Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile       

The time now is Sun 09 Aug 2020, 02:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Dramatically shrinking free space in pupsave
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [48 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Slapdash

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 15:43    Post subject:  Dramatically shrinking free space in pupsave  

Well, the topic is pretty self-explanatory. Puppy 4.21 on a 1GB pendrive with a 512mb save file. Free space went down like a brick. While it was understandable when I was adding new software to the basic Puppy I haven't done so in the last few days. The amount of free space dropped to 100mb yesterday and went down to 39megs right before my eyes within the last few hours, without me adding anything to Puppy.
I cleaned the browser cache, the mail cache is insignificant, and I even augmented the save file by 32 megs. After a reboot and fsck I'm left with 36 (?!) megs left and things are starting to flash red.

What gives?
droope

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 17:06    Post subject:  

Hi there,

I am not sure about what I am about to say, so do not hesitate to discard it as if it were rubish. Some folks in the Spanish Forum have been having the same trouble as you, and it has been said that this is due to a bug in 4.21, related to browser cache.

I've found a step by step HOWTO to solve this, and perhaps a no-command-line solution, too Smile

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44573&sid=37e8c789797afeeba1592f658cd112a6

No harm trying, though. I think that will solve it.

CHeers!
Droope

“Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer.” –Percy Cerutty

Mi blog (Spanish)
disciple

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 17:11    Post subject:  

Have you been printing?
/var/spool/cups might be accumulating rubbish. Otherwise it is probably a fault in some program filling up some log file - search and see if you can find any huge files.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 17:42    Post subject:  

If you use Firefox, there is an sql file in it that tends to grow pretty large over time. I don't remember the precise name but it's something like "urlclassifier3.sql". It should be recognizable - it will be one of the biggest files in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<PROFILE>/.

What happens is Firefox downloads a list of "bad" sites from Google, and stores them in that. Then when you try to visit them it warns you. You can disable it by going into the preferences and unchecking the boxes for "block reported web forgeries" and "block reported attack sites". Then delete the file. (If you only delete it, it will just come back.)

Also, try rebooting with the pfix=fsck option. Some people have reported that doing so cleared up a reasonable amount of space that had apparently become corrupted.

I don't think Puppy comes with it by default anymore, but the gdmap program is useful for this sort of thing - lets you see visually how large the files in a directory are. It's in the package manager under "Filesystem".

Also, you might want to try looking in /initrd/pup_rw/ to see what is in the pup_save.2fs file without seeing the stuff that's in the pup_xxx.sfs file merged in like you would in /. But remember: with /initrd/pup_rw, you can look but Don't Touch. Go back into the normal file system based off / to delete things. Otherwise you'll confuse Puppy and weird things can happen. (Alternately, just reboot with pfix=ram, then click on the pup_save.2fs file to mount it. Then you can delete things without issues.)

Slapdash

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 18:47    Post subject:  

Things have not improved.
1. I have not printed since 2005 Smile.The cache-thing trick apparently has no effect. The cache folder is still there, it doesn't get killed off, but this might be because Puppy's eyes glow red because

2. The amount of free space dwindled to mere 7mb and

3. The deletion of the bad url file did free up some 35mbs, but due to the previous, unexplained depletion of free space, I'm left with 42mbs. Well, in a way it is an improvement, but the space just goes and gods know where. I ain't even touching it.

As my HD died (I guess it died, might've been the IDE thing that snuffed it because I lost the HD one day and then the CD drive the other, totally gone, no response, no detection, NADA, I DID however transmit a rather loud discharge of static electricity from my fleece-wearing self to the chasis some days back which I guess might have contributed to this catastrophic failure) the Puppy on the usb thumb is my only hope of getting some rather (de)pressing job done.

I guess I'll need a bigger pendrive then? But if the thing continues to grow like that...
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 01:43    Post subject:  

Slap dash, try this: open Rox file manager window showing your root directory, and showing your 'hidden files'.
Open a second Rox window by clicking on the pen drive icon, which should show you the drive files.
Drag and drop the directory .mozilla from root to the pendrive window. This will move your emails, browser cache etc out of the save file.
Then drag it back again, and from the pop-up options select 'link absolute'
This way, internet junk wont fill up your save file. With any luck, this will recover your space, but dont forget it will still slowly fill up the pen drive still.
ps. if you want to run from a pen drive, which Puppy does well, note that the read/write speeds to these drives vary enormously. The Sandisk Contour Cruzer is very fast, and I have had really great results with them. Almost as fast as the hard drive.

