Remastering 4.3 Final with Dougal's Pupremaster

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
DaveS

Remastering 4.3 Final with Dougal's Pupremaster

#1 Post by DaveS »

If you like remastering using Dougals re-master script (Pupremaster), which is NOT included with 4.3, there are two issues you must take care of.
First, the resulting re-mastered file will be wrongly named as pup_430.sfs. It should be pup-430.sfs, note the hyphen instead of the incorrect underscore. You must re-name to pup-430.sfs.
Secondly, the process will bork the package manager, which is a little different in 4.3.
The solution is to make a copy of the hidden directory /root/.packages before you begin the process, then use this back-up to overwrite the .packages directory in the re-mastered version.
Otherwise, the process is smooth.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Thanks for the info...i find dougal's script is great for remastering from full installs

mike

DaveS

#3 Post by DaveS »

I like using it because the inbuilt re-master system always takes me back to a standard JWM, which is not great if like me, you have a customised JWM. Dougals script preserves it all for me.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tlchost

#4 Post by tlchost »

DaveS wrote: like me, you have a customised JWM. Dougals script preserves it all for me.
dougal's is also great if you have custom stuff in /etc and /root My first experience with a remaster was to loose hours of work in scripts in /root.

No more....I add Dougal's to every puppy version I have.

Thom

DaveS

#5 Post by DaveS »

tlchost wrote:
DaveS wrote: like me, you have a customised JWM. Dougals script preserves it all for me.
dougal's is also great if you have custom stuff in /etc and /root My first experience with a remaster was to loose hours of work in scripts in /root.

No more....I add Dougal's to every puppy version I have.

Thom
Unlike Dougals, the standard system does seem to miss the point of re-mastering a bit does'nt it...................
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tlchost

#6 Post by tlchost »

DaveS wrote: Unlike Dougals, the standard system does seem to miss the point of re-mastering a bit does'nt it...................
I'm not that technical, but for the life of me I can't figure out why command prompt users are "left out in the cold". I have a very simple menu system that handles a lot...and for ssh and some other stuff, it's so much easier than the desktop.

Must be 'cause I'm old....started using this stuff way before there was an IBM PC (8 inch floppies)...and suffered shock when I had to "unlearn" CP/M

Oh Well, back to the button hook factory...maybe I can sneak in a few buggy whips right after the shift change.

Thom

tlchost

Re: Remastering 4.3 Final with Dougal (Pupremaster)

#7 Post by tlchost »

DaveS wrote:If you like remastering using Dougals re-master script (Pupremaster), which is NOT included with 4.3, there are two issues you must take care of.
First, the resulting re-mastered file will be wrongly named as pup_430.sfs. It should be pup-430.sfs, note the hyphen instead of the incorrect underscore. You must re-name to pup-430.sfs.
Secondly, the process will bork the package manager, which is a little different in 4.3.
Has anyone modifed Dougal's script to take care of the renaming issue and the package manager?

Would a solution be to use the default remaster script and:

Delete /tmp/root and then do a recursive copy of /root to /tmp/root and
then the same with the /tmp/etc?

What I've done is to copy /root and /etc to an external drive....and use that to preserve my settings.

I use a bootable USB drive and JRBs SFLinker...it keeps the size of the save file reasonable and offers all sorts of options beyond what I'd have with pet files.

Thom

runtt21

#8 Post by runtt21 »

Didn't Dougals re-master script have problems with xvesa at one time. i.e. the new .iso would have problems running xvesa.

tlchost

#9 Post by tlchost »

runtt21 wrote:Didn't Dougals re-master script have problems with xvesa at one time. i.e. the new .iso would have problems running xvesa.
I never had a problem with it and xvesa.

panzerpuppy

#10 Post by panzerpuppy »

Is there a version of RemaX (.PET) package for Puppy 4.31 ?

The remaster script that was included in 4.2.1 was perfect, much better than Barry's standard version.

Sylvander

#11 Post by Sylvander »

".i find dougal's script is great for remastering from full installs"
Are there instructions for doing that?
I managed to run pupremaster.sh [within BoxPup], but became unsure [after choosing "Simple", then a working area] when asked to supply the files to be used to create a new ISO to be used to burn a new live optical disk [choices = CD, directory, no ISO].

Surely all files needed should be supplied by the BoxPup conventional installation. :?

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Smart gives you customising options...eg editing /root and /etc
Surely all files needed should be supplied by the BoxPup conventional installation
well if you choose to make an iso some parts need to come from the original iso or cd such as initrd.gz.

Even if you only make the pup_xxx.sfs you need parts of the original sfs such as /var , /mnt and such...the script is to make a fresh bootable puppy cd not a full install image....from which of course you could make a fresh full install...so the result has to be in the format of the original puppy iso.

mike

Sylvander

#13 Post by Sylvander »

I used ISOMaster to extract the files from the BoxPup ISO file, and used those to complete the remaster, but once done, BoxPup wouldn't load and run from the CD.
"Kernel panic" mentioned...
Not enough RAM [256MB] to hold the contents of the 389.2MB pup_413.sfs file?

Ah well, it was an interesting exercise. :D

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

Not enough RAM [256MB] to hold the contents of the 389.2MB pup_413.sfs file?
In such a case its not loaded to ram but mounted from the cd (or hard drive).

Another reason for failure.....I tend to test isos using qemu rather than burning cd's. Kernel panic usually suggests missing files or corruption. Was there plenty of room to build the remaster such as a hard drive rather than in the puppy file system.

mike

Sylvander

#15 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Was there plenty of room to build the remaster such as a hard drive rather than in the puppy file system"
Yes, there was plenty of room; I put the files on an 8GB spare ext3 Linux partition on the internal IDE HDD.
There are 2.5GiB free even after the files have been put on there.

Should I hold off deleting those files?

BoxPup is on a separate 3GiB ext3 partition.
[I notice the free space on that has dropped from 1.5GiB to 859MiB]
The files extracted from the ISO are on a 24GiB FAT32 partition with 6GiB free.

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

No you can delete them.

AlI can suggest is try again......perhaps testing frugally just the pup_431.sfs by adding a menu entry

mike

Sylvander

#17 Post by Sylvander »

Hmm, I see something interesting.

1. I booted using a Puppy-4.31.1 live CD+pupsave.

2. Ran SpaceMonger->[under WINE] and displayed the space usage of the contents of the BoxPup partition on sda3.

3. There's a HUGE space usage by:
/mnt/sda3/mnt/sda8/puppylivecdbuild
But that should be [and isn't] on sda8.
Don't know how that went wrong, but it doesn't [or shouldn't] matter, because there's still enough free space on sda3.
I'll now delete that folder and all its contents.

Sylvander

#18 Post by Sylvander »

Just now rebooted back into BoxPup on sda3...
And the free space is back up to 1.6GiB. :D

PANZERKOPF

#19 Post by PANZERKOPF »

Added compatibility with 4.3x versions.
Use at own risk.
Attachments
pupremaster.gz
(9.63 KiB) Downloaded 792 times

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

3. There's a HUGE space usage by:
/mnt/sda3/mnt/sda8/puppylivecdbuild
that is where the remaster is created...it does not include itself and normally you rebuild the iso with it, or move it to the frugal install and delete once done

mike