Install Firefox 3.5.* in Puppy 4.2*, 4.3.* Instructions here

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
DaveS

Install Firefox 3.5.* in Puppy 4.2*, 4.3.* Instructions here

#1 Post by DaveS »

If you want to install Firefox 3.5.* into any of the Puppy 4.2 variants (JWM only), follow these instructions. (edit.. seems OK with 4.3* too)

Important, dont remove Seamonkey as other programs use Seamonkey Libs.

1)Download the Firefox file from here http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html Make sure you select the Linux version. It does not matter much where you download it to as long as you can find it again :) The file is called Firefox-3.5.*.tar.bz2

2)Prepare your system by installing the two dependencies dbus.pet, and dbus-glib.pet, which are attached below. Just download them and save them to disk. I prefer this method rather than opening direct with the package manager as it makes them permanently available on my hard drive if needed again. Once you have downloaded them, just click on them and let the package manager install them. If you get an error message about missing libs etc., just ignore it.
Attachments
dbus-glib.pet
(140.01 KiB) Downloaded 16351 times
Last edited by DaveS on Wed 11 Nov 2009, 07:17, edited 3 times in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#2 Post by DaveS »

Next, install Firefox.3.5.2.tar.bz2 that you downloaded by clicking on it. This will open the archive manager with the file loaded in the right hand pane. Highlight the file with your mouse and select 'extract'. A pop-up window will appear allowing you to choose where you extract it to. the default is /root, which is fine, leave it, but make sure you check the radio button to extract ALL files including paths. It should look like this

Click 'Extract'

This will install Firefox for you into a directory called Firefox in /root

OK, nearly done.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#3 Post by DaveS »

Finally, install the attached Firefoxdesktop.pet. This will install a small 'desktop' file into /usr/share/applications which is used to auto-create a menu entry for you, and a tiny script file called firefox into /root/my-applications/bin which will allow firefox to be started from the command line/menu/terminal etc.

Lastly run 'refresh menus', menu>refresh menus, and to be safe, re-boot. You should now have Firefox up and running from menu>internet>Firefox-web browser.
Attachments
firefoxdesktop.pet
(593 Bytes) Downloaded 9229 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

Fonts
There is no denying the web and much else runs on True Type fonts. There are licensing implications to having True Type fonts installed on you system, but you can still get good results if you set your font options as below from Edit>preferences, select the Content tab, and on the 'Default font' line, select the 'advanced' button. Be sure to make certain the 'allow pages to use there own fonts' box is UNCHECKED.

Themes
Themes are a very personal matter, but one of the most exciting is the Foxdie theme that can be downloaded from here
http://www.foxdie.us/download/

What excites me about this theme is, not only does it display brilliantly, but you have a menu option to change sub-themes, menu font size etc, so you can not only change to the core Foxdie theme, but further customise it using simple menu options, no messing abou with config files. Here are a couple of screen shots showing two different button configurations. This theme is still in active development, and improving all the time

Note how sharp the icons, text, and images are.

Simplemail

Probably my favourite add-on for Firefox is Simplemail from the Firefox site https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5593
This gives you an email client within your browser much like Opera. It supports folders, drag and drop between folders, auto-completion, built in address books, and multiple accounts. it is basic, but probably all the home user needs.

Enjoy Firefox!
Last edited by DaveS on Thu 25 Feb 2010, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

benny7440

#5 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for all the info you have given, DaveS! 8)
I ran FF 2 or 3 times for a moment but it suddenly closes before I even have the chance to log in to my email acct..
Is there a way of starting it & stopping all (or most) of its actions until I perform checks to see what is giving problems or maybe after it closes there's a file that concerves useful info for doing this?

DaveS

#6 Post by DaveS »

Try starting it from a terminal window, and then maybe when it crashes it will show an error message. Just type firefox and it should run.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#7 Post by DaveS »

Benny, I just did a completely fresh install of 4.2.1 and ran the Firefox instructions with perfect results! Something strange with your system. Did you upgrade Flash? That is often a problem with Firefox. The Flash that comes standard with 4.2.1 is fine. Flash 10* can be problematic........
Geeez the display was rubbish till I installed the font pack though :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

Themes
Themes are a very personal matter, but one of the most exciting is the Foxdie theme that can be downloaded from here
http://www.foxdie.us/download/
Did all that, the above theme is important otherwise
your menu fonts may be unreadable
I installed Firefox 3.5.3 (UK version) in Beta 2 of 4.3
I also installed in /usr/local/firefox
and just right clicked on the firefox shell program and dragged
an icon into the set icon option - then dragged this to the desktop

Many thanks
link on wiki to this thread :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

DaveS

#9 Post by DaveS »

Not looked at 3.5.3 yet. OK so far?

Edit: Updated to 3.5.3 today (18/09/09). No problems. Also now using 4.3 Final (brilliant distro). Again, no problems, smooth install.
Last edited by DaveS on Fri 18 Sep 2009, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

benny7440

#10 Post by benny7440 »

Have been trying to copy/paste the image taken from running FF crash from a terminal window as you said but the system isn't functioning as in Windows: "you copy in an api & it's available throughout the system".

So, I'm writing the contents of that window below:
> # firefox
> /root/firefox/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 10721 killed "$prog" $1+"$@"}
> #
Notes: The '>' symbols were added by me for telling you that, after "3" spaces, the lines seen by me on the terminal window showed what follows. I'm going to repeat the whole process again because I've some doubts around the output on that window.

Nevertheless, thanks for averything; you have being of great help around this issue, DaveS!

don

Install Firefox

#11 Post by don »

I installed Firefox 3.5.2 in Ppup 4.3 beta3 and it ran fine with no problems. I then clicked help-check for updates,and when offered, upgraded Firefox to 3.5.3. I am running it now, again with no problems so far.

Thanks for the tips.

Is there anything to be done to work the same tricks in installing Firefox 3.5.2 in the upup series?

DaveS

Re: Install Firefox

#12 Post by DaveS »

don wrote:I installed Firefox 3.5.2 in Ppup 4.3 beta3 and it ran fine with no problems. I then clicked help-check for updates,and when offered, upgraded Firefox to 3.5.3. I am running it now, again with no problems so far.

Thanks for the tips.

Is there anything to be done to work the same tricks in installing Firefox 3.5.2 in the upup series?
Not working with Upup just now, sorry. Busy with 4.3.3beta. I see no reason why the same process should not work in Upup though.........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

kylerickards

Font troubles

#13 Post by kylerickards »

Hi all

Odd one, followed all the advice above and got Firefox 3.5.2 working on Puppy 4.2. Everything looked correct after installing the ttf fonts.

Just tried to make someone else a USB srick like mine and everytime now the menu fonts look too small and fiddly to read - yet I followed out the same procedure as the first time - can anyone help? (It's just the menu fonts on FF that's wrong, everything else on webpage and my Puppy install is great)

Thanks
Kyle

ttuuxxx

#14 Post by ttuuxxx »

You should really replace X-server if you want Firefox 3.5 and flash 10 to work 100%. The best one to use is from 2.14X/R it comes with extra modules that enables 0% drag on the scrollbars at sites like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox
also if your system crashes if you press the "insert key" in a response box, Then you'll have to update gtk2. even the latest puppy has that bug, only 4.2 had it fixed.
If you want to try it out and see the difference download this new release I made today with all the fixes included http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 284#342284
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

kylerickards

#15 Post by kylerickards »

Thanks, may give that a go - still doesn't explain why two identical installs yield different results though? (And just booted up with each stick to make sure I am not going mad!)

Kyle

DaveS

#16 Post by DaveS »

kylerickards wrote:Thanks, may give that a go - still doesn't explain why two identical installs yield different results though? (And just booted up with each stick to make sure I am not going mad!)

Kyle
Now that is just plain odd! Sadly, despite all the hype about how customisable Firefox is, they dont give us a menu option to change menu fonts, which always seemed like an 'oversight' to me. Maybe someone has written an 'add-on' which makes it easy, but after a quick search, I could not find one. That leaves you two options: either edit the configuration file directly yourself, or install the Foxdie Theme from the link above, which DOES provide a menu option.
If you install Foxdie, you MUST install the latest version, as earlier versions were not compatible with 3.5*
If you want to edit the configuration file directly, you need userchrome.css, which is located at root/.mozilla/firefox/4he4okcp.default/chrome
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#17 Post by DaveS »

Ran this install procedure on 4.3 Final. No problems. Scrolls way way faster than Seamonkey.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

laptopnewbee

#18 Post by laptopnewbee »

Lobster wrote: I installed Firefox 3.5.3 (UK version) in Beta 2 of 4.3
I also installed in /usr/local/firefox
and just right clicked on the firefox shell program and dragged
an icon into the set icon option - then dragged this to the desktop
works for the U.S. version on both live disk, and flash drive install (4.30).

i really like the "default48.png" icon (in /chrome/icons/default under the firefox directory wherever you place it) on my desktop, but i may go with one of the smaller icons later if i decide my desktop is too cluttered.
so much to learn, so late a start.

sotris99

#19 Post by sotris99 »

it works also with puppy 3.0.1 !!!

yay!!!

ttuuxxx

#20 Post by ttuuxxx »

DaveS wrote:
kylerickards wrote:Thanks, may give that a go - still doesn't explain why two identical installs yield different results though? (And just booted up with each stick to make sure I am not going mad!)

Kyle
Now that is just plain odd! Sadly, despite all the hype about how customisable Firefox is, they dont give us a menu option to change menu fonts, which always seemed like an 'oversight' to me.
All you had to do is ask :)
This is how its done
Step 1 go to /root/.gtkrc-2.0 and open it up as text
Step 2paste this line at the very bottom and save it, Then restartX-server gtk-font-name = "Sans 12"

Or you can make the font like 18 in size, gtk-font-name = "Sans 18" lol
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)