Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
puppyite

#121 Post by puppyite »

walter90 wrote:Overwhelmingly I am very satisfied with my Puppy 4.2. I don't like, however, that I can't just copy and paste as I could in Windows. I also would like to see a comprehensive manual included in the release. :D
Try this: Open two ROX-Filer windows. Drag & drop files and / or folders between them.

TuxCommander and Xfe both two pane file managers ready for install by downloading, clicking the pet files.
Last edited by puppyite on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

omskates

Beefing up PET and honing the How To section

#122 Post by omskates »

Puppy Linux is a great concept and has an excellent forum community. I love how snappy it has made our older Lenovo Thinkpad. The pop-up tutoring boxes are brilliant. I'd love to see the how-to videos updated to match newer releases. The PET package manager is brilliant as well and I agree with Anniekin that its to bad there's not more apps there. Is it a matter of difficulty compiling apps for the database, time, or willing participants?

I think when you are new and crossing over to a Linux Distro you're likely to have had experience with a machine pre-installed with Windows for you. Someone has already done all the work for your devices, adding drivers, codecs, players, video etc etc. and now you're faced with doing an OS install on your own. Except you're not really on your own because the community is there to make it possible for you. Has any one done a Vista or XP install from scratch on their 5 year old PC lately? (real question cause I don't use Windows, never have).

One thing that has kept me with Ubuntu is that I know I can always go to this maintained Ubuntu forum thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 by UBUNTU-FREAK who keeps it updated continuously and never fails to keep my Ubuntu OS running flawlessly. Keeping the "How To" section here in the Puppy forum updated and with clear Topics for easy reference I think is very important. I think it could be confusing as many of the "How To" threads seem to be discussion rather than clearly defined, step by step, instructions. If these could be moved to another section with a link like, "For discussion and questions on this How To Guide click here" and restricting the posts to being actuall "How To" guides intended for updating and maintenance. I noticed a lot of posts on this "Newbies" thread have concerns about this issue so I just wanted to bring it up.

I hope to be able to contribute more productively in the future.
Best Regards all!

mikeb

#123 Post by mikeb »

Is it a matter of difficulty compiling apps for the database, time, or willing participants?
Puppy focus is on making a selfcontained OS + apps that fulfills most needs rather than as a building block to build on. Plus since it changes significantly from version to version package compatability becomes a problem.
Has any one done a Vista or XP install from scratch on their 5 year old PC lately?
Yes ...It was easy..everything just worked. (9years old, XP SP3)

mike

puppyite

Re: Beefing up PET and honing the How To section

#124 Post by puppyite »

omskates wrote:Puppy Linux is a great concept
More than a concept, it's a reality.
I love how snappy it has made our older Lenovo Thinkpad.
It's snappier because it's no longer burdened with bloatware OS.
The PET package manager is brilliant as well and I agree with Anniekin that its to bad there's not more apps there.
Everything you seek is likely available in this forum or just ask and someone may make a pet to meet your need.
I think when you are new and crossing over to a Linux Distro you're likely to have had experience with a machine pre-installed with Windows for you.
And the world is a better place for it (sarcasm RE: Windows experience).
Has any one done a Vista or XP install from scratch on their 5 year old PC lately?
XP maybe but Vista? Why would they bother too? The result would surely be unsatisfactory.
(real question cause I don't use Windows, never have).
Real question: What've you been using?
One thing that has kept me with Ubuntu is that I know I can always go to this maintained Ubuntu forum thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 by UBUNTU-FREAK who keeps it updated continuously and never fails to keep my Ubuntu OS running flawlessly.
A thread like that for Puppy would be redundant since those things work right out of the box.
Keeping the "How To" section here in the Puppy forum updated and with clear Topics for easy reference I think is very important. I think it could be confusing as many of the "How To" threads seem to be discussion rather than clearly defined, step by step, instructions. If these could be moved to another section with a link like, "For discussion and questions on this How To Guide click here" and restricting the posts to being actuall "How To" guides intended for updating and maintenance.
Restrictions are not part of the Puppy vocabulary but I hear what you say.
I hope to be able to contribute more productively in the future.
Best Regards all!
Best Wishes to You!

TIP:

Code: Select all

[url=http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683]http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683[/url]
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

bones01

#125 Post by bones01 »

I haven't read through all the pages, but here are a few thoughts from someone who is persevering with Puppy, even though it really annoys me sometimes.

I love the live cd stuff. That I can take a cd anywhere and boot into a computer, do what I need to do (even on the Net) and then leave, is fantastic. The variety of programs is great too.

