Where can I download Teen Puppy?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
drrdf

Where can I download Teen Puppy?

#1 Post by drrdf »

Hi, can anyone please tell me where I can download a working ISO for Teen Puppy? The only download I can find is on Softpedia (http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 1563.shtml#) and this file is either corrupted or incomplete and will not install as a result. Thanks.

runtt21

#2 Post by runtt21 »

[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

drrdf

#3 Post by drrdf »

Hi runtt21, thanks for the link. I have already downloaded and installed Puppy and many other Linux distros so I know that my ISO CD process is a proper one and that is not a problem. Teen Puppy looks much better than Puppy, but I have not yet used it of course.

For some reason the Teen Puppy 2009 file on Softpedia has some error and the md5sum check shows an error. (I am using K3b on another machine.)

Hope the one downloaded from the link you give will work. Thanks again.

john biles

#4 Post by john biles »

Hello drrdf,
You can also download TEENpup from http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/teenpup/

Let me know how you go with the other download links.

If these work ok with your Burning process I'll get in contact with Softpedia.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

omskates

Recommend the Legacy version or the new miniPup 2010?

#5 Post by omskates »

John,
After reading this thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 8&start=90 let me just say, without being too cheesy, the dedication you have for your users is very commendable especially considering you're relaying responses away from work on your own time.

I have Puppy 4.2 running nicely on a Lenovo ThinkPad X40 2386 (Pentium M 1 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD) full install from USB stick to HD with 500mb swap. I've been attempting, as a noob, to configure preference/configuration files to make this machine simple and easy for my 11yo daughter. It looks like I'm way over my head and since the work you've done with TeenPup is very close to what I'm looking for I may do a replace install. Would you recommend the Legacy version or the new miniPup 2010 for this machine?
Best regards!

drrdf

#6 Post by drrdf »

Hi omskates, Firstly let me concur with your thanks to John. Secondly I must point out that even Teen Puppy 2008 states that it needs at least 500 Mb of RAM if you want to run it from the HD, so although I have not managed to install Teen Puppy 2009 yet I cannot believe that it is likely to require any less RAM than that. 256 Mb is thus insufficient. I have the same problem at present on the old PC I am trying to get Teen Puppy installed on. I am looking at increasing my RAM on this.

John, thank you for your help. I have not actually yet tried the specific additional link you gave to download Teen Puppy. But I must report on all the other links given for Teen Puppy 2009 the problem seems to be the same. I have downloaded Teen Puppy 2008 iso and successfully burned a CD which runs live. So there is no problem with the 2008 version file. However, it is clear that it is not only the 2009 version on Softpedia which is corrupt or incomplete, but seems to be the file on all download servers? What happens is that when I come to attempt to burn a CD from the 2009 downloaded file using K3b on another PC an error message is displayed stating that the file is incomplete or corrupted. This does not occur with the 2008 version which burns OK.

So I now suspect that there may be a problem with the iso file for Teen Puppy 2009 which was uploaded to all the servers? I will download and check the iso file on http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/teenpup/ and report what happens, and whether that is the same.

omskates

#7 Post by omskates »

Thankyou ddrrf,
Was looking for those sys reqs, must've overlooked them. This machine has an open slot and a 512mb stick at around $20 will bump it up, I think 768mb should be plenty snappy (drop my battery life by 5 to 10 min probably, but oh well :wink: )

wdm

#8 Post by wdm »

I agree that more ram would be better, however I'm running Teenpup 2009 from full hdd install on a machine with 256 mb right now. I did have to disable karamba, it crashes on startup. I can play cds and movie clips ok. I don't have dvd so that might be a problem. I also installed opera for browsing, it seems to run a little better than ff.

john biles

#9 Post by john biles »

Hello omskates,
If Puppy 4.2 runs fine for you and older Puppy version don't, wait for 2010 Mini.
Hello drrdf,
I never burn iso's with K3B in TEENpup, I always use "burniso2cd" puppy's standard app for burning iso's.
With over 30000 downloads of which at lease 16000 are for Legacy 2009 from Softpedia and your the first to inform me that the iso is corrupt, I wonder if the problem may partly be with K3B?

Lastly working hard to get 2010 out soon.

OH Yea, I have installed TEENpup 2009 Legacy to a 800Mhz Pentium 128mb of RAM PC with 500MB's of swap and it runs fine most of the time. If i have a lot of web pages open and have been surfing the web for a few hours, I sometimes have to reboot. The requirement for 500Mb of ram got on to Softpedia's download link from some where else I didn't post that requirement.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

cthisbear

#10 Post by cthisbear »

davec51

Can't Boot Frugal Teenpup

#11 Post by davec51 »

I can't seem to get the menu.lst entry right for this one. When booting I get the message that it can't find the idehd. Maybe I have ata; what's the correct line for this? I have tried "pmedia=atahd," but no luck.

drrdf

#12 Post by drrdf »

Hi,

Just to give some feedback on this problem and my resolution. I was not able to burn a valid copy of TP 2009 from any of the sources downloaded. In every case I received an error message that the iso file was corrupt before burning. I successfully downloaded TP 2008 and successfully installed this on the older PC.

If I may ask, why is it that the mounting process on Puppy was changed for TP? Frankly I think that was a bad move. The original Puppy process where icons are displayed on the desktop as soon as you connect or insert a device is far superior in my opinion. With TP you have to search to see whether an item is mounted. I suggest in the next version of TP going back to the original Puppy approach.

There was a lot about TP 2008 which I liked, mainly that it more or less worked out of the box where Puppy did not. However, the latest release of Puppy has addressed these issues, and it now has all the normal codecs etc. So I now prefer the newest release of Puppy itself (4.3), and have installed that. It is working well with 256 Mb and will even play videos and avis (which the earlier release of Puppy would not do properly), although there is some jerkiness here and there. Probably 500 Mb is necessary to play videos perfectly.

So thanks guys for all your help. I hope my feedback is useful.