Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 17:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Drivers
Epson scanner driver
Page 1 of 3 [32 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 03 May 2009, 07:28    Post subject:  Epson scanner driver
Subject description: Especially for those who owns Epson TX100

Hi,

I have compiled the epson scanner driver for puppy 4.1.2 compatible (built in fatdog but since it doesn't use any special kernel modules I believe it will work with any 4.1.2 derivative or may be even 4.2). I have an epson tx100 and this driver is meant for that, but see the attached epkowa.desc (extracted from the source tarball) for full list of supported scanners. If your scanner is not in the list don't bother to read further.
Source is taken from here http://www.avasys.jp, version 2.1.9.0-4.

It contains Epson's own gui (iscan - you can find it in the graphics submenu) or you can use xsane too, if you wish. I also create a symlink for gimp so that you can scan image directly to gimp (use the File-Acquire menu).
The pet contains all the dependencies (or so I would like to believe Very Happy ), but after installation you need to do one more thing. Edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and add "epkowa" at the very end of the file.

Note: this only takes care of "scanner" functionality of TX100. The "printing" part is taken care by gutenprint-5.2.3 dotpet (available elsewhere in this forum, or in puppy's official repository).

EDIT: thanks for MU and Caneri, download is available from here:
dotpet http://dotpups.de/puppy4/dotpups/Multimedia/iscan-2.19.0-i486.pet
sources http://dotpups.de/puppy4/dotpups/Multimedia/iscan_2.19.0-4.tar.gz

mirror:
dotpet http://puppyfiles.ca/dotpupsde/puppy4/dotpups/Multimedia/iscan-2.19.0-i486.pet
sources http://puppyfiles.ca/dotpupsde/puppy4/dotpups/Multimedia/iscan_2.19.0-4.tar.gz

Note: I created the symlink for gimp 2.0 plugin directory. If you have another version of gimp (or if gimp is installed in /usr/local instead of /usr), you need to create the symlink yourself from /usr/bin/iscan.

cheers!
epkowa.gz
Description  list of supported scanners, use "zcat epkowa.gz | less" to read the content. Otherwise just download and extract it.
gz

Download 
Filename  epkowa.gz 
Filesize  4.69 KB 
Downloaded  1658 Time(s) 

kjdixo

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep 2009, 17:54    Post subject: Epson Scanner Driver
Subject description: Installed on SX100

jamesbond
Thanks for making installation of my SX100 Epson scanner incredibly easy. Installing onto the PUP_425 I just downloaded was a doddle.
I followed your instructions and when it didn't work reread your instructions.

I had missed this bit which is very important:

"after installation you need to do one more thing. Edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and add "epkowa" at the very end of the file".

I have experience of installing an SX100 and an SX400 scanner printer on Linux Mint and Xubuntu and I must say that I found installing to Puppy much easier thanks to your efforts. I was also amazed by Puppy's Printer Wizard with Easy Software's GUI. I didn't have to do anything, unlike other Linux distros where it can be a 48 hour battle to get stuff working. Instant success here.

I have been away from Puppy Linux for more than 2 years, but got very familiar with it in 2007 even burning my own live cd. The cd had XFCE and Thunar, I still have that disc but want to try doing another version.

I won't digress any further.
Thanks for this.
Kevin Dixon
England UK.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep 2009, 08:47    Post subject:  

No worries Kevin. I am only standing on the shoulder of the giants. All I do is to try to contribute back in anyway I can. I'm happy to hear that it has helped you Very Happy
john biles

PostPosted: Fri 18 Sep 2009, 10:06    Post subject:  

Hello jamesbond,
Excellent I have installed it as I brought a Epson TX-100 6 months ago.

One question, can this be used with any other Scanners?

Are there more drivers available?

Do you know of any app that can make the TX-100 move its Ink cartridge to the correct position to allow replacement of the Ink cartidges.

At the moment I have to start Windows XP just to replace the ink, not good.

Update: Sorry jamesbond, I should have unzipped the supported scanners file first.

John Lewis

PostPosted: Tue 24 Nov 2009, 10:21    Post subject:  

Thanks, jamesbond.
I just tried your package in Puppy 4.3.1 on my wife's laptop. The scanner is now working as is the printer. She is very happy.

john biles: With the printer on but not in use momentarily press the stop button. The ink caddy will move and line the empty ink cartridge up with the little pointer to show which is empty. The next quick press will show the next and so on. When all empties have been shown the final quick press will cause the caddy to move to the position where it is possible to remove and replace cartridges.

Hope that makes sense.

John Lewis
gronos04

PostPosted: Tue 24 Nov 2009, 23:23    Post subject:  

Tried it on puppy 4.3.1
It's a bloody miracle, it works on the Epson TX100.
Slight digression which may help somebody
Bought a generic black cartridge which I installed but the out of ink light just kept blinking.
Force and vehemence was good for me but not the printer.
Took out ALL of the ink catridges and put them back in from left to right and it was ready to go.
Many thanks for the package
john biles

PostPosted: Wed 25 Nov 2009, 09:22    Post subject:  

Hello John Lewis,
I'll try it next time I run out of ink Very Happy

russoodle

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 03:02    Post subject: Epson Stylus Photo RX650 MF Inkjet
Subject description: iScan on Puppy 4.3.1 - Stardust 013

Thank you very much, jamesbond! Very Happy

It's a versatile driver, obviously not confined to use on the TX100 models (as per above subject line), nor just on Puppy 4.1.2....you've done an excellent job.

This should make for many happy Epson users, especially as it was so easy to do....worked first try on frugal install of Ziggy's Stardust 013.on Thinkpad T42P (see screenie below).

Having had no joy with Xsane (insane) in the past, i'd resigned myself to scanning only on the Mac but Puppy prevails once again Laughing

Thanks to CatDude for finding your pet and pointing me in the right direction.....this supportive community really rocks!

WOOF!
EpScan-Stardust013.jpg
 Description   The iScan interface for RX650 MultiFunction inkjet
 Filesize   49.36 KB
 Viewed   2909 Time(s)

EpScan-Stardust013.jpg

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 22 May 2010, 12:25    Post subject:  

Here is the Epson scanner software updated to v2.29.x. There are two packages below.

The epkowa-2.29.x.pet contains the basic driver. You can use it with Xsane or Peasyscan.

Open the file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and comment out the lines "epson" and "epson2". Verify that "epkowa" has been added to the end of the file.

The iscan-2.29.x.pet contains Epson's own Iscan scanning program. The installer adds a menu item under Graphic. It also has a Gimp plugin.

If your unit is networked, Iscan/Xsane/Peasyscan can detect it via its IP address. Open the file /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf and add the following line at the end:
Code:
net aaa.bbb.cc.dd
epkowa-2.29.3.1.pet
Description  Updated 2014-04-15
pet

Download 
Filename  epkowa-2.29.3.1.pet 
Filesize  147.79 KB 
Downloaded  128 Time(s) 
iscan-2.29.1.5.pet
Description  Updated 2013-05-08
pet

Download 
Filename  iscan-2.29.1.5.pet 
Filesize  242.64 KB 
Downloaded  622 Time(s) 

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 24 Apr 2014, 08:09; edited 32 times in total
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 23 May 2010, 07:55    Post subject:  

I'm happy that my little contribution is useful to others. It's just a token for paying back all the help, hospitality and generosity I found here in this forum, this community. Very Happy

rcrsn51, thanks for updating the scanner driver.

cheers!

shinobar

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov 2010, 07:15    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
The epkowa-2.26.0.pet below contains the latest version of Epson's scanner driver and has been tested in Quirky/Wary/Lupu.

Great Exclamation
Works with Epson PX-A720 on LupQ-511.

simes

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2011, 12:48    Post subject: Drivers needed for more recent Epson scanners  

I appreciate all the effort that has gone into making the EPKOWA package to easily support Epson scanners. However, as expected, there are newer scanners for which AVASYS has released drivers. Can the .pet be updated with these newer drivers please? Specifically, I have an Epson Perfection V330, which is product id=0x0142. The command sane-find-scanner detects it but the driver is not in EPKOWA. Thanks if anyone can help.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2011, 12:57    Post subject:  

[Edit] The V330 requires an additional plugin package. Read here.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 12 May 2013, 10:27; edited 4 times in total
simes

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 16:32    Post subject: Epson V330 scanner  

Hello John, thanks for the fast reply. Yes, I am using the epkowa-2.26.0.pet. I tried editing /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf as you suggest. (I also edited /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and added "epkowa" at the end of the file, as advised up-thread.) With the change to epkowa.conf, xsane no longer reports 'no scanners found' but unfortunately it crashes after about 20 seconds. Iscan simply hangs. So I guess it does need a new driver. Thank you very much for offering.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 17:10    Post subject: Re: Epson V330 scanner  

simes wrote:
Hello John

Who's that?
Quote:
Yes, I am using the epkowa-2.26.0.pet. I tried editing /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf as you suggest. (I also edited /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and added "epkowa" at the end of the file, as advised up-thread.)

I'm confused. If you are actually using the epkowa-2.26.0.pet, it would have automatically updated the dll.conf file. Are you sure you got the right package?

Quote:
With the change to epkowa.conf, xsane no longer reports 'no scanners found' but unfortunately it crashes after about 20 seconds.

I will post a new package.
Page 1 of 3 [32 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Drivers
Jump to: