MenuStyle>...<Background>... of the file 'jwmrc-theme' ?)
ACTIVE_BG (active background of what ? <ActiveBackground> of the <MenuStyle> within 'jwmrc-theme' is a gradient color and not a single one !)
FOREGROUND (foreground of what ?)
PAGER_BG (is it the equivalent of <PagerStyle>...<Background>... of the file jwmrc-theme ?)
FG_SELECTED (foreground of what ?)

(Don't know if it is the right place to ask this question...) :oops:
Nevertheless, thank you for for response !
Last edited by Argolance on Sat 26 Sep 2009, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

Kal

colors file

#2 Post by Kal »

Hi Argolance

On my machine running Puppy 430 with the newer JWM, this is all that I have effected.

This takes place with a theme change. The theme changer is changing the color from the themes color file. The jwm_colors file in /root/.jwm, seems to have no function, except being a copy of /root/.jwm/themes/xxxxx-colors file.

MENU_BG='#XXXXXX' # This is blinky's background color.
PAGER_BG='#XXXXXX' # This is xload's background color.

Kal

Argolance

#3 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir Kal and thank you for your reply.

Could I now ask my question differently ?
So, what are exactly the configuration details of xxx-colors files in general when making any theme ? I quite well understood how to make my xxx-jwmrc files but not the xxx.colors ones ! Looking at existing *-colors files, I guess I didn't see any logical in the choice of the colors: they don't strictly match with the xxx-jwmrc file colors...
My english is a 'bit' poor : What do you mean when saying:
blinky's and xload's background colors ?
Sorry !
Thank you for your attention.
Last edited by Argolance on Tue 22 Sep 2009, 20:00, edited 4 times in total.

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

Port-Brillet looks wonderful.............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Kal

#5 Post by Kal »

Argolance

Most of the colors are controlled by the /root/.jwm/themes/Gradient-grey-jwmrc, like files. You will find the colors thru out the files ending with -jwmrc.

Note, I use at the main menu>Graphic>Gcolor2 color chooser, a nice program for getting the color you want. Two colors like this: #FFFFFF:#000000 with a colon in between are gradient. Make a copy of the file and save it before playing, for backup!

To test a file, run in terminal the command "jwm -p" (no quotes).

This is the top of Gradient-grey-jwmrc as an example:

<WindowStyle>
   <Font>DejaVu Sans-11:bold</Font>
   <Width>3</Width>
   <Height>22</Height>     
  <Active>
     <Text>white</Text>
      <Title>#C7C7C7:#565448</Title>      # Colors active title, top of window                  <Outline>#696969</Outline>                     #Color window outline
    </Active>
    <Inactive>
       <Text>black</Text>
       <Title>#FFFFFF:#C4C4C4</Title>   #Colors Inactive title
       <Outline>black</Outline>                   #Color Inactive window outline
    </Inactive>
</WindowStyle> 

If you are using the newest Puppy 4.30, there is a gui program for configuring a number of the colors, called "JWM Theme Maker" under Main Menu>Desktop.

Xload is a graphical display application in the tray, located next to the clock. The color is for background of the graph.

Blinky is the icon with the two little monitors with the faces that flash when the network is active in the tray. The color is for the background to the icon.

Hope that Helps, Kal

Argolance

#6 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
Hope that Helps
... Nearly !
In my previous reply, I wrote :
I quite well understood how to make my xxx-jwmrc files but not the xxx.colors ones !
xxx-colors files are my problem. Now I know (thanks to you !) what are MENU_BG and PAGER_BG colors but ACTIVE_BG, FOREGROUND and FG_SELECTED are remaining...

Regards.
Attachments
xxx_colors.jpg
(17.48 KiB) Downloaded 1059 times
Last edited by Argolance on Wed 23 Sep 2009, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot

#7 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Just a quick browse through ...

These parameters are part of the individual puppy jwm themes. They will be overwritten with the selected theme colors from jwm theme switcher.

These values does not affect JWM. They were meant for applets to know the current colors used so they will show the correct background/foreground colors. I believe that throughout the years they were used by applets that have come and go ... So, only some is still in use ... For ex: absvolume used to require BG color specified but not anymore ...

Just ensure the values matches the theme colors and you're good to go ...

Rgds

Kal

#8 Post by Kal »

Argolance,

As Best I can read, /usr/local/jwmconfig2/theme_switcher file, those other line items in the xxxx-colors files in the themes, seem not to be call upon or are over ridden by the xxxxxx-jwmrc files in themes directory.

So, I believe we are worrying over nothing on line items in the colors files, that seem not to work.

One other application uses the MENU_BG='#XXXXXX' in the colors files and that is absvolume, which is the tray volume control in the same area as blinky. My motherboard cannot use absvolume, so I don't have it, but uses kmix instead from KDE.

When making a theme for JWM, I have never changed any of the other colors in there, except for the two we know about.

Good Luck, Kal

Ps: Oh, I totally agree with the expert post above.

Argolance

#9 Post by Argolance »

Hello !
I tried something I didn't think of earlier (silly guy !) : Simply choose flashy colors as shown below :

#see /usr/local/jwmconfig2/theme-switcher script.
MENU_BG='#ff0000'
ACTIVE_BG='#ff00ff'
FOREGROUND='#00ffff'
PAGER_BG='#00ff00'
FG_SELECTED='#ffff00'
... and see !

I confirm : MENU_BG have a repercussion on both blinky's and absvolume background colors (Concerning xload, I don't know because I have not got it in my task bar :shock: !). The others don't have any repercussion on something I could see...

Thanks everybody !