Slapdash

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 07:53    Post subject:  

Well I bought me a 4gb pendrive. Puppy is still growing. It just grew by 20mbs for no apparent reason.
I would guess it's the cache but it just never gives the space back.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 13:28    Post subject:  

1. I just today used the PORTABLE and FREE for personal use version of Space Monger [version 2.1.2-pre3], run within Puppy 4.2.4, and under WINE to scan my [dormant] BoxPup ext3 Linux partition, and display the relative space usage.
I found and eliminated 0.4GB of space being used by files in the...
~/root/.mozilla/firefox/8q2glnp1.default/minidumps folder.

Give it a try and see if you can spot any unusually large folders or files that can be safely eliminated.
aragon

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 13:47    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
I don't think Puppy comes with it by default anymore, but the gdmap program is useful for this sort of thing - lets you see visually how large the files in a directory are.

4.21 has treesize, see below for a pic. you should find treesize in the filesystem-menu. simple open the folder you want to analyse with the folder button. as you seen in the pic below, picasa alone has about 100 mb....

aragon
treesize.png
 Description   
 Filesize   36.79 KB
 Viewed   1673 Time(s)

treesize.png

Proudog

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 14:27    Post subject:  

Slapdash wrote:
Well I bought me a 4gb pendrive. Puppy is still growing. It just grew by 20mbs for no apparent reason.
I would guess it's the cache but it just never gives the space back.

I'm report this bug in Bugs 421 forum and this is real, the browser cache is eating all the space of pup_save.

You need do it,

1.-Go to /initrd/pup_ro1/root/.mozilla/default/Cache
2.-Erase all the contents in Cache
3.-Download attach file (Cache.gz)
4.-Uncompress and put it on /root/Startup (with permissons to exec)
5.-Reboot your PC.

This bug is serious, (infinite loop) but I understand that anybody that detected this.
cache.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  cache.gz 
Filesize  165 Bytes 
Downloaded  359 Time(s) 
Sylvander

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 15:30    Post subject:  

See below a screenshot of a display of my BoxPup partition contents by Space Monger.

The good thing about this is that you can scan ALL of the contents of the partition in one sweep of your gaze.
Any unusually large folders or files jump right out at you.
You can see in the image below that there are none such as these.
If necessary, it's possible to zoom in on a chosen region of the display to view [as HUGE] details that appear tiny in that view.
It's like having an aerial view of the filescape, and being able to swoop down to get a close-up of the detail.

Examples of larger items:
FOLDERS:
/mnt/sda3/root/.usr/lib/wine

FILES:
/mnt/sda3/root/.mozilla/firefox/8q2glnp1.default/urlclassifier3.sqlite
/mnt/sda3/root/.usr/lib/wine/rt.jar

Last edited by Sylvander on Wed 09 Sep 2009, 15:37; edited 1 time in total
Slapdash

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 15:35    Post subject:  

I haven't tried the solution of Proudog yet, BUT it's definitely the cache. Clearing it from Firefox and Seamonkey's options didn't help. I had to do it manually. Silly me, because I was clearing the folder in .mozilla/default whereas I should be toying with the one in .mozilla/default/firefox/profile.default. It was almost 300mbs. Well, my mistake.

What is bugging me however is that cache-clearing browser options didn't do anything. I'm okay with doing this manually, but why is it so? Or maybe I'm being dumb again?
It's the thingy in Preferences->Privacy->Clear now? I have "clear cache" checked among other options.
tlchost

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 15:56    Post subject:  

Sylvander wrote:
1. I just today used the PORTABLE and FREE for personal use version of Space Monger [version 2.1.2-pre3],

Their download page reports
Notice: Undefined index: action in /var/www/vhosts/sixty-five.cc/httpdocs/download/index.php on line 249
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 17:03    Post subject:  

Slapdash ...what size is the cache set to?.
Try 0

mike
Slapdash

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep 2009, 17:20    Post subject:  

Well, it is set to 50mbs. As it grew to almost 300mbs, this doesn't seem to mean much, but I'll check how setting it zero helps.
Page 1 of 4 [48 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: