Puppy 4.3 Beta2 -- bugs and reports

Please post any bugs you have found
arby

LAN Printer Works Again

#161 Post by arby »

I just now got the chance to get beta2 on disk and booted...
pup-424.iso prints over my LAN again without issues.

Must've been the 6.29.6 kernel causing my previous issues.

(This is just the 424.iso, no additional packages)

Yay!

rerwin

A fix for the hang/freeze when dialing with an HSF modem

#162 Post by rerwin »

The HSF modem dialup hang/freeze is due to an error in the firmware tarball pinstall script. The line, "cd /" should be "cd /etc/hsfmodem".

Attached is a patch/workaround containing the corrected tarball and logic to enable a re-initialization of the modem upon reboot. Anyone with an HSF modem should install this dotpet and reboot, for it to take effect.

This problem probably is not a factor in the HDA soundboard issue posted by tlchost..

Barry: please update the hsfmodem firmware tarball either by substituting the version in the dotpet, or correcting the pinstall.hsfmodem.sh file in the "master" tarball. Thanks.
Richard
Attachments
linuxant_HSF_modem_hang_fix-1.pet
For Conexant HSF modems, please install this and reboot.
(113.96 KiB) Downloaded 372 times

charlie6

#163 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
I wrote this post as this happened repetitively on 2 different PC's with 4.3beta2 (frugal installed) and eth0 network connection.

This is the first time since my "puppy conversion" that I get this on two different PC's with the same ethernet hardware. So I believe that the hardware is not to consider in this problem.

What happens:
- running Network Wizard (or click on 'Connect' icon), select network LAN;
- first step: there click on 'eth0' for eth0 interfacing;
here sometimes I get a dialog box displaying the interfacing progress (horizontal bar); sometimes not, as it is quite instantaneous (as it was the case on former puppy issues); sometimes it looks so frozen...that I end and start again the process...one time I even went to reboot...!;

- next step is DHCP connection: same behaviour: sometimes fast, (sometimes very) slow process, and sometimes frozen...reboot seems to be the only way to get DHCP.
One time I got the internet connection cut while browsing across the web...needed to reboot to get it runnig again!

Hope this can help.
Cheers, Charlie

aragon

#164 Post by aragon »

BarryK wrote:I think we need to write our own equivalent.
There is a commandline utility that apparently works well, so we could knock up a GUI for it.
gphotofs would be nice for that, as it mounts your cam to the 'regular' filesystem using fuse. maybe this could be used to simply add a cam-mount to pmount.

aragon

Dpup

netwiz problem

#165 Post by Dpup »

Have several zd1211rw based USB wifi adapters. These have worked very well since Puppy 3.01. And they work fine in Puppy 4.3b1 advanced kernel. However in Puppy 4.3b2 netwiz, fails to detect any wireless, or after several trys detects router 15 feet away, shows a weak signal, and if it connects has a very slow transfer rate.

Have tried several different adapters on several different desktop PC's that all worked in Puppy 4.3b1 advanced and all have the same problem in Puppy 4.3b2.

Very strange, but several other USB wifi adapters not based on the zd1211rw worked fine in both Puppy 4.3b1 and 4.3b2. And I have several netbook computers that work fine in Puppy 4.3b2.

richwa4sxz

alsaconf 1.0.16 fails

#166 Post by richwa4sxz »

BarryK,

I've tried this from console and as part of the setup, on several various computers, and no sound card is ever detected by the script. The sound cards all have been detected at boot and are usable by running the alsamixer from the speaker icon or console. This seems to be something new since changing the alsa version to the newer one.

Have run this beta on a variety of older P3 & P4 computers and have not run into any other setup issues, using a manual frugal installation to HD.

Rich

panzerpuppy

#167 Post by panzerpuppy »

@BarryK: Looks like happypuppy found a way to reproduce the JWM theme changing bug. See the post in the dev blog.

I always edit the .jwmrc-tray file first to remove unnecessary stuff.
For example, I don't need asapm (i don't use a laptop), xload (I don't need it) ,the pager (i don't use virtual desktops) and the show desktop icon ,so I edit .jwmrc-tray and remove the stuff.

Then when I use the GUI to change the theme, the taskbar disappears :(

As happypuppy said in the blog post, this worked perfectly in Puppy 4.1.2.
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Wed 09 Sep 2009, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

edoc

#168 Post by edoc »

Is the ath9k driver module for the newer "n" wifi devices included?

Also, for my Puppy-newbie friend - is there a driver for the Buffalo wli-u2-g300n?

Or does he have to do the ndiswrapper thing?
Last edited by edoc on Wed 09 Sep 2009, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

panzerpuppy

#169 Post by panzerpuppy »

More bugs:

- In PupX (set properties of X) , unchecking the 'enable screen saver' checkbox has no effect. The screensaver still kicks in after a while.

- Some apps behave strangely when locale is set to anything but en_US:
i.e. ExpenseTracker refuses to save expenses.

- Nathan Wallpaper Setter doesn't work (EDIT: fixed with the .PET patch)

P.S. 'Top' (the process viewer) looks much better / easier on the eyes with a white background.
It's a simple fix: just edit /usr/share/applications/Top-view-running-processes.desktop and change the bg color from #c0c0c0 to #ffffff

------------------
panzerpuppy
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Wed 09 Sep 2009, 18:58, edited 7 times in total.

James C

#170 Post by James C »

The pet to fix the wallpaper setter is already posted earlier in this thread.

Kal

#171 Post by Kal »

panzerpuppy:
'Top' (the process viewer) looks much better / easier on the eyes with a white background.
It's a simple fix: just change the bg color from #c0c0c0 to #ffffff in .jwmrc
Any change to .jwmrc is NOT permanent, you need to edit the /usr/share/applications/Top-view-running-processes.desktop and then run fixmenus in terminal and Restart JWM.

straypup

Save

#172 Post by straypup »

Reburned live CD using both Puppy 4.2.1 and Windows9 (sorry). Windows burn failed to save but was good otherwise. Pburn saved, but had to retry several times befor it would load due to syncing glitch. Burniso2CDgave best results, but neither would save my wireless connection (the ever problematic rtl8187b. Otherwise , even SCIM is working. Thanks for a great easy to use OS
stray

edoc

#173 Post by edoc »

He got the Buffalo wli-u2-g300n working via ndiswrapper and the MS-win drivers from the Buffalo site.

Would be better to have a Linux-native driver but please add the Buffalo to the list of ndiswrapper supported devices - if it is not already on that list.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

panzerpuppy

#174 Post by panzerpuppy »

Another bug:

- Aqualung crashes with a segmentation fault (or doesn't start at all) if you uncheck the 'enable statusbar' option in the preferences for Music Store.

Kenny-M

#175 Post by Kenny-M »

4.3Beta2 (Sata)

Does not include ActiveX version 10 under SeaMonkey 1.1.7.

How to update? What version of Linux is Puppy based on?

Under Qemu when Puppy 4.3.2 is shutdown rather then closing task returning to originating batch file as it does under 4.2.1 it displays a message "shutdown" then the screen glows blank. Manually keying in Ctrl/Alt/F followed by closing open task windows returns you to where you should be.

4.3Beta2 SCSI

On SCSI machine audio chip cs4236 not handled correctly. ALSA
freezes at cs4326 and never returns.

On SCSI machine can not use Universal Installer. Says not supported.
Desired setup sda Windows XP, sdb1 Puppy, sdb2 Swap, sdb3 FAT32.
Grub on sda with boot menu for Puppy and Windows.
Note: Booting LIVE the SCSI devices are revealed.

-Ken

mawebb88

PstreamTV Good

#176 Post by mawebb88 »

Works great. But best with Mplayer installed.

Rgds Mike

mawebb88

Mplayer installed for use with PstreamTV

#177 Post by mawebb88 »

The JWM menu needs fixing for Mplayer as per:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26511

Otherwise everything freezes.

Rgds Mike

Sorry I know this is off topic but Mplayer is needed for PStreamTV which is part of this release.

rerwin

pupscan shows all driver modules as "unknown"

#178 Post by rerwin »

Now that the modules.*map files are no longer maintained in /lib/modules/<kernel>/, pupscan no longer displays the modules associated with hardware devices. I have updated it to obtain its information from the modules.alias file and added use of the dialup-modem rules file (for devices not listed in modules.alias).

I also changed it to choose that last-found module instead of the first, to match how pup_event_backend_modprobe makes its choice.

At some point, I hope to refine it so that it accounts for "pci overrides" and "preferred modules" specified in the BootManager. But this is already a little more comprehensive than when it was last working.

UPDATE 9/10/09: Turns out using the modaliases is trickier than I anticipated. I have made further refinements to pupscan (as -2), but more can be done. I may continue refinement, but please (Barry) take whatever version is here at the deadline for the next beta. Thanks,
Richard
Attachments
pupscan_using_modalias-2.pet
The upgraded pupscan.
(3.44 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
pupscan_differences.tar.gz
Difference listing
(726 Bytes) Downloaded 374 times
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 10 Sep 2009, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

sfl7fl

sound card not identified

#179 Post by sfl7fl »

puppy version 4.12 recognizes hda-intel 8086:27d8(rev 01)
4.3 b2 does recognize card, so no audio

dawg

#180 Post by dawg »

I apologise if anyone has already pointed this out (long thread), but:
adding SFS packages still messes up (at least) the desktop icons with defaults.

PS: I like the wallpaper, not so much the Marble icons - they all look "the same" and monotonous, they don't "balance" the wallpaper, IMO.