Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
nec

PLEASE HELP

#101 Post by nec »

pLease

1)give me link to download puppy with firefox only I HATE SEAMONKEY browser.

2) I am unable to download to my hard disk. too many linux terms i cant understand. Is there a user friendly puppy? i have puppy4 live CD with sea monkey.

3)my hard disk 20GB(actual usage 18.6) is partitioned as 3GB ext3 (free), 500MB linux swap, 350MB ext2 (free) and rest is FAT32 (microsoft windows). Is this right partition? i want to install pup on ext2

4)only problem is my computer is slow with 128RAM

i shall appriciate easy explanations step by step

thank you in advance

God bless you all

techloid

#102 Post by techloid »

Well, one thing I've noticed while using Puppy Linux is that sometimes the desktop will not load, and it's not very friendly to lower RAM computers (128MB or lower), a lot of the times programs will just close because there isn't enough space in the RAM. A version for lower RAM computers might be nice.

Other than that I think Puppy is a pretty cool piece of software.

Zek23

Browser....Gah!

#103 Post by Zek23 »

So, I'd like to start by saying I've been using Puppy for about half a year now, and it has been my introduction to Linux. I love Puppy's simplicity and flavor, and I find it to be a great distro for older computers in general.
However, NOT FOR WEB-BROWSING!!!! Puppy works amazingly well with limited tech, except when trying to load most web pages! When faced with any website that has banners etc. that can't be loaded quickly, Puppy just shuts the browser down! Why not have it load a little at a time until it's done? I used to use dial-up, and I don't mind waiting for a page to load, but I disdain having to re-login on pages, hoping the browser won't close!
This is my only real complaint, but it's major for me, as I enjoy the web and make its use a big part of my computing experience. Please, please, PLEASE fix this in the next iteration of Puppy! I'd really appreciate it.

Zek

P.S. If there is some way to fix this problem that I haven't found yet, please let me know. However, the forums are quite mum on the topic, so I wait with bated breath.

mikeb

#104 Post by mikeb »

P.S. If there is some way to fix this problem that I haven't found yet, please let me know. However, the forums are quite mum on the topic, so I wait with bated breath.
there is a lot of info on this subject but unfortunately since its on a forum it soon gets lost. :(

flash 10 is more stable than 9
puppy prior to 4.20 needs a gtk2 fix
flashblock helps but fixing the stability is better

mike

mystmaiden

#105 Post by mystmaiden »

I've just been glancing through this topic and noticed a couple of things - one poster said the documentation was out of date and would make it hard for relative newbies to install puppy on older computers. This has definitely not been my experience. I'm a rank newb and with the help of folks here I've already got it going on three computers... so maybe that's relative??

Also another complained of browsing being an issue. I have had no problems at all with browsing with seamonkey on the computers I've done an install on. One computer (running live) with not enough ram didn't much like browsing pages with tons of images, but that's been the extent of the trouble. I fully expect the 6 bucks worth of ram on its way to fix that. Otherwise, I've been able to browse quick and clean.

wishlist - sell me a usb drive with puppy already installed!

just my two cents..

myst

Zek23

Flash 10?

#106 Post by Zek23 »

Cool, so all I need is Flash 10... Is there a .pet for that? If not, I'm gonna need a little coaching. I've no idea what I'm doing as far as targz and command line are concerned. I am inclined to believe it is a software problem because I watch my RAM and CPU as I'm browsing, and it never gets near maxed out when the browser closes on me.

Tanx, Zek

James C

#107 Post by James C »

myst

check out /www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/usb/puppy

I've never had a problem with browser crashing either.

mikeb

#108 Post by mikeb »

puppyite

#109 Post by puppyite »

mystmaiden wrote:wishlist - sell me a usb drive with puppy already installed!
Your wish is granted. These vendors sell Puppy on USB:
OSDisc, Puppy 4.2 USB
On-Disk, Puppy 4.2 USB
I’ll wager it’s available elsewhere too if you prefer to shop around.

Edit: Upon viewing my reply I see James C has already answered your question. This can happen when a reply lands on a newer page (I didn’t read the whole thread, OOPS).

James C,

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/usb/puppy]http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/usb/puppy[/url]

mystmaiden

#110 Post by mystmaiden »

perfect! thanks folks!

myst

mystmaiden

#111 Post by mystmaiden »

Perfect! Thanks!
oops, repeating myself - sorry first post didn't go through until the second one did.
myst

Zek23

Flash 10

#112 Post by Zek23 »

Well, I downloaded the Flash 10 .pet, and my browser seems to be doing okay. I'll go to myspace and see if the browser holds up. Thanx again for the links.

Zek

Zek23

Bummer

#113 Post by Zek23 »

Nope, unfortunately my browser still doesn't seem to be able to handle myspace, yahoo, or any other site with banners and/or lots of info to transfer. In fact, it seems to be getting worse! Any ideas?

Zek

mikeb

#114 Post by mikeb »

Nope, unfortunately my browser still doesn't seem to be able to handle myspace, yahoo, or any other site with banners and/or lots of info to transfer. In fact, it seems to be getting worse! Any ideas?
bummer.
I don't think you mentioned which puppy version you are using

mike

stevesr0

From a permanent "newbie"

#115 Post by stevesr0 »

I have had experience with linux for a long time (since 1993 or 1994) , but always as a relatively nontechnical user not as a developer or programmer.

I wasn't able to make linux my main OS until I retired a few years ago.

I have been using Puppy as my usual linux distro for ~1.5 yr, probably. I remain a newbie, because I am primarily interested in using the computer to do things, and the "things" keep changing.

Obviously, there is a lot I like about it. Of course, like everyone else, I would like to be able to install any application that exists automagically, and I would like everything out there to work with puppy.

Now my feedback:

When I try something new, more than anything else I need a clear summary of the topic I am interested in.

Unfortunately, these have NOT been easy for me to find. Instead, there are many, many threads with different aspects of the topic I am interested in. It takes me weeks or longer to thrash through things and eventually either give up or find a way to accomplish what I want.

For example, I decided a few months ago to start using a webcam. I picked up a sale package with two cams (a Logitech for notebooks and a Labtec 1200).

I got the Logitech working with Skype (both video and audio) on my laptop and the Labtec with my wife's iMac.

Then, my laptop died and I started using a new one. On this one, the sound card used snd-hd-intel and as I found out, there is a general problem with USB microphone input from webcams. I eventually tried a microphone connected to the microphone input and Uh-duh, it works.

Then I gave the Logitech webcam to one of my grandsons, at my wife's request, so she could have video conversations with him.

I then went back to the forums to select a new webcam. Here I have become involved with the intricacies of different drivers, v4l (and v4l2), mplayer, livestreaming, xawtv, etc.

Interestingly, there is no summary that provides recommendations on selecting a webcam that will work easily under particular versions of puppy and what drivers and other utilities should be used and a simple step-by-step procedure.

I am retired, so I have the time to use and enjoy this, but I hope (in the next 20 years??) to become proficient enough with puppy to spend most of my time just using it.

Steve

Anniekin

#116 Post by Anniekin »

Puppy is commonly praised as being a lite, fast, and minimal distro. So I think alot of people come to it with the fear that it's features or programs might be limited. I'm afraid these fears are reaffirmed perhaps when they try the package manager for the first time. There aren't many major programs in there and what little there are may be difficult to install for the newbie user. Crucial programs such as Thunderbird, Skype, OpenOffice could be added, even though they are readily installable from this forum. It is actually easier to do so, as programs shared on this forum often come with specific instructions. If updating the petget manager is a hassle, maybe just do away with it, and have a comprehensive set of links to the best programs available on this site?

Aside from that it's pretty sharp. But it is not fast only because it has less rather because it was structured in a smart way. Maybe choose one of the derivatives for a "big featured" official release to complement the minimal one?

I agree for example with some of the other posts about Firefox over Seamonkey. Linux users deserve and have come to expect nothing less than the robust functionality of one of it's most famous prodigy. At least a link to getswiftfox.org in the package link manager suggested above?

Anyway the question itself may be irrelevant as puppy5 sounds as if it is on an entirely different plane...

Regards,

walter90

#117 Post by walter90 »

Overwhelmingly I am very satisfied with my Puppy 4.2. I don't like, however, that I can't just copy and paste as I could in Windows. I also would like to see a comprehensive manual included in the release. :D

Sylvander

#118 Post by Sylvander »

1. "I don't like, however, that I can't just copy and paste as I could in Windows"
If you install "X File Explorer" [Xfe], which can display a folder hierarchy PLUS 2 file panes [MUCH better than Windows Explorer]...
(a) You highlight say the left file pane [give it the focus by clicking on it], and then use the folder pane to navigate to a folder.
The contents of that folder [it might be empty] are then displayed in the left file pane.

THEN...
(b) You give the right-hand pane the focus, and use the folder pane to navigate to another folder [different to the 1st?]

(c) Then you might highlight [choose] certain contents of perhaps the right folder, and right click on those and choose either "Copy to..." or "Move to...", and you will be asked [by default] if you want the other pane [or folder] to be the destination.
Just OK that and watch the operation FLYING along at great speed.
[I'm always amazed at the sight]

2. The explanation above probably seems complex, but in practice it's really EASY, and a joy to do.
It feels so CERTAIN in operation.
In Windows Explorer I always feel like the files may go adrift, and end up in the wrong destination, but NEVER so in Xfe.

walter90

#119 Post by walter90 »

Thank you. I will give it a go. It does seem complex but I know once I've run through it a few times it will be easy.

rgoers

Impressive distro - but could use slideshow app.

#120 Post by rgoers »

First of all - I am relatively new to Linux. I've tried a few live CD's (Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc.) in the past. I set up my laptop to dual-boot WinXP and Ubuntu several months ago, since I was relatively impressed with Ubuntu.

However, my latest project - to turn a couple Toshiba Tecra 8000's into digital picture frames - led me to Puppy Linux. I'm working with a PII machine, with 128MB of RAM, and Puppy seemed to be what I needed. The install went flawless, recognizing my CF "hard drive" adapter, as well as my PCMCIA (Orinoco) WiFi card. VERY IMPRESSIVE (IMHO)!!! Especially on such old hardware...

Anyway, after lots of Google searches, I have noted that more than a few people are using Puppy as a platform for digital picture frames, and the common problem I keep seeing is that Puppy lacks a decent slideshow application.

Other than that - Puppy has more than exceeded my expectations. Excellent work... I've been chatting it up at work, and have a few colleagues who are going to be giving Puppy a try.