Vendetta online?

Play with your Puppy.
Nekroze

Vendetta online?

#1 Post by Nekroze »

hello all, i am here to inform those who do not know of and inquire of those that do, about a truly cross-platform MMO space sim called:

Vendetta Online

i am very interested in playing this however i have downloaded and patched it but all that happens when i run it is a crash report dialog after turning my screen to 800x600 res, although the WM is not that res as i can pan around the screen with the edges but the actual output is about 800x600

i would really like to give this game a try but i don't know what i am missing, can any one help with this. on their website it says that you need "Hardware Transformation & Lighting" but i cannot seem to find that module anywhere is there a port for puppy or something else that can be done or is this even the problem. there could be something else i am completely missing.

as i said i would really like to give Vendetta a try but i think that puppy Linux may not be capable of it?

Sign,
Nekroze

Nekroze

ldd output

#2 Post by Nekroze »

i did think to run the ldd to check the dependencies this is what i get

Code: Select all

ldd vendetta 
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0xb7b88000)
        libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0xb7afd000)
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb7a16000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb79f4000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb79e9000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb78ed000)
        libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 (0xb78d6000)
        libatk-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so.0 (0xb78bf000)
        libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0xb789f000)
        libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xb7812000)
        libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 (0xb780a000)
        libpango-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0 (0xb77da000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7709000)
        libXcomposite.so.1 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXcomposite.so.1 (0xb7706000)
        libXdamage.so.1 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXdamage.so.1 (0xb7703000)
        libXfixes.so.3 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXfixes.so.3 (0xb76ff000)
        libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (0xb76fc000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb76f7000)
        libcairo.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2 (0xb769a000)
        libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0xb7674000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7668000)
        libXrender.so.1 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXrender.so.1 (0xb7661000)
        libXinerama.so.1 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXinerama.so.1 (0xb765d000)
        libXi.so.6 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXi.so.6 (0xb7655000)
        libXrandr.so.2 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXrandr.so.2 (0xb764f000)
        libXcursor.so.1 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXcursor.so.1 (0xb7647000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f05000)
        libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 (0xb7622000)
        libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0xb75c3000)
        libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0xb75b4000)
        libXau.so.6 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb75b1000)
        libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/X11R7/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb75ac000)
        libpng12.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 (0xb758f000)
        libpixman-1.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpixman-1.so.0 (0xb755d000)
        libexpat.so.1 => /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 (0xb7541000)
im not the best at this but it dose not seem there are any problems? right?

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

I installed that a year or two ago and played for bit. I don't remember if I installed it in Puppy or Gentoo though.

I decided not to bother with it because I didn't have a joystick, and for me, flying spacecraft just isn't the same without a stick.

I finally got around to ordering one yesterday though. Should get here middle of next week.

So then I'll see about installing Vendetta again.

EDIT: Puppy Linux is definitely capable of it. It's just a matter of how much effort it will take.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Nekroze

#4 Post by Nekroze »

cool, thanks in advance but i was hoping to umm...

like play it within the trial period. i was thinking about just installing gentoo. but previous attempts at that where rather fruitless.

but i will continue to look around thanks and please do get back to me on how things go for you when u get that stick, who knows might even ask for some tips for a noob in vendetta.

in the meantime dose that ldd output say anything to you or anyone else as to why this may be happening?

thanks for the future,
Nekroze

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

I wanted to start my own trial period after I already had my stick. But then, I guess I should be able to tell if it's worth it even with just a mouse. Maybe I'll try tomorrow (today, really - but after I wake up in six to eight hours). How long does the trial last? I looked on their site but didn't see anything. But I'm tired enough now that I'm probably half blind. :lol:

The ldd output doesn't tell me much. Looks like you have all your dependencies.

I tend to be paranoid about things that change my resolution. Try preseting your X resolution to 800x600 first, so it doesn't have to change it (alternately, try to get it to run at whatever res. you have X using).

Also, see if you can access the options panel before the game starts so that you can play around with the graphics settings. It might be using some feature that your card doesn't like.

Otherwise I won't have any ideas until I either get more data from you or start working on it on my end.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yeah, I was definitely blind. It's right there on the welcome page.
Sign up for a trial account, download the client and play whenever you like, up to a total of eight hours in the game.
So it looks like it's based on how much you actually play, not when you activate it. So, in that case I'll get started right away. This way I'll be ready to go when the stick gets here.

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Works fine here. I tested on a very nearly stock 4.2.1, and also on a semi-heavily modified version of 4.1.2.

I used both the opensource ATI drivers from the xorg_xorg_dri and xorg_xorg_full_dri packages in Puppy's repo, and also the proprietary FGLRX drivers (from ATI's site), and they both worked.

Are you sure you have your 3d stuff installed and working? You need to install the xorg_xorg_dri package from the package mananger, and maybe also the xorg_xorg_full_dri package. Then restart X. Run gxlinfo to make sure DRI is enabled. Run glxgears and see how many FPS it gives you. (The numbers are very large compared to what you'd get in a game - without DRI I currently get 1000 FPS, but with it, I get either 3000 or 6000 depending on if I use the opensource or closedsource drivers, respectively.)

Otherwise, it's probably something to do with the graphics settings. Mine was able to resize the screen and keep running, though it didn't quite manage to cover the screen properly until I changed it's rez. Glancing through the options, it seemed like there were a good number of things you could try disabling or decreasing.

Did you launch it from the commandline? If so, what did the terminal say after the crash? Might give some hints.

What kind of video hardware do you have? That probably wouldn't help me help you much, but it could help other people who know more about that sort of thing.

Nekroze

#8 Post by Nekroze »

sorry i have been unresponsive i have been through the smattering of gentoo but i seem to have everything fine up until i do the final reboot but after grub hands over it hangs on some child_rip20 thingo and i cannot find to much related but am using my little laptop and its hard to look at as much info as i need for this. anyway i have done it three two and a half times now but same old thing.

anywho that's my explainer, anyway you have done much more then i would have expected, however i have been looking around the forum a bit now but it goes without saying you live up to your name...

well actually your "image" as i have seen from your actions in this community.

admiration...

anyway i can help probably a fair bit with both some info and probably the cause. i have an Nvidia GTX295 if it makes any difference my CPU is an intel Core i7 920 OC to 4Ghz. however i have had a few things that i called slight aggravation's but it turns out they must be large problems.

i have gone through the forums and used http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34001 to install the drivers being the highest "grade" ones for my card (i assume) however after everything is installed i then open the menu item for the nvidia driver it says that i am not using the driver even though i have already done the details to enable it possibly hundreds of times now it just dose not change. the installer forum thread made it seem as if glxgears was the proof that it all worked. however that belief is wayning a tad...

i cant really do anything else to help you or more directly me. i would LOVE any help but im not sure what i can do although at this point i think it has got to be something small at this point.

even if nothing resolves from all of this, thank you.
Nekroze[/url]

Nekroze

#9 Post by Nekroze »