How to add user accounts to Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
archwndas

How to add user accounts to Puppy?

#1 Post by archwndas »

Dear Puppy community,
I like puppy I use it and really love it. I would be much happier however, if I was able to install some user accounts and had a login screen so that I could loging as a user and not as root.

Why?

Because I have a 64bit Desktop with 8GB of RAM and there I cannot use puppy since it is 32bit only and cannot address the 8GB of RAM. I have puppy installed on my 2GB RAM laptop, where 64bits do not make much sense, but I want to install the most responsive Linux possible and that is puppy. When I rsync -azP my work however, from Desktop to my Laptop and work at home on my source code, the file permissions change. When I copy them back to Desktop some files are not editable and I have manually to change permissions. Changing permissions is doable but it is annoying.

So, is there an easy hack after all these years to allow the Puppy lovers who would like user accounts to go ahead and have enable them?

thank you all,
Archwn.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

ljfr

permissions modes

#3 Post by ljfr »

Hi,
I sometimes share files with some debian based distro and face the same issue.

unfortunately reading Pizzasgood threat, it seems he would not use common users mode. I think it would not help when it comes to file sharing with another distro.

Meanwhile a small script to restore previous permissions or setup a 644 permissions for new files may ease sharing, but it would mean some permissions/file tree to be stored elsewhere anyway...

regards,

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

it seems he would not use common users mode
What does that mean? :?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER