boxpup 413 problem with editing.wbar

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcoyne

boxpup 413 problem with editing.wbar

#1 Post by gcoyne »

Hi all.

I am relatively new to Puppy Linux and trying out a couple of the versions. I like Boxpup but I dont seem to be able to edit .wbar.

I have successfully edited .wbar in Macpup but when I try this in Boxpup, save the file and reboot the xserver or fully reboot, the wbar disappears.

This seems to happen if I change the order of entries or add new applications.

The only edit that has been successful was the removing of one application altogether.

Can anyone help?

CatDude

Re: boxpup 413 problem with editing.wbar

#2 Post by CatDude »

Hello gcoyne

Welcome to the kennels.
gcoyne wrote: I have successfully edited .wbar in Macpup but when I try this in Boxpup, save the file and reboot the xserver or fully reboot, the wbar disappears.

This seems to happen if I change the order of entries or add new applications.
I just installed Boxpup-413 to see what the crack is,
and i did not have any trouble at all editing the wbar (see attached image)
so i am not sure why you are having problems.

CatDude
Attachments
Boxpup413-wbar.png
(85.61 KiB) Downloaded 1469 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

gcoyne

Problem solved

#3 Post by gcoyne »

Thanks for trying it out for me. This inspired me to have another go at resolving it and i found the problem. I was trying to setup wbar for an application I had downloaded, I had located the binary file and the icon and included paths to these two files in the wbar file. What I discovered by playing with different icons etc was that the wbar file could not locate the icon I had set and when this happened no wbar was displayed at all. The path was to a sub-directory of .usr. When I moved the icon to a sub-directory of usr and reset the path everything worked fine. I am not sure if it was a problem with the location or a problem with my path address. I was not clear whether the path to .usr
is
/.usr/
or
/root/.usr/

I tried both but neither seemed to work.

Anyway I have cracked it now, so although you did not give me an exact solution, the fact that you tried it out meant that it was not a problem with Boxpup 413 and made me look at it again. So thanks for your help.

Greg.