And the support on the forum is sensational.

Some of the things that make me want to give up:
.pup .pet tar.gz .deb and so on. These different file types are confusing to people who are used to looking for a .exe file. I know this represents an evolution of sorts, but I did get lost when I started. (Still not sure about tar.gz)

Grub - confusing.

Puppy Numbers. Is 4.2 in improvement on 4.0? Why are some people working on Puppy 5.0 and others on improving 2.17 or something like that. Is there an advantage to the old Puppy that I don't know about?

Computer Language - I still get lost, and this was what made it hard to start and keep going. When a newbie is confused, jargon really makes it hard.

The search - perhaps because the forum is so big, but the search results in either the forum or from the front page aren't so great. It would be great to be able to narrow them down.

(Why isn't there a link to puppylinux.org from the forum page?)

Anyway, there are a few issues. On the up side, I love the puplets, and have tried a few. And once I got over not understanding and just kept asking questions, I found the people who respond in the forums to be terrific.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Aitch

#126 Post by Aitch »

Hi Bones
bones01 wrote:The search - perhaps because the forum is so big, but the search results in either the forum or from the front page aren't so great. It would be great to be able to narrow them down.

(Why isn't there a link to puppylinux.org from the forum page?)

You obviously haven't spotted this thread [bookmark it :wink: ]

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29754

The most useful forum search is 2nd: wellminded, IMHO

and the link to puppylinux.org is an easy 'Community Website Here' link

Aitch :)

puppyite

#127 Post by puppyite »

bones01 wrote:Puppy Numbers. Is 4.2 in improvement on 4.0? Why are some people working on Puppy 5.0 and others on improving 2.17 or something like that. Is there an advantage to the old Puppy that I don't know about?
Explained: Puppy Version Numbers
Computer Language - I still get lost, and this was what made it hard to start and keep going. When a newbie is confused, jargon really makes it hard.
Acronym Finder

Aitch

#128 Post by Aitch »

puppyite

Have added those in your sig to the search page, thanks

puppyite

#129 Post by puppyite »

Aitch wrote:puppyite

Have added those in your sig to the search page, thanks

That's great. You're welcome. What search page, where?

Aitch

#130 Post by Aitch »

What search page, where?
What!! Gasp!! :wink:

Everyone should know & have bookmarked the Search page by now :)

see my previous post to bones

omskates

#131 Post by omskates »

puppyite wrote:More than a concept, it's a reality.
Thankyou, I misuse that word frequently :lol: but intended it towards something that is dynamically changing and reaching future goals. I appreciate your attitude and quick responses, it reveals your dedication.
Everything you seek is likely available in this forum or just ask and someone may make a pet to meet your need.

I usually do spend a good amount of time seeking on my own before asking someone on a forum, so again thankyou. Do you feel the PET package manager is adequate or is there other 'easy access' methods for installing apps in puppy?

XP maybe but Vista? Why would they bother too? The result would surely be unsatisfactory.
Because they may be non-informed and do not know their options. People put the wrong oil in their cars all the time but that wasn't my point. :P Point is that there are many factors that create Linuxphobia and the misconceptions concerning installation is among them.

puppyite wrote: Real question: What've you been using?

Ubuntu for the last 12 years. Macs in the early 90s, the Commodore 64 and Commodore PET in the 80s. You'd think I know what I'm doing but honostly I'm still pretty much dependent on searching forums etc. to answer my questions.

One thing that has kept me with Ubuntu is that I know I can always go to this maintained Ubuntu forum thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 by UBUNTU-FREAK who keeps it updated continuously and never fails to keep my Ubuntu OS running flawlessly.
puppyite wrote: A thread like that for Puppy would be redundant since those things work right out of the box.
Clarification; just a suggestion for maintaining "How To" threads in general not the "Multi Media" content in particular, but YES I love how many things work "out of the box".
Restrictions are not part of the Puppy vocabulary but I hear what you say.
"Restrictions" may not be be the best term, I agree that creativity can be hampered. Was thinking more like clearly identifying the currently accepted directions for each "How To" without all the baggage hanging off them. Thanks for the understanding and thanks for the great responses and tips, you guys rock! The acronym finder is awesome.

puppyite

#132 Post by puppyite »

Aitch wrote:
What search page, where?
What!! Gasp!! :wink:

Everyone should know & have bookmarked the Search page by now :)

see my previous post to bones

Thank you Aitch.

I wonder if I might persuade you to modify the link in that post so it points to the Scroogle scraper. Here's the address:

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

I think if people land on the search page first they're more likely to try it. The Scroogle site employs humor to offset the seriousness of the threat posed by privacy violation. If people land on the home page first I fear some might think it's a joke and never try the search engine. Which would be a shame because it's a surrogate for Google sans ads, cookies, IP records and other privacy invasions. And it's way faster than Google too!

Thank You Aitch

SelftaughtGeek

Newbie Feedback

#133 Post by SelftaughtGeek »

Finally had enough Windows, been promising myself for years that I would find a viable alternative. Came across Linux a few years back and was quite simply baffled - I can develop office applications in VBA but understand where to start with Linux? Had me scratching my head. This time though with my now ancient laptop taking 30 minutes to boot up Windows 2000 it was time to persevere and I thought it can't be that difficult and decided on using a small distro. I liked the idea of an OS on a disk that would not interfere with my terminally ill Win 2K machine.
So first I found DSL appeared to be just what I needed. First version I tried wouldn't boot, second version did but no sound and dodgy graphics. Was just about to throw the whole thing in the bin when I found Puppy.
Made my first Puppy4 CD, popped it in, and WOW it just worked. Within 5 minutes I was on the net via a PCMCIA Wifi card and was exploring all the applications built into this amazing little package.

So my feedback then:
Tell me more about what all the built in packages do - e.g. I want a webpage editor as my Dreamweaver won't work in Linux. Spent ages trying to find a suitable PET then yesterday found that Seamonkey has a built in HTML editor - good enough for what I want, just wish I had found it sooner. Sorry guys but Composer sounds like something I would manipulate sound files with not HTML ones

Love the fact that I can convert documents to PDF - couldn't do that on Windows without an expensive extra application

Also spent too long trying to get WINE to work with Puppy 4 (wanted to use Dreamweaver but now no need) so I have given up on that.

Printing is a whole different game in Linux and sods law neither of my current printers are compatible - A Canon i350 and a Lexmark all in one X4580 - Gonna have to keep one windows platform for now. Looked at all the ways to link to a Windows Printer but as they all seem to need the Windows PC turned on it's easier to save my file onto a USB Flash drive and swap machines to print anything - this may be a solution I use for a while.

My laptop doesn’t support booting to USB so I am stuck with keeping Puppy on a CD - which is fine but annoying when you realise that you haven’t got the CD in and want to start the laptop and cant open the drive. Have looked at creating a boot floppy that then lets me open the cd drive but haven’t worked out how to do this yet - GRUB remains a mystery

The Wifi connection works ok but has a nasty habit of losing the profile and needing it to be reloaded half way through a session.

Love being able to add widgets to my desktop and customise them, looks more like Vista than ever now and Seamonkey has tabbed browsing (never managed to get IE7 working so had switched to Firefox on my Windows machines to get tabbed browsing)

Wish Seamonkey was compatible with McAfee Site Advisor like Firefox is, but as Seamonkey has so much in it already can't see me switching just for the addon given the extra memory requirement.

Did I tell you I love the way most of it "just works"

Definitely converted but can't totally give up Windows until I work out:

1) Puppy on a USB for my main desktop to boot from
2) Printing - so basic but a real issue
3) Find a list of all the built in apps that tells me exactly what they do and how to use them

As for the forum itself - you do a great job with loads of useful information here - only one gripe, with so many versions now in use posts should easily identify which version of Puppy it relates to

Sorry rather longwinded

STG
Everything I know I found out for myself but only after some kind person pointed out the way.
I'm not really a Geek, just hate things that don't work

Eathray

From a newbee, making Puppy better

#134 Post by Eathray »

I had a heck of a time getting my sound card to work. I tried one thing after another, and, being a newbee, did not understand most of what I was trying. I read and read and read some more, but so much what I was looking at was utterly foreign.

Aitch held my hand while I was trying to get it figured out. That helped tremendously. Number one has got to be people willing to listen to stupid questions and be patient with newbees when we just don't get it.

Number two, we need a little out of the box help. Getting Puppy to the place where all hardware and basic functions work from the beginning would be outstanding. The fancy stuff can be mastered as you go. (I think it's almost there, by the way. The sound card thing was very tricky though).

last, clear instructions for ignoramuses like myself who have absolutely no Linux knowledge or abilities. I could not have figured out my sound without the forums, but having said that, it was an exhausting amount of work digging out what I was looking for. Really could use something more concise and easily search-able. Something that includes an exhaustive lexicon/concordance/dictionary of terms.

Them's my thoughts.

Eth

puppyite

#135 Post by puppyite »

omskates wrote:Do you feel the PET package manager is adequate or are there other 'easy access' methods for installing apps in puppy?
All you need do is download a .pet file, open ROX-Filer, then click on: hypothetical.pet and allow the install to proceed. As an aside you can download and install packages in Ubuntu sans a package manager with the same method. Here's a useful app you won't find in the package manager: HardInfo

Ubuntu users are acclimated to the concept of installing everything from their package manager and when they don't find what they want in Puppy Package Manager they interpret it as a deficiency. To find .pet files you may: Visit Additional Software (PUPs, n' stuff) in this forum. Search this forum for .pet files or if that's not enough then do the same search with your favorite search engine.
Point is that there are many factors that create Linuxphobia and the misconceptions concerning installation is among them.
OS installations give average users palpitations and for them a Linux install is equally foreboding. If they accomplish these techniques they can make make the transition (this is intended for audience, you obviously know how to do the following):

1 Download Puppy Linux ISO file.
2 Use a burning app to burn the ISO file onto a CD or DVD and thus create a Live disc.
3 Set boot order in BIOS so the optical drive is first.
4 Put the Live disc in the drive, reboot and start exploring the wonder that is Puppy Linux.

To install Puppy, newbies may start by choosing a frugal install. It combines the safety of Live boot with the advantages of permanent install and none of the problems that might arise from a botched full install.

AFAIK the frugal install is unique among Linux distros and is just one of the aspects that makes Puppy Linux stand head and shoulders above all others. IMO Puppy Linux is the perfect choice for anyone.
You'd think I know what I'm doing but honestly I'm still pretty much dependent on searching forums etc. to answer my questions.
To varying degrees that's true of everyone, myself included. Sometimes I like to go it alone and as long as my backups are up to date I'm ready to experiment.
Was thinking more like clearly identifying the currently accepted directions for each "How To" without all the baggage hanging off them.
As a suggestion I recommend you join the Puppy Linux wikki and move How To articles from this forum into the appropriate Category there.
Thanks for the understanding and thanks for the great responses and tips, you guys rock! The acronym finder is awesome.
Speaking for myself you're welcome. Nice talking to you.
Last edited by puppyite on Thu 17 Sep 2009, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

SelftaughtGeek

Re: From a newbee, making Puppy better

#136 Post by SelftaughtGeek »

Eathray wrote:I had a heck of a time getting my sound card to work. I tried one thing after another, and, being a newbee, did not understand most of what I was trying. I read and read and read some more, but so much what I was looking at was utterly foreign.

Eth
I know what you mean by understanding what you are doing - glad my hardware all worked out of the box, I don't mind fiddling but most of what I am reading is a new language to me. GRUB still eludes me and I am sure I could improve my boot up options if I understood it properly.

I'm also sure I can find a way to put the current keyboard language flag in the tray if I try hard enough.

STG
Everything I know I found out for myself but only after some kind person pointed out the way.

Aitch

#137 Post by Aitch »

puppyite

done - good call

all - re: earlier comments about software, see these linux-windoze equivalent softwares

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Lin ... s_software

http://www.linuxalt.com/

If puppy hasn't got anything you need/fancy trying, often asking on the forum will yield results, even getting a .pet made....

ttuuxxx

Re: From a newbee, making Puppy better

#138 Post by ttuuxxx »

SelftaughtGeek wrote:
Eathray wrote:I had a heck of a time getting my sound card to work. I tried one thing after another, and, being a newbee, did not understand most of what I was trying. I read and read and read some more, but so much what I was looking at was utterly foreign.

Eth
I know what you mean by understanding what you are doing - glad my hardware all worked out of the box, I don't mind fiddling but most of what I am reading is a new language to me. GRUB still eludes me and I am sure I could improve my boot up options if I understood it properly.

I'm also sure I can find a way to put the current keyboard language flag in the tray if I try hard enough.

STG
Which language are you looking for, there are help sections for different languages.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

SelftaughtGeek

Keyboard layout

#139 Post by SelftaughtGeek »

STG[/quote]

Which language are you looking for, there are help sections for different languages.
ttuuxxx[/quote]

Hi ttuuxxx
I use English and French character sets all the time so it is useful to toggle between the two within a document. I worked out how to set up the two keyboards using the Xorg advanced settings. I can toggle between the two using the keyboard - I just wanted to see a little flag in the bottom tray to make toggling easier than keyboard keys and to have a visual guide to the current setting. I can live with it as it is but always want perfection Lol

STG

ttuuxxx

#140 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi you can get a fench version of puppy at http://www.moulinier.net/
That might be easier :